Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   Breastfeeding Support (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=14)
-   -   Dairy problem, or just how they are? (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=36033)

Kimmomy2dom 08-29-2006 11:24 PM

Dairy problem, or just how they are?

The twins are a week and two days. Just these past couple of days they've gotten REALLY cranky compared to how they were before. I'm having a hard time remembering back to when Dominic was this small, so I'm not sure what's going on. I didn't know if this is just what happens when they hit a certain age, or maybe if they have issues with dairy in my diet? They're pretty much exclusively breastfed, and I've been having my daily coffee with creamer, etc. and wonder if I should just try cutting it out for a certain period of time to see if it's the dairy. We have caffeine at other times of the day, etc. and that doesn't seem to be what's effecting them.
Any other ideas? They're just getting to be pretty high maintenance, and the sling isn't doing it for them either. :(

Hayley 08-30-2006 12:18 AM

Re: Dairy problem, or just how they are?

First off :hugs: to you momma I could never balance 3 and 2 of them being twins! :goodvibes: Now I would definatley try to eleminate some of the dairy intake to see if that is the problem. Noah was 5 months old before I found out myself with no help from his dr that he was in fact allergic to DAiry not lactose dairy. poor kid would scream bloody murder every night around the same time I could not figure it out then i realized it was from the dairy I took in! poor kid then I switched him from lactose free to soy. I never saw him drink a bottle faster ever it was like he had never had one before! I breast feed but i had to supplement to help him out while i figured out what to do now he is just fine with the way I am with my diet. try a food journal on your self and see what happens.

Good luck!

:hugs:

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kimmomy2dom
The twins are a week and two days. Just these past couple of days they've gotten REALLY cranky compared to how they were before. I'm having a hard time remembering back to when Dominic was this small, so I'm not sure what's going on. I didn't know if this is just what happens when they hit a certain age, or maybe if they have issues with dairy in my diet? They're pretty much exclusively breastfed, and I've been having my daily coffee with creamer, etc. and wonder if I should just try cutting it out for a certain period of time to see if it's the dairy. We have caffeine at other times of the day, etc. and that doesn't seem to be what's effecting them.
Any other ideas? They're just getting to be pretty high maintenance, and the sling isn't doing it for them either. :(

Julesmom23girls 08-30-2006 08:07 AM

Definately try cutting out or back on the dairy, my DD was cranky from birth it seemed (I mean in the hosp too) and it took me 2 mo to reallize all the milk I was drinking was upsetting her, I would drink probably 3-12 oz glasses a day. I just stopped drinking the milk and saw a huge improvement, probably would have been even better if I had cut all dairy out, but I was already giving up my milk. Worth trying at least, it may take a week or so to see any change. If the dairy doesn't seem to be the issue, then try cutting something else out like wheat. I can't remember the list of usual suspects but you should be able to find it pretty easily, or someone here can give you some ideas.

MamaMel 08-30-2006 10:48 AM

It could be dairy but are they having any other symptoms?

Such as
Trouble bf, like not wanting to b/c of stomach upset
Gas
Rashes

How I found of is my DD would have horrible gas all the time and some rashes also.

Also remember that all babies have a fussy period that they eventually grow out of

:hugs: and LMK if they have other symptoms and I can further help you (I am dairy free) PM me!

Kimmomy2dom 08-30-2006 11:19 AM

They're both asleep right now *sigh* LOL. I've been waiting for this since yesterday. They were up a lot yesterday, too. They wouldn't sleep unless someone's finger was in their mouths and they would cry a little in their sleep. One is in a swing, and the other is next to my leg.
No rashes (Lola's crotch looked a little red last night, but I think the dipe was tight or something, no bumps or anything). They seem to poop more than they fart (well, you know - farting w/o pooping, LOL).
They haven't wanted to latch on as much, but they each have been getting the same boob at every feeding for a day. I wonder if they get sick of it. they also seem to want to venture out of the football hold, so cross-cradle seems to be working well.
I wonder if it was just a fussy few days. we did give them a bath last night and they looked like they were in love, LOL. In utero memories or something. I hope they keep feeling better!

aschrimp 08-30-2006 11:43 AM

I may be in the minority here...but babies do tend to get fussier around 2-3 weeks old. I wouldn't take that immediately to be a dairy problem (and my ds *does* have a diary problem, so I'm not one of those people who thinks they don't exist or anything).

They become much more aware of their surroundings at that age, and can get pretty overstimulated. It certainly won't hurt to eliminate dairy and see if it makes a difference - the only way to really know *for sure* is to eliminate, see the problems go away, and then add it back in and see if the problems return again.

mama23boys 08-31-2006 12:26 AM

just a thought but 3wks is growth spurt age. they do get more fussy and nurse NON STOP it seems like!!

titania 09-03-2006 08:20 PM

kim, keep in mind that if you want to see if its dairy, you need to watch everything you eat (its in EVERYTHING!!) and give it 2 weeks to get out of your system. i have been no dairy for a few months now. should have figured it out sooner, but what can i do? :banghead:

but--if its just happening a certain time of day, that makes me think it *might* not be the dairy. could just be their fussy time. the fussing supposedly increases up to 6 weeks, when its the worst, and then gets better. this is what "they" say. i hope things improve for you, whatever is causing the trouble! :hugs:

lutgen 09-03-2006 08:36 PM

All mine had dairy issues - with H3 even the Lactaid upset her when I drank it.

Cut out the dairy - if it helps in a few weeks, you will be SOOO thankful. It isn't worth it to have cranky babies who are in pain - just for a glass of milk...
that is what I told myself again and again. But oh was it hard giving up my morning raisin bran :blush:

Timetodance 09-03-2006 08:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by aschrimp
I may be in the minority here...but babies do tend to get fussier around 2-3 weeks old.

:yeahthat:

DD was allergic to dairy, but only when she was directly fed it (insert 3 hours of projectile vomiting here) she was ebf except for those two bottles so it was not a big deal.

Babies are protected from over stimulation the first few days of life. This protection breaks down over the next few weeks, and I strongly believe that overstimulation leads to colic. How to avoid overstimulation is harder, but it starts by not having the TV or radio on all the time and putting the babies (even at two or three weeks) and a darkened room to nap.

Good luck. Twins! You go girl.