Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   Parenting Talk (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=12)
-   -   " no two year old should be wearing a diaper" (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=348252)

ShayneLeMaster 02-25-2008 08:19 PM

" no two year old should be wearing a diaper"

Is what my grandmother (birth mother of 4 raised my mom and her brother who is one year younger for all of 18m then lost custody in messed up self "induced" situation to her mother ,my great grandmother and "raised" my other two uncles from birth..)said to my 20.5m old son

She gets in these " moods" and says nasty stuff to me, and the next week it will be to someone else, and I am her " favorite" its annoying to say the least...

But she came over the other day *itching about my brother (23) who has stayed with us for a week and will continue to stay with us for a couple more weeks ( he just left his girlfreind/mother of his alleged child because he discovered she was on methadone (sp?) among other things and paying for on her back..;).. but anyway saying my brother is a grown man (yes he is) and shouldn't be staying with us he needs to get his own place...( well how ,when he's paying rent for her to stay in the apt they shared along with bills, his car payment etc..and he gets paid every 2 weeks and hasn't even gotten a check since the "seperation") anyway that aside..she turns to my son (21m) and says you need to pee in the potty and starts cutting into me about how he needs to be potty trained before the baby gets here or my life is going to be hell blah blah blah.... yea ideally the sooner he is potty trained the easier my life could be but seriously...he's 20.5m old... and has shown very little interest in PL..like he's just noticed when he pee's like when he's out of the tub and pees in the bathroom floor before I can wrap him up in a towel...lol

But my rant aside...should I introduce the potty "harder" ? In hopes he won't relapse once the baby is here? Or just worry about it later? And have two cute boys in cloth until......

5littlemonkeys 02-25-2008 08:22 PM

Re: " no two year old should be wearing a diaper"

In my opinion 21 monthes is definatly not to old to be in diapers.I wouldnt push him at all he will potty train when he is ready.

3inclothdiapers 02-25-2008 08:29 PM

In my experience it's easier to wait until they are a bit older, then it only takes a short time for them to totally get it. I think if you push him now he IS more likely to relapse. My first didn't PL until she was 3 years and 1 month. So, I had 3 kids in diapers for a short time (my 3rd baby was born a month before she turned 3). I did try to PL her before ds2 was born, but she just wasn't interested. Turns out it was better that way. Things were settled down from having the baby, then traveling for Christmas, and we were able to get into a routine, and THEN work on PL. It only took her a couple of days and she stayed dry during the day all the time.

My boys PL at ages 2 years 9 months and 2 years 6 months. We've done it a little earlier each time, but I don't think I'd do it before the 2 years 6 months, especially with a boy! (Both my PL boys have tended to keep pooping in their underwear even after being pee trained, and it seemed like it was just something they needed time to outgrow)

onlygirl 02-25-2008 08:30 PM

after pting two and now with 2 2year olds in dipes, the kid will train on his time. no worries. people did used to train there kids earlier, but it took alot of *** beatings and harshness, some kids just train young naturally. some dont. my two year olds dont even notice when they piss on the floor yet ugh, i would so love to be done with dipes.

jewelmcjem 02-25-2008 08:39 PM

Frankly, it's easier to have two in diapers than to have a new-to-the-potty toddler you have to run to the bathroom every little bit when you have a newborn at home! He'll learn to potty when he's ready and not another minute before that. No need to add stress when you've got a new one coming. Two used to be the magic age when babies were potty trained. I say the moms were trained, not the babies. Now it's much more common for it to be closer to three. Of my four kids, they all trained just after three. I"m doing EC with the new babe, we'll see if she learns any earlier.

tasbaby 02-25-2008 08:48 PM

My boy is almost 3 and not fully potty trained. He's been interested in the potty for a long time (seriously, like 6 months or more), but has not been consistent in going so he's still in trainers almost all of the time. I would not worry about it at all mama, especially since you've got another little one on the way. If he shows lots of interest, you can try, but don't push him just yet.

mommyof2wildboys 02-25-2008 08:49 PM

My DS turned 3 a month after DS2 was born. We had been working on PLing since he was about 2 1/2 but it wasn't going so well, I was worried he would regress when DS2 was born, but he didn't. He wasn't fully trained during the day until about 3 or 4 months after he turned 3. He is almost 4 now and still has to wear pull ups to bed.

MarinesFamily5 02-25-2008 08:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mommyof2wildboys (Post 2880086)
My DS turned 3 a month after DS2 was born. We had been working on PLing since he was about 2 1/2 but it wasn't going so well, I was worried he would regress when DS2 was born, but he didn't. He wasn't fully trained during the day until about 3 or 4 months after he turned 3. He is almost 4 now and still has to wear pull ups to bed.

:yeahthat: only we started when DS was 2 and gave up when DD was born becasue he had no interest. he finally got the hang of it this last November... we got him a peter potty! with DH deploying I was sure he would have a set back but he sleeps in undies now!

MarinesFamily5 02-25-2008 08:58 PM

I have no clue how to PL DD... no "peter potty" for a girl!

and mama... you know how she is, just try to remember she never had to PL a child as she is blabing away about your parenting!

kissum 02-25-2008 09:07 PM

21 months is so young to use the potty- I'd wait until the LO shows more interest.