Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   Breastfeeding Support (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=14)
-   -   NIP: To cover or not to cover...that is the poll question (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=339628)

quietdusk 02-16-2008 03:28 AM

NIP: To cover or not to cover...that is the poll question

I've always thought women shouldn't have a problem NIPing, but I thought they should cover up. Well, I had my first NIP session a few days ago. I was at my old workplace in the breakroom and I threw a blanket over my shoulders and the baby. Even though I was in an airconditioned room, it got hot fast. I was sweating, the baby was sweating, and I had to keep fanning the blanket just to make it a little cooler. I kept thinking that I really need to get a nursing cover with boning to hold the top open so it'd be a little cooler.

Anyway, I was visiting some advocacy websites and came aross this page: http://www.nurseherenow.com/wst_page5.html. Specifically the section entitled "Don"t Disappear" (it's about halfway down). I think what is said about covering up to nurse is very interesting and wondered what other women thought.
DH is totally unsupportive of the idea of NIPing w/o covering up and just talks about how it's offensive to other ppl.

I Smile Because Of Them 02-16-2008 03:35 AM

Re: NIP: To cover or not to cover...that is the poll question

I voted other. To me it depends on where I am. Most of the time, I don't cover up. DS just gets all crabby and I end up flashing everyone anyway. So I make less of a scene if I don't cover up and you can't even see any part of my breast. Now when I'm at church, I do cover up out of respect for the other women and men there. If I'm around our pastor which we are often, I cover up out of respect for him and his wife. So I think it all depends where I'm at and who I'm around.

Twinklefae 02-16-2008 04:28 AM

Nope, I honestly think that using a blanket just draws attention to yourself. I've nursed everywhere and anywhere and most people come up to talk to me and say "Is he eating? I had no idea!"

I think people who are offended (because it's not like they can see anything) need to worry about themselves and stop staring at me from across a restaurant.

saongiri 02-16-2008 04:44 AM

I wouldn't say I cover up -I don't use a cover or blanket but I am pretty discreet if that makes sense.

lulusmom 02-16-2008 05:00 AM

I am totally philosophically opposed to covering up. It's my child eating, for goodness sakes', and she shouldn't have to be forced to eat underneath a blanket because society has sexualized her food supply to the point that it's somehow "wrong" for her to just eat in public. :thumbsup:

tara 02-16-2008 05:13 AM

I, too, am opposed to covering up. The first couple times I NIP I did but after I became confident there was no way I would. DD is now 21 months and she still NIPs, esp. at restaurants (I guess she gets hungry for her milk course?!) Now, all that said, I wouldn't sit around topless just to give her both "options" :giggle2: I'm on my own little crusade to make others more comfortable with the idea.

haydn'smommy 02-16-2008 05:17 AM

I never covered up when I NIP but I'm very discreet. You don't see anymore of my boob when my ds nurses than you do in some of my lower cut shirts.

FinnegansMom 02-16-2008 06:04 AM

I don't cover up but I nurse discreetly, I tend to wear nursing shirts so I don't have to lift my shirt up to expose my chubby belly, and so on. I am not embarrassed about nursing, and if we were out I would try to find a seat off the beaten path. Now, at 16 months, nursing in public doesn't really happen since he can have a cup but if we are at relatives and he needs to nurse, I'll do it. Especially near naptime since nursing is how he falls asleep. I only use a blanket near his head or slightly covering if he is tired and it helps him fall asleep (he gets SOOO distracted now). I wouldn't cover him up if it was hot and he was sweating, I would not put my child's safety in front of someone's else feeling "awkward" around me nursing.

junejay4life 02-16-2008 07:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lulusmom (Post 2794390)
I am totally philosophically opposed to covering up. It's my child eating, for goodness sakes', and she shouldn't have to be forced to eat underneath a blanket because society has sexualized her food supply to the point that it's somehow "wrong" for her to just eat in public. :thumbsup:

:yeahthat: I couldn't of said it better :)

zosiasmama 02-16-2008 07:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by saongiri (Post 2794365)
I wouldn't say I cover up -I don't use a cover or blanket but I am pretty discreet if that makes sense.

:yeahthat: