Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   Diaper Chatter and Q & A (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=10)
-   -   Adopt a Newbie!!!! Please repost after #1800 if you still need a BS (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=358938)

jee_jee 03-08-2008 08:47 AM

Adopt a Newbie!!!! Please repost after #2200 if you still need a BS

UPDATE#13
ok so hopefully you all have PM'd each other once you've found a BS or LS.
IF YOU HAVE NOT BEEN ADOPTED OR STILL AVAILABLE, please repost on the last page or any post after #2000 and hopefully that will weed out the mamas who still need somebody.:thumbsup:
!:goodvibes:

Ok so with all the newbies coming aboard I am thrilled that the CD'ing world is growing and becoming more mainstream. But it makes me sad when a newbie PM's me and is so frustrated and confussed....... or even worse when we catch a scammer dead in its tracks about to scam one of them (us too) and they give up and leave DS altogether. So its enough of us experienced mamas here that can give a helping hand and help them learn the ropes. BTW "experienced mama" is NOT determined by time only, rather time and exposure to different methods and types of CD's and other subject matters, like wet bags, wipes, diaper sprayers, washing and storage routine, buying and selling. etc etc.

So I thought the main benefits of something like this might be:
* To help and support the new CD mama when she has questions. This might lessen the amount of posts that ask the same questions that have been answered several times. Also she will get more insight from her big sister rather than have somebody just tell her its been asked already or just be ignored altogether, not saying she cant post her question but asking a designated person might be more helpful.

* To integrate them into the community and get to know the newbies. This might help with not being so warry of scammers, if she has a big sister that might be able to vouch for her from the communication shes had with her to reassure a buyer wanting to purchase from a newbie. Many times if we see that a newbie is active in the other parts of our community, we trust them more.

* To help them with the buying and selling. We can help them to watch out for signs of being scammed or advise them or give them a heads up on a good or bad deal. Like maybe she sees something on craigslist thats way over priced and asked your opinion first, you could let her know you've seen a better deal some place else....... or you yourself are selling that certain thing and can give her a better deal.

*Also we can help them determine an asking price when they're ready to sell something and what condition it should be in so that they dont get grief from the buyer for sending something that wasn't really as described. This is an innocent mistake I have experienced from buying from a newbie and its annoying but understandable.

*Give them a sense of bonding and belonging. I see many newbies feel left out because nobody will take the time to answer their posts... or laugh at their jokes in a popular thread:giggle2: and imagine watching a mama grow from buying gerber prefolds from walmart to having the best stash around and even a few more kids. You would feel so close to her to have gone through that with her.

Theres tons of other benefits I think, and I welcome suggestions or moderator guidance to make this happen.
I was thinking maybe a newbies who want a big sister can post here, and then a "not so new" mama can quote her to adopt her and then pair up from there. Eventually your newbie wont be so new anymore and then the relationship can evolve into an equal, same level type friendship or maybe just dissolve completely with no hard feelings. (not everybody is compatible forever)

GUIDELINES
~To be a big sister you do not need a certain post count but it would be nice if you only volunteer if you feel you really can help support and guide a newbie.

~We ask that EVERYONE participating post here so that we see who you are. This is to also safeguard our community from scammers who volunteer to help someone through a PM, but only with the intention to take advantage of their lack of knowledge and perhaps sell them some junk or take their money with no goods in return.

~ you can take on as many newbies as you feel you can support.

~follow the pairing up guidelines in post #23-25

~ for the tweeners, those who dont know if they are big sister or need one. I feel you guys could probably be big sisters as long as you know youre way around DS and have built a useful and active stash and have an actual baby that you use it with. I say this because you have been through the rough parts and confusing stage of getting started. Let's not forget that our big sisters are not our sole resource, we still have the message board for further info. If there's something she cant answer, then start a new post to ask other mamas or use the search function.

lilbitcrunchy 03-08-2008 08:51 AM

Re: Adopt a Newbie!!!!

I think it's a lovely idea...note my siggy :giggle2: I hunt for threads with zero replies.

BIG SISTER AVAILABLE!

I'm a SAHM to my 5 mos old daughter. I've been cding for about 3 mos and in that time have learned so much. I've tried, flats, prefolds, fitteds, pockets and AIOs lol. We use wool, fleece and pul covers as well. I can help anyone! I don't have experience with making diapers however or cding older children.

spencebabie 03-08-2008 08:51 AM

NEWBIE TAKEN

oooh this sounds SO GOOD! i feel like a dork asking questions and i dont want to make anyone mad by posting the same questions that someone just asked the other day . if anyone wants to be my "big sister" iwould love it! dd is 4 1/2 months old and we just got our first fluffy this week- 3 pocket swaddlebees- i have many more dipes on the way..just waiting for the mail man....

eilla05 03-08-2008 08:54 AM

Newbie here..

this would be fantastic :)

jee_jee 03-08-2008 08:55 AM

Also wanted to add that newbies should understand that your big sister might not immediately be available to answer your questions all the time or maybe not even know all the answers. We still have the forum resources.

Also maybe we can tell a bit about ourselves to make mroe compatible relationships. like maybe where youre located, how many kids you have, what diapering systems are your favorite, your age, or a estimated age :giggle2: whatever comes to mind that might be good info to hook up with somebody.

also if you feel you can handle more than 1 little sister, feel free!
heather (lovinbabygabi) GET IN HERE and HELP girlfriend! :goodvibes:

Andrea ~2forus~ 03-08-2008 08:57 AM

I think it is a great idea, how new is a newbie???

I have not been here very long but I do know a lot about pockets and such. I just dont know anything about all the other things. IE. fitted and flats

spacetygrss 03-08-2008 08:58 AM

Sounds like a great idea!

We've been at this for 7 months and we've tried just about every TYPE of diaper so I think that I could lend some insight to a newbie.

RJmomof4 03-08-2008 08:58 AM

I would love to be a big sister, I think I have been threw it all lol.

lilbitcrunchy 03-08-2008 08:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jee_jee (Post 2984085)
Also wanted to add that newbies should understand that your big sister might not immediately be available to answer your questions all the time or maybe not even know all the answers. We still have the forum resources.

Also maybe we can tell a bit about ourselves to make mroe compatible relationships. like maybe where youre located, how many kids you have, what diapering systems are your favorite, your age, or a estimated age :giggle2: whatever comes to mind that might be good info to hook up with somebody.

also if you feel you can handle more than 1 little sister, feel free!
heather (lovinbabygabi) GET IN HERE and HELP girlfriend! :goodvibes:

:giggle2: Ok ok lol. That's a good point. I've only been doing this for 3 ish mos but I've tried a ton. I'm currently happy with my stash of fitteds, flats, pfs and Thirsties AIOs. Gabi is almost 5 mos so I'd love to help someone who's baby is in the same age range....Oh Stacey!!! The only topics I can't attest to is stuff for older kids like diaper sprayers, trainers and such. I can take as many mamas as you give me :giggle2:

sweetietooth 03-08-2008 09:00 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by spenebabie (Post 2984053)
oooh this sounds SO GOOD! i feel like a dork asking questions and i dont want to make anyone mad by posting the same questions that someone just asked the other day . if anyone wants to be my "big sister" iwould love it! dd is 4 1/2 months old and we just got our first fluffy this week- 3 pocket swaddlebees- i have many more dipes on the way..just waiting for the mail man....

Okay Stacey, I'm "adopting" you! :hugegrin: (um, if that's cool :blush: )

I'll shoot you a pm if Heather hasn't already!
:highfive: