Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   In The Kitchen (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=16)
-   -   How do I know which kitchenaid stand mixer to get? (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=344473)

mamjo777 02-21-2008 02:22 PM

How do I know which kitchenaid stand mixer to get?

So, I've been wanting one for years (literally), and I think I'm going to start saving specifically for it! I looked on the kitchenaid website and used the "compare" feature, but it doesn't tell me which is better for what, or why one would be better than the other. Any mommas out there who would like to give me their :2cents: ? TIA!

tommymommy 02-21-2008 03:45 PM

Re: How do I know which kitchenaid stand mixer to get?

What are you going to use it for? I cook mostly for my family only, with the occasional large batches of cookies or mashed potatoes. I got the artisan but probably would have been fine with a classic. Also, the accessory kits are very expensive (I'm only pointing that out because I didn't know until after I bought it, LOL!) Here's mine:

http://www.kitchenaid.com/catalog/pr...t=310&prod=347

I really do love it!

vickul 02-21-2008 03:52 PM

My mom just got a new classic for Christmas ... to replace the one she'd been using for 20+ years. (And she does a LOT of baking.)

My classic is about eight years old now, though it was in storage for several of those years while I was overseas. I debated getting a larger/heavier duty model until I actually used one. For me, at least, the arms on the larger models were a real nuisance.

mom2fussy 02-21-2008 04:30 PM

Oooh, I used to sell them at an upscale kitchen store & I own one. I can definitely help you out!! :mrgreen:

The one I own isn't sold anymore, which is too bad because it had a great combination of features. The Professional 6 Quart models are hard to find now too. BUT a few stores have them on clearance - if you can find one & have the money for it, grab it!! Otherwise, that leaves 3 main kinds: Classic, Artisan, & Professional 5 Qt.

All of them have solid metal construction for the body & for most of the parts. The beater rotates in the same pattern & they all have 10 speeds. The Professional has solid metal gears too. But for most home use, that shouldn't be a factor.

The two BIG considerations are HOW you're going to use it & how MUCH you're going to make at one time. Are you just going to use the mixer for making cookies, doughs, etc.? Are you planning on using some of the attachments? If so, the pasta attachment, the juicer, & the slicer/shredder/puree attachment should work fine with any of the models. But if you want to grind your own meats and *especially* if you want to grind your own grains, consider the Professional model. It has a much higher horse power/wattage that you'll really appreciate. The grain mill in particular doesn't work well with the smaller models.

That said, here are the stats for the models:

Classic - 250 watts, 4.5 quart bowl, "flour power" of 8 cups
Artisan - 325 watts, 5Q bowl, "flour power" of 9 cups
Professional 5 Quart - 450 watts, 5Q bowl, "flour power" of 12 cups
Professional 6 Quart - 575 watts, 6Q bowl, "flour power" of 14 cups

The flour power is how much flour the mixer can handle without locking up or slowing down. Practically speaking, the Classic can handle 1 batch of cookies or 2 loaves of bread. The Artisan can handle a double recipe of cookies or 3-4 loaves of bread. The Pro 5 Qt can handle 2-3 batches of cookies or 4-6 loaves of bread, and the Pro 600 (6 Qt) can easily handle 3 batches of cookies or 6-8 loaves of bread.

A few other comments, just FYI:
- The Professional models have the "bowl lift" design, meaning you turn a crank that raises or lowers the bowl into position. Some people hate that, others don't care (or prefer it). The Classic & Artisan are "tilt head".
- The Professional models are louder, due to the higher wattage and the metal gears.
- I don't recommend buying directly from KitchenAid. Their prices are almost always higher than other retail stores. Search around online & at local stores before you buy.

natesgirl 02-21-2008 06:55 PM

we have a pro and it works so well i can make big or small batches of anything in it... i use it alot

mamjo777 02-21-2008 07:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tommymommy (Post 2842771)
What are you going to use it for? I cook mostly for my family only, with the occasional large batches of cookies or mashed potatoes. I got the artisan but probably would have been fine with a classic. Also, the accessory kits are very expensive (I'm only pointing that out because I didn't know until after I bought it, LOL!) Here's mine:

I really do love it!

Thank you! I will be useing it for bread, cookies, batters, and maybe to grind grains. I would also love to make pasta with it, but that won't happen till my kids are more independent :giggle:

benjaminsmom 02-21-2008 09:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tommymommy (Post 2842771)

I really do love it!

I have it in black! LOVE IT! DH got it for me with airmiles for our 1st anniversary. :wub:

I don't think I would like the crank to raise the bowl. Tilt is the way to go IMO! Good Luck in your decision!

trastull 02-25-2008 04:52 PM

Mom2fussy has great information!!!

I got the Pro 6 because I wanted to know that it wasn't going to bog down when I made bread. I make my homemade noodle dough, cookie dough, bread, cakes etc...

I definantly wouldn't trade it for a lower model... I know that whatever I ask it to do it will do.

I bought most of the attachments. Still need the noodle press, & grain grinder but will get those in time...

I don't mind the lift up bowl feature... I think most people don't like it because it is a little more work to get your ingredients in than a tilt.

rachel_o 02-26-2008 05:51 PM

I just got a hand-me-down artisan and I'm thrilled about that, but if I actually purchased one myself I'd get one of the larger ones. The bowl on the artisan is kind of skinny and it's tricky to pour into, and if I had the larger bowl I'd figure out some way to fill it. :)

Watch for sales and ads...I've seen them for $100 off, or even more on a day-after thanksgiving or special department store sales. If you're saving and you start getting an idea for how low the sales go now, by the time you're ready to buy it you should be able to spot a really good deal.

Have fun!:thumbsup:

artemis33 02-26-2008 06:34 PM

I have a classic and wish I had gotten a more powerful model. I do like the tilt back feature, but mine bogs down so much that I don't bother bread making in it. I do use it for cookies, pizza dough, etc. I have a pasta attachment, but haven't used it yet.