Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   Formula Feeding Support (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=101)
-   -   How do you not waste formula? (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=340932)

shmer24 02-17-2008 08:55 PM

How do you not waste formula?

Can you leave it out longer than an hour like the package says? I feel like I'm always dumping out left over and I hate it. Not only is it super expensive, but I just hate waisting. What do you mama's do?

AmandaS 02-17-2008 08:57 PM

Re: How do you not waste formula?

Can you make smaller bottles?

MarinesFamily5 02-17-2008 10:02 PM

we were always told 3 hrs by nurses and such.. on hot days though 1 hr

Mirasmom 02-17-2008 10:04 PM

We do 4 hrs at the hospital- I'm a nurse- we hang a new continuous feeding every 4 hours.

hollissmama 02-17-2008 10:28 PM

We also use it for about 2-3 hours, it depends on the temperature though. If it is in the cold car, longer and in the summer we would just take it into the air-conditioned stores w/ us. We haven't had any issues (it's been 9 months) I'm glad I read this thread though...now I don't feel guilty about using "old formula"...lol.

vickieboggs 02-17-2008 10:36 PM

I have no advice but let me tell you I am bf and when he takes a bottle but not all of it and I have to throw my milk away......that hurts! technically it's free but my time pumping wasn't !! i'd try smaller bottles......you may end up with more frequent feedings though.

LunaBirch 02-18-2008 09:03 AM

We do about 4 hours as well.. and Ive never had an issue with illness with either babe. My 2 yo still is on formula and hes been known to stash a bottle, and drink it later.. sometimes 10-12 hrs and he's never gotten sick from it or anything.

Of course I dont advise going 10+ hours, but IME you can safely go 3-4 hours. And if you refrigerate the unused portion and rewarm it for feeding that works too.. I did that all the time with DS because he waas on Alimentum RTF and it cost over $9 a QUART!

LunaBirch 02-18-2008 09:04 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by vickieboggs (Post 2807575)
I have no advice but let me tell you I am bf and when he takes a bottle but not all of it and I have to throw my milk away......that hurts! technically it's free but my time pumping wasn't !! i'd try smaller bottles......you may end up with more frequent feedings though.

You can refrigerate and use the EBM at the next feeding.. they did this with DD in the NICU.

mma 02-18-2008 09:35 AM

My ds is on a more expensive formula and it would kill us when he decided he didn't want much of a bottle. We just put it in the fridge with a clean nipple and used that for the next feeding (warming and adding more formula if needed). HTH! Now there is rarley a drop left so it's not an issue! :giggle:

shmer24 02-18-2008 09:41 AM

I have been throwing away after like an hour and a half, so this helps a ton, thanks everyone:)