Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   Parenting Talk (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=12)
-   -   poop? (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=3419)

LuAnn 05-04-2006 09:09 AM

poop?

Sorry to be gross, but I have a question about my son going to the bathroom. He just turned a yr on Monday and has been on whole milk for about a month now (started out with an ounce or 2 and worked our way up to thats all hes getting now-been on it for about a month, full-time no formula) and hes been pooping rabbit turds like, what am i missing?? What do I need to give him, he goes all the time, just about every diaper change has poop, but its only a few and they stick to his skin, but are hard, but hes not acting constipated, and he is going. Please tell me what Im missing in his diet now that hes off formula:)
Thanks
LuAnn

P.S, Dont want to hear about giving him whole milk too early,etc. just looking for info

leobaby04 05-05-2006 02:24 PM

Re: poop?

I read that cow's milk can be constipating for some kids. You can switch to soy milk, or just add some foods that will have the opposite effect. My doctor said any fruit that starts with a P helps them poop - prunes, pears, pineapples, plums, etc. Also raisins are good, but be sure to avoid things on the BRAT diet (bananas, rice, applesauce, toast) because they will not help!

myajdw 05-05-2006 08:21 PM

i agree with the post before mine. try fruits and juices. not that he is constipated, he's just having a harder time and could easily become constipated. but don't overdo the fruits and/or juice or the opposite could easily happen as well! so get him going normally again, do the juices and stuff for a few days and then add some fiber stuff as well, wheat germ can be put on tons of stuff and they love it! and some wheat cereal (like malt-o-meal or grits and stuff). this stuff you could even mix some juice in and get it all over with at once!

allycat 05-05-2006 08:41 PM

My dr. told us to give our kids prune juice everyday for their constipation. My kids hate it, but it does help if I can get it in them. I'd be careful of apple juice, as it can produce a lot of gas and diarrhea. I've heard raw milk is much less constipating and then pasturized milk takes out the digestive enzymes that make it easier for us to digest. Haven't tried it yet though, also heard goat's milk is good and easier to digest. I would avoid soy, since this can interfere with hormones and also can cause allergies. My son refuses to drink milk, but he will eat organic yogurt and drink kefir. He seems to do better with those. He has a lot of stomach issues, but he has the opposite, and has diarrhea and vomiting.

Also make sure that he is getting enough water to drink to help food come out more easily:thumbsup: