Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   Forum Use Questions - Ask the Pros (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=8)
-   -   Ok Canadians - teach me your shipping secrets! (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=355524)

zuma54321 03-04-2008 06:26 PM

Ok Canadians - teach me your shipping secrets!

I sold my first diapers today and went to the Post Office to ship them. It ended up costing me $7.20 to ship 2 diapers in one envelope plus $1.89 for the envelope via ground mail through Canada Post from Ontario to New York. I ended up turning down the delivery confirmation I was recommended to get because that was an extra $6.50!! I knew Canada Post was expensive, but this seemed ridiculous to me. How can delivery confirmation be 75cents in the US and $6 here?? Insane!! Are there some secrets I don't know about? I will be wanting to sell more diapers in the future as DS outgrows them, but at this price shipping will cost almost as much as I would get paid for the diapers yielding me no profit (luckily the ones I sent today were expensive diapers so I made a little money back). I am thinking $2 for an envelope is rip off and I will have to try to come up with a better solution for that. How are any of you making any money selling from Canada? Or are you just selling the diapers out of the goodness of your heart so someone else can get some use out of them? Is shipping cheaper if I would have sold them to someone in Canada? I guarenteed DH that I would make nearly half the money I spent on these cloth diapers by selling them when I was done with them, but now I am thinking I won't make a cent. Tell me what you do and how you make this profitable. Please!

crystalanne79 03-04-2008 06:31 PM

Re: Ok Canadians - teach me your shipping secrets!

I honestly can't afford the shipping Canada Post charges so everything I sell I try to sell on local sites like in my case usedwinnipeg.com. That way you can get your full value and they come pick it up from you. Shipping just isn't worth it unless it's a very expensive yet light and small item.

Maple_Sugar_Designs 03-04-2008 06:38 PM

I have no secrets for you either. I keep selling stuff and Canada Post takes most of the money I make :( It just cost me $10 +$2 for an envelop to ship something to Ottawa. It's nuts.

ajk 03-04-2008 06:39 PM

:hugs:, shipping from Canada is really expensive. Smaller items like covers and pocket diapers can be sent in an regular envelope as a light packet which costs <$2.00 to the US but for larger items what you paid sounds right. Shipping within Canada is even more expensive though. I hate having stuff laying around unused so I will usually just have the shipping eat into my profits.

Deanner03 03-04-2008 06:53 PM

I work in the US, I drive things over and ship them from there.

Sorry, I'm no help!

lunabelle 03-04-2008 10:06 PM

Has anyone looked into using Fedex or UPS or something like that instead?

joanna19 03-04-2008 10:10 PM

shipping can post stinks.:yuck:
but if you can get it flat enough and fit it through the plastic slot thing they have at the po, it is usually 2-4 $ depending on the weight and dimensions. most dipes don't usually qualify for this unfort. since they are so big sometimes.

i have an item up and the shipping for it is bad since it is a bigger, heavier dipe. i may just have to bite the bullet and eat some of it, but story of my life at the same time. i must have lost tons in shipping from here.

mikeybro1 03-04-2008 10:31 PM

First off, get some of those poly mailers for free by getting a VentureOne card through Canada Post. Once you have that business card thing, you can log onto their website and input your info and order an "ebay pack" for free. This includes the free polymailers. Yay!

Next, I highly recommend getting a scale. I ordered one from ebay. It cost me about $25 shipped and everything. It was worth every penny.

Now you can weigh and measure your stuff and price it accordingly. I print my shipping labels right through paypal.

IF I can get it under 2cms (and that is RARE), it will cost $2 or $4 to ship to the US. If it's over 2cms, but still "light", it will cost $5.05. If it's heavier, it's $7.20. Only a big lot cost $10.40...that's over 1kg I think.

As a general rule, I keep in my mind that MOST diapers will cost me $5 to ship...so I figure that into my price that I'm charging. I offer discounts for people buying more than one diaper too since often I can ship 2 diapers for the $5.

Anyways, I don't think there is any real tricks other than knowing your prices.

Oh to ship within Canada is NASTY. You can figure about $10 to ship even one diaper unless you can fit it as lettermail (under 2cms). Your cheapest method in Canada is often to buy a Prepaid envelope (ONLY IF you're shipping Regional will this be cheaper). The prepaid envelopes are $7 something I think within your region. If you are shipping clear across Canada, don't buy the envelope, ship it parcel...it'll cost you about $10.

Make the www.Canadapost.ca site your friend and really get to know your prices...it sucks that they're so high, but I like knowing what I'm going to pay at least. It makes it easier to price my diapers too.

shandi 03-04-2008 10:51 PM

Unfortunately there aren't many shipping secrets to give, it is just darn expensive :(
The only thing that is halfway reasonable is when it is super light and less than 2 cm so it can go light packet international...$2 to $4 like pp have said. IME that only pertains to say 1 or 2 pocket diapers (no inserts), a cover, a wool soaker or pair a of shorties.
Also if you're shipping a number of things, or a slightly heavier item to the US it's not so bad. I've mailed a few baby carriers and wraps for around $10 but they are worth quite a bit more than most diapers so the shipping doesn't hurt so much.

Shipping within Canada is even worse, so I don't even bother usually. Unfortunately this discourages me from buying from Canadian WAHM's sometimes because there is no way I'm going to pay $10 shipping for one diaper! So if I do, I make sure I buy things in multiples.

What I do with FS stuff usually is:
1) Try to sell it locally first. This works well with well known diapers, but not so well with my Hyena diapers since no one here knows what they are :giggle:
2) Ship from the US since my inlaws live down there and I save all my FS stuff until we go to visit!

b'smom 03-04-2008 10:53 PM

I usually try Craigslist first for selling before posting here. If it doesn't sell there, than I just eat the shipping cost here on DS.