Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   Parenting Talk (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=12)
-   -   Are we hurting her by holding her too much? (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=363325)

monicajoy1979 03-12-2008 06:54 PM

Are we hurting her by holding her too much?

So someone told me the other day that we will delay my DDs development because we hold her too much. She does play on the floor and in her bouncer some, but most of the time we are holding her or she is in my babyhawk. I love holding her and I know she isn't going to be letting me hold her forever. Is there such thing as holding a baby too much??

Happygrl6 03-12-2008 07:58 PM

Re: Are we hurting her by holding her too much?

If she's happy and it works for you, don't worry about it. She'll develop just fine.

nini02 03-12-2008 07:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Happygrl6 (Post 3025285)
If she's happy and it works for you, don't worry about it. She'll develop just fine.

:yeahthat: It won't hurt her mama. :hugs:

Charisma 03-12-2008 08:04 PM

Babies were made to be held!!!!! But there is one thing. My sister in law's brother's baby couldn't hold her head up at 3 months because her parents walked around with her head on a pillow all the time. I would say as long as she can hold her head up and do all the things a baby should do then you're ok.

I hold my ds all the time and he's a strong baby, he can hold his head up and mind you he has been doing it since he was pretty much born, he can lift his head while on his tummy and all the things a 3 month old is supposed to do. And I hold my ds ALL the time or he is in a sling.

I think you are ok. :thumbsup:

momtojande 03-12-2008 08:19 PM

My opinion is no. :goodvibes:

Here's my funny little DH story. He has always complained about me holding the babies too much. Finally, whenever we would see a story on the news about some violent criminal, or someone we knew acted like an idiot or something, I started saying "do you think his mom held him too much or too little?" (Not that it's always the mom's fault, but I personally believe that most violent criminals were probably pretty messed up in their childhood.)

Finally one day he had a really aggravating conversation with his ex-wife, hung up the phone, and said to me "I don't know what her problem is. Maybe her mother didn't hold her enough when she was a baby."

:roflmbo: Guess I'm getting through.

iris0110 03-12-2008 08:25 PM

No it won't. People say all kinds of silly things that don't make sense. They don't want to hold their kids adn don't want to feel guilty about it. Or they feel like you are judging them because you do things differently. Tharen was worn or held almost constantly for the first year of his life. He took his first step at 9 months and was running by 10months. I wish he were less mobile. He is right on target with all of his developmental milestones and a bit advanced in gross motor development. Kids develop as they develop. You are more likely to stunt a child's development by leaving them strapped into one of those baby minding devices all day than by carrying, holding and wearing your baby. Wearing promotes bonding, but it also promotes vocabulary development (baby is up where she/he can hear you talking all of the time and interacting), balance, and overall muscle tone. How many bouncies and swings can boast that? It's not that any of the other devices are bad inherently. you can use a swing or a bouncy or an exersaucer responsibly, but they tend to be over used. It is impossible to hold a baby too much.

dragondance 03-12-2008 08:33 PM

I have read that wearing your baby, like in a Babyhawk, counts as tummy time as they hold themselves up against you. :thumbsup:

wear_your_baby 03-12-2008 08:38 PM

I often think of what a change it must be for babies...to be outside of your tummy all the sudden. If he/she wants to be held, I say hold them. I consider it a want and not a need at this age. (our babies are a couple weeks apart)

mamoo3 03-12-2008 08:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by iris0110 (Post 3025628)
No it won't. People say all kinds of silly things that don't make sense. They don't want to hold their kids adn don't want to feel guilty about it. Or they feel like you are judging them because you do things differently. Tharen was worn or held almost constantly for the first year of his life. He took his first step at 9 months and was running by 10months. I wish he were less mobile. He is right on target with all of his developmental milestones and a bit advanced in gross motor development. Kids develop as they develop. You are more likely to stunt a child's development by leaving them strapped into one of those baby minding devices all day than by carrying, holding and wearing your baby. Wearing promotes bonding, but it also promotes vocabulary development (baby is up where she/he can hear you talking all of the time and interacting), balance, and overall muscle tone. How many bouncies and swings can boast that? It's not that any of the other devices are bad inherently. you can use a swing or a bouncy or an exersaucer responsibly, but they tend to be over used. It is impossible to hold a baby too much.

I couldn't agree more!! My ds has been worn or held most of his life, as well. He started walking at 9 1/2 monthes. He is now 15 monthes and is saying at least 50 words! I credit it to the amount I have held him. He has been held more than his sisters were and is more advanced with his vocabulary and mobility then they were at the same age.

sweetpea 03-12-2008 08:55 PM

i am a big fan of holding babies... i love on eli all the time and although we do play on the floor with toys and he enjoys his jumper that hangs in the doorway.for the most part im holding or wearing him. every kid develops differently and in my opinion the ones that are talked to (which if you are holding/wearing your child you are more likely to talk to them) are the ones that develop at a faster rate. if it means anything children all around the world are worn all the time... and they are doing just fine! mama dont this person get under your skin. im sure you are an incredible mama.