Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   Pregnancy (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=13)
-   -   Novacaine during pg...Okay? (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=342311)

CarrieAnn0413 02-19-2008 01:45 PM

Novacaine during pg...Okay?

I was supposed to get a cavity filled on Thursday but due to my nasty m/s (all day sickness:yuck: ) I called to postpone it a couple weeks in hopes I am feeling better to deal with the smell of him drilling my tooth. When I called the woman there said I should call my MW and make sure I can have novacaine (sp?) while pregnant and during my first trimester. I am as far as my calculations 6 1/2 weeks. I called my mw's office and talked to one of the nurses and she said that it was fine. But I am a bit freaked. The woman I talked to at the dentists office said something about it can cause contractions and sometimes people wait until the 2nd trimester. I am not sure what to do. Anyone here have novacaine for dental work while pg? what trimester? Any other info is welcome, thanks

jennsmile 02-19-2008 01:48 PM

Re: Novacaine during pg...Okay?

All my research turned up that the best time to get dental work done is during the 2nd trimester. I had 2 teeth filled this pregnancy and it was during my second trimester.

Jenn

shortcake2386 02-19-2008 01:50 PM

i had a 5 part root canal that was finished last week(third trimester) so i would say its ok:thumbsup:my ob said it was fine

Jillybean 02-19-2008 02:07 PM

I had a bad cavity filled at almost 13 weeks. My Dr said it was fine but the dentist wanted to talk to his office first to double check. I think the dental offices just want to cover themselves for liability purposes.

CarrieAnn0413 02-19-2008 02:11 PM

My mw's office will fax a list of safe drugs to my dentist and when I am feeling better I can go get my filling. I am postponing it for 2 wks for now. I hope this m/s lets up a bit. Thanks ladies

Mom2BabiesA&I 02-19-2008 02:21 PM

I was told novicaine or licocaine without epinephrine is ok while pregnant. I have had 2 root canals, 3 extractions and one filling this pregnancy....

mamato5angels 02-19-2008 02:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mom2BabyAaron (Post 2820540)
I was told novicaine or licocaine without epinephrine is ok while pregnant. I have had 2 root canals, 3 extractions and one filling this pregnancy....

:yeahthat:
About the novicaine

I also had a ton of dental work done when I was pregnant (better Ins). I do remember having to have a special kind of Novicaine. I also have a heart murmur that is more pronounced when pregnant although I don't think that made a difference. I had work done all through mine.

Good luck with your tooth and I hope that m/s goes away fast.

Zan 02-19-2008 02:56 PM

i've had novacaine this past pregancy at around 6 weeks and everything was fine. the dentist told me it was safe

Fither 02-19-2008 03:01 PM

i had a ton of dental work done during my second pregnancy, all during the second trimester. my dentist said that novacaine was not safe for pregnant women, and gave me a different drug, though i can't remember the name. it was just as effective at killing the pain, but it will only last one hour, if even that. he was in the middle of one filling when it wore off, and i sat and sobbed in the chair while he finished it. SUCK-OLA.

maybe your dentist is cool with the novacaine b/c it's only one tooth? i had a root canal, three crowns, and a dozen fillings.

one thing, make absolutely sure that they cover your neck with the neck guard on the heavy apron if they need to do an x-ray!

Sweet_Fantasy_Fox 02-19-2008 03:05 PM

I would wait until the second trimester mama. if your in pain, or have a hole in the tooth, you can buy at wlamart a temporary filling kit to cover the hole until second trimester comes around. thats what i did as i wont do dental work while pregnant, especially in the first trimester since the baby is developing all the major organs and stuff during this time:hugs: