Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   EC - Elimination Communication (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=128)
-   -   Share how you got started ECing and EC tips (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=363077)

allielb 03-12-2008 03:43 PM

Share how you got started ECing and EC tips

Lots of new-to-EC mamas post asking how they should get started. I don't have experience ECing a newborn or starting at 13months, but I can share what I did in hopes that it helps someone. :)

We started EC at 5months. About 2 weeks before I got up the nerve to put her on the potty, I read the book Diaper Free: The Gentle Wisdom of Natural Infant Hygiene by Ingrid Bauer. I started watching for signs that she was peeing or pooing and began cueing her when I noticed she was going.

After we got back from vacation, I sat behind her on the potty, cued her, and she peed. Just like that! I then began to change her diaper right before naps, so that if she woke up dry, I would offer the potty... And she would go, it was amazing to me.

After several days of doing that, I bought a BBLP and started offering the potty after nursing. Then I kept a log of when she went, even if it was a miss, to get a sense of her schedule. I only kept track for 5days or something, because I started to get obsessive about it. :) That really helped me see when to offer the potty, because I couldn't see any clear signals when she needed to go.

I look forward to hearing how others started on their EC journey. :)

sloutre 03-12-2008 03:57 PM

Re: Share how you got started ECing

Hi,

We started at 6 weeks, after reading Diaper Free while I was pregnant.
I wanted to start slowly: offer pottytunities whithin 15 min of waking up in the morning and big nap, and everytime I changed her diaper.
The first day, I held her above the sink during a diaper change, cued her and she peed, I was thrilled.
We soon ended up doing more than just offering at wake up and during diaper changes but I keep my expectations low. That way I don't get tense or insistent.
A few weeks later, after reading some other stories on the EC mailing list I decided that it makes sense to start nighttime EC now that she is not moving much. So I layed a folded fleece blanket on our bed. She sleeps in a cloth diaper without a cover. Everytime she nurses or stirrs too much at night I take off her diaper, hold her over a little Ziplock container between my legs and cue her. From night one, she was dry most of the night. If I notice that she peed in her diaper, it;s not a big deal, I take an new dipe in my bedside table, change her in the bed and know she will be more comfortable and sleep better.

SInce I started EC I cannot stand leaving my daughter in a wet diaper, so I did a lot of laundry at the beginning. Now she's 3 months, I know her rhythms better and I use smaller 'diapers' that old only one pee, thus dramatically reducing the volume of laundry.
And I'm in the process of transitioning to training pants

lindsayjean 03-12-2008 04:22 PM

I started a lot later than a lot of you- at 11 months. I wasn't PLANNING on ECing, but we received a potty chair from someone so I started putting her on it when I changed her diaper. And she started USING it. So then, I started putting her on it when I thought she had to go... and from there a friend online who was doing EC told me more about EC and I started cueing her while she was eliminating.

We practice a lot of AP type parenting and I think just through being attached to my daughter and listening to her needs, I was able to realize that she did not want to sit in her waste any more and actually WANTED to use the potty.

People are AMAZED that my daughter eliminates in a toilet and not her diaper... my mom makes sure people know that it was HER who decided to do this- I did not TRAIN her *laugh*

kotzally 03-12-2008 04:50 PM

Mamas ~ by cuing you mean that while they are sitting on the potty you make the sound for peeing or pooing that you have decided to use?

allielb 03-12-2008 07:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kotzally (Post 3023510)
Mamas ~ by cuing you mean that while they are sitting on the potty you make the sound for peeing or pooing that you have decided to use?

Exactly. Or if you notice they are peeing or pooing with a diaper on, you can cue them so they will associate the sound with elimination.

lil'mommakaye 03-12-2008 08:31 PM

We started ECing @ ~9 mos. I never planed on ECing but was extremely intregued by the idea. I started noticing DS's grunts @ dinnertime and would bring him to the potty when he was grunting ect. and lo and behold he would go! i was very excited about this and looked further into the idea. i have read on this board only and have yet to read any litriture on the subject. The cueing is great and i have yet to try that. I know he understands the term poo poo and potty BC when i mention the terms he climbs on me and whines a little, so i bring him to the potty and he gets excited and sits. he immediatly stars pushing and goes w/in seconds of sitting. We have encountered the problem of him ONLY going on our home toilet, he is freaked out about others? i could use advice on that sub, and will probly post a thread on it!:giggle: DS is 10 mos now and rarley bms in his dipe. We are going @ his pace only and on his cues. i would love to read more if anyone has books on the sub. i would be interested in purchasing! i cant wait to read more storys of others journeys into EC!!:lostit:

sunnymw 03-12-2008 09:03 PM

We're on-again-off-again ECers.

I actually found Ingrid Bauer's book at our Books-a-million (WOW, I know!!) and was totally intrigued by it and had to buy it. I read it all in one sitting. I decided to give it a try and failed miserably, got peed on a million times, pooped on a few, but kept going. DS was 4 months or so at the time. We went on like this until 6 months when I bought my first cloth diapers... and ofc I thought those were SO COOL and therefore EC'd less. We picked back up when we moved into a new place at 8 months, and did really well until 10 months when we moved again... well we were staying with GMIL temp until we could get into a new place... once we moved into our own place we picked back up again at 13 months and been doing great ever since. I catch most pees... it's the BM's I tend to miss!! We're teetering on the edge of potty independence since he's starting to go over to the potty himself now, but not regularly or consistently. But it's great that he is so in tune with his own elimination... when he can't see his potty (the downside of the clear potty!!) He will stand and say UH OH, UH OH, UH OH and pee in the carpet. :D

kotzally 03-12-2008 11:02 PM

So what are some cue words you use? Not sure I like the poo word so much!

allielb 03-13-2008 07:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kotzally (Post 3026511)
So what are some cue words you use? Not sure I like the poo word so much!

I usually say "do you need to potty?" Then for peeing I say "pee-pee" and make a "pssst" sound and for poo I say "poo-poo" and grunt. DH really gets into the grunting, it must be a guy thing :) You could say "caca." Here's a recent thread on it:
http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/...d.php?t=334244

youmb00 03-14-2008 02:36 PM

I happen to come across EC on mamaroo's website when DD was about 2 mo. I was so shocked/over whelmed, I couldn't even begin to think about trying. then I rented one of the EC books from our library and it seemed so right for me.

I bought the BBLP just for fun, thinking if I fail, DD can always use it later. Well, it worked! I've been hooked ever since. I have plenty of misses still but we have lots of fun with it.

For cue words, I use "potty potty potty!" or "pssst" or "poopy poopy poopy" and any of the combination. DD usually knows it's time to pee when I sit her on the potty without any cue words. Oh, and I do a little peepee dance also..:blush: