Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   Parenting Talk (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=12)
-   -   My Ped is Crazy! (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=355981)

Lorie 03-05-2008 09:02 AM

My Ped is Crazy!

Ok I seriously think she is!!!

At DS's 2 mo check up she suggested starting juice. OMG I have heard and read everywhere that they don't need juice and not to start it too early. Of course we didn't and DS does not drink juice at all to this day (He is 8 mo tommorrow) partially cause he doesn't like it though.

Then the other day I had to take him in cause he was sick and she was a total idiot! I mean come on if you are going to be a Pediatrician please inform yourself. First they looked at me like I was crazy for using Cloth (he wore cloth at his 2 mo check up I guess she forgot) and asked why I would want to do that. Then she wanted to see if he had a diaper rash (since cloth causes diaper rash :headscratch: )

Here are the two that really ticked me off though. After asking me what and how much he eats she proceeded to tell me she only wants him to have 3 bottles a day and I am not feeding him enough solids if he is waking up in the night hungry. I am giving him 5, 6oz bottles a day and 3 meals of solids. He is just right in size and weight and growing well. I have read that if the amount of solids causes the formula intake to drop below 32 oz a day to cut back on the solids so does that mean she wants me to give him 3, 11 oz bottles?

Ok this one really got my panties in a wad she told me not to hold him and just put him on the floor at home. Excuse me? I give him a few hours of floor time everyday but I am da#$ed if I am going to leave him on the floor all day! Not only do we have hard wood floors we hold, cuddle asnd babywear all the time.

I wonder what she would have said if I told her I make all my baby food and I wear DS around the house when I can? Oh and we compost kitchen waste and have a worm farm going?

I am so livid I almost forgot about the vaxs. I didn't get DS's 4 mo and 6 mo routine vaccinations and she was really mad so she prescribed him antibiotics for his cold along with breathing treatments and cough medicine. She doesn't realize that some people don't vaccinate!!! And by the way he is more sick now with all that stuff then when I took him in! I asked if she though it was bacterial since antibiotics only work on bacterial infections and she said "well since you didn't get him vaccinated this is what i want to do just in case."

We have a checkup tommorrow so what do you think I should do or say? I am thinking of wearing him in my MeiTai just to freak out the nurses who are super snoby. They are one of the only two Pediatricians in town and are mean I think. They all talk down to you and treat you like your second class.

MamaSpi 03-05-2008 09:05 AM

Re: My Ped is Crazy!

OMG run!!! I probably would have asked to see her medical license after hearing her spew that crap. She seriously needs an education. Does she work in a medical group? If so I would recommend writing a letter to the head of the practice about her - seriously. I bet a lot of parents are doing just what she says. I wouldn't let her touch my kids.

-Jamie

Lorie 03-05-2008 09:25 AM

Her and her husband have their own office. He is a surgeon I believe and she is a Ped.

The other one here in town has a bad rep too so I think mommy will have to be the Dr. for now.

TexasMama2B 03-05-2008 09:31 AM

NEVER GO BACK!! My doctor doesn't agree with everything I do... For example we skipped a couple of vaxes that we didn't want. He was very respectful of our wishes, though he quietly gave us a pamphlet on vaccinations to "help us with any questions we might have." We didn't start solids until about 2-3 months after he suggested, but he is always so respectful and wants us to know that we are taking good care of our baby, even if it is not exactly what he would do. You should be able to find a doctor who can be respectful of you as a parent and also who actually KNOWS something about baby's health. I mean juice at 2 months? That is insane! Juice has so much sugar in it, and formula/BM gives them everything they need until they are one year old, nutritionally. What kind of quack thinks that juice is a good idea at 2 months?

ETA: After reading that there is only one other doctor in your town, I was thinking maybe you could doctor yourself and then if there is something really major that your baby needs to see the doc for, would it be possible for you to drive to another town? Also, the people at my local health/herbal store are GENIUSES and know more about how the body works than most doctors. Do you have anything like that in your town?

Prettylocks 03-05-2008 09:39 AM

What a quack! Never go back! :dontlikeit:

Find a ped in the next town over maybe? As they get older well visits aren't as often. Do as much as you can to keep ypur baby healthy so you can avoid the ped as much as possible. My SIL had this great book called Your Vital Child that I want to get a copy of. How to have a Healthy Child Despite you Doctor by Mendleson is a good one, too. That one is a bit extreme but does have great info.

mommypatton521 03-05-2008 09:42 AM

wow i'd have a new pedi like yesterday LOL

Lorie 03-05-2008 09:44 AM

I wish we had a health food/herbal store but not in this town. :banghead:

I am interested in herbal or homeopathic to keep us healthy and away from this Doc. Where should I look for good info?

Right now only DH has a cold ( upper sinus, sore throat ect.)

TexasMama2B 03-05-2008 12:49 PM

I have a book called "Natural Baby and Childcare" By Dr. Lauren Feder. It talks about several different types of treatment, including use of essential oils, poutices and stuff like that. You may have to buy some things online, but they do have some homeopathic stuff at Walgreen's and places like that. I use Humphrey's teething pellets from Walgreen's which are AMAZING and homeopathic. Weak camomile tea can be very soothing for a child with a cold. I have some Mullein-Garlic eardrops that work really well. Warm baths, doing a steam with Eucalyptus oils and stuff- these are things that our grandmothers or great grandmothers used out of necessity. Just thinking "What would they do in Little House on the Prairie" really helps me to think outside the box and keep from running to the doctor all the time, which is tempting! Also, www.babycenter.com has a natural/alternative parenting board and the ladies on there know alot about home-based medicine.

Lorie 03-05-2008 01:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TexasMama2B (Post 2957608)
Just thinking "What would they do in Little House on the Prairie" really helps me to think outside the box and keep from running to the doctor all the time, which is tempting!

I love that quote. I actually have some german chammomile seeds started for this Springs garden.

moonphishers 03-05-2008 01:18 PM

You've already got some great advice, and all I can add is this --------> RUN AWAY!

:giggle:

:beafraid:

How close is the nearest town that has other pedis??