Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   In The Kitchen (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=16)
-   -   Why do my biscuits SUCK?? (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=336694)

Ilikecloth 02-12-2008 07:51 PM

Why do my biscuits SUCK??

I cant not for the life of me make great homemade biscuits!!! How do you do it??

I usually use self rising flour if that really makes a difference...

Also..can you just freeze your biscuits after they are cut out, like the ones you buy that are frozen??

mommyd 02-12-2008 08:05 PM

Re: Why do my biscuits SUCK??

What is your recipe? Most of the time people kneed the dough WAY too much or if your using the mixer..too long.

I'm pretty sure that freezing them would be fine. Just cut them out and lay them on the cookie sheet on some parchment paper. Flash freeze them for about an hour (so they are hard) then put them in a freezer bag.

Ilikecloth 02-12-2008 08:40 PM

usually I just use the recipe on the lily flour bag...something about flour, water(or is it milk) and shortening...

Whats your recipe?? I want GREAT biscuits..all tall and golden brown on top..like hardee's :giggle:

Kestlyn 02-12-2008 08:44 PM

Real butter...soft enough to press but not soft enough to sink your finger into...let's see where my recipe is

Ilikecloth 02-12-2008 09:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kestlynl (Post 2764587)
Real butter...soft enough to press but not soft enough to sink your finger into...let's see where my recipe is

This is probably my problem...I use margarine usually. Just out of habit its what I buy...Do you use Salte or unsalted?? Whats the difference?? obviously salt..but does it taste different?!

mommyd 02-13-2008 07:06 AM

Yes, real butter (softened) is really important. We actually don't use margarine at all because it actually better for you (I know I can't believe it either). For your biscuits you should use salted butter. I keep both on hand because if I'm baking and want to really taste one flavor (maple for instance) then I don't want the salt messing with it. There is a BIG taste difference and if you don't have salted in the fridge you can always just add salt.

Okay my recipe (This is going to be ALOT of trial and error for you, even from day to day mine has to change for the weather) So you just really need to get the basics and then familiarize yourself with the dough.

1 1/2 cups flour
1 Tablespoon sugar
1 Tablespoon baking powder (If your using self rising flour then don't use this)
2/3 cup milk
1/3 cup butter or Crisco (this is in a tub, I use it sometimes if I'm saving the butter for something. Its even better than butter but I feel my butt expanding too much :giggle2: If you use Crisco then be sure to add a teaspoon or two of salt)

PreHeat oven to 425 fahrenheit and prep your pan (I use parchment paper to make sure nothing sticks :thumbsup: )
Sift all dry ingredients into large bowl
Form "well" (just make a bit of a bowl in the flour itself for all the wet stuff to go into)
Add milk and stir just until its mixed good
Add butter or Crisco and mix by hand (or use a pastry cutter) and get it all mixed in.
Flour your counter and dump dough onto it
Knead about 6-7 times
Roll or pat into 1/2 inch and cut biscuits out. (you can use the top of a small glass to cut them :giggle: )
Bake 10-13 minutes

Notes~If you dough is too crumbly then add a bit of milk...too wet add flour.
You can also brush butter over the tops before baking :lostit:

jennsmile 02-13-2008 07:20 AM

I get fluffier biscuits by using canola oil. It is weird. I usually use shortening but for fluffy bisuits I find oil makes them more like McDonalds.

Jenn

Ilikecloth 02-13-2008 10:13 AM

GOOD GRAVY!! Those sound so goooddd...Gonna make some to got with my chili mac Im making tonight...might even add some fresh garlic and cheese, YUMO!

MamaEli 02-13-2008 10:14 AM

Good post. Mine are always flat and tasteless, and I've tried many recipes. I'll definitely give mommyd's a try. Thanks!

mindycat72 02-13-2008 10:22 AM

I usually cut the lard or butter into the dry ingredient mixture, then add buttermilk JUST UNTIL the dough is moistened. DON'T overmix.