Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   In The Kitchen (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=16)
-   -   Recipes for "beef for stewing" OTHER than beef stew? (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=354939)

Manna00 03-04-2008 08:57 AM

Recipes for "beef for stewing" OTHER than beef stew?

Anyone have a recipe? We have like a tube of meat in the freezer that says "Beef for stewing"--I'm assuming that just means it's tough meat and needs to be cooked slowly. Anyone have any recipes that this stuff might work for?

lancelotacres 03-04-2008 02:01 PM

Re: Recipes for "beef for stewing" OTHER than beef stew?

I use most of my tough beef cuts for crock pot meals. Beef stroganoff is our favorite and we are actually having it for supper tonight. Here is the recipe:

2-3# of beef (swiss steak, sirloin steak, whatever you have) cut into 3 inch strips.

1/2 cup flour
2 teaspoons salt
1/8 teaspoon pepper
1/2 teaspoon dry mustard (works ok without this)

Mix dry ingredients and then stir in beef strips. (I do it all in the crockpot to save washing a bowl).

Add 2-3 med onions, cut into rings.

Add 3 small cans mushrooms (drained).

Mix all into the beef strips/flour mixture.

Add 10 1/2 oz beef broth (I always use boullion).

Add 1/4 Cup dry white wine (or just water works ok)

Mix well, cook on low heat for 8-10 hours.

Once it's done, mix 1/4 cup flour with 1 1/2 cups of sour cream. Add this mixture to the crockpot and stir well.

Serve over noodles.

It's yummy :)

mhaddon 03-04-2008 02:03 PM

you could make a roast out of it... we use liption french onion and it is yummy but still takes a while :(

Rachaelbee 03-04-2008 02:09 PM

I made a roast last night 325 or 350 for at least 2-3 hours.

I have a bunch left over that I'll throw into a pot at around 3:30ish and let it simmer, with beef broth, and add in carrots and potatoes and make a stew

or you could make strognoff, I usually take a brown gravy packet, mix it with a bit of sour cream, add in my meat, and serve over noodles or mashed potatoes or bread.

newtocding 03-04-2008 02:32 PM

I have used it for veggie soup (dh likes meat in EVERYTHING!!) and beef n noodles.

newtocding 03-04-2008 02:51 PM

I have used it for veggie soup (dh likes meat in EVERYTHING!!) and beef n noodles.

angelnavywife 03-04-2008 03:35 PM

We got stew meat when we bought our side of beef, and I made stir fry with it, and chopped some up even more and made steak tacos with it (yum). But mine came as little cubes already, not a big roast.

Mary484 03-07-2008 10:54 AM

Other than beef stew, our two main uses for stew beef is Chili and a mexican dish called quisado. Pronounced gee-sa-though. For chili we use it in adition to ground beef.

Quisado is easy, it's basically beef stew, with a tomato broth. You're going to use a deep skillet or a larger pot. Season your meat however you want to. Get your pan heated up and then drizzle some olive oil in it. Drop your meat in and brown. You don't need to drain your meat. Add in some cut up carrots, and a couple of the tiniest cans of Hunts tomato sauce. Cover and simmer for 20 minutes. Add cut up potatos, and if you need to, another can of tomato sauce. Cook until the potatoes are tender. Toss in a can of green beans and a can of fireroasted tomatos. Serve with beans and tortillas. There's not really any specific measurements, because this is a recipe we make by feel and looks.