Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   Breastfeeding Support (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=14)
-   -   Urgent Pumping Question! HELP!! (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=36428)

presleycaedmon 08-30-2006 09:56 PM

Urgent Pumping Question! HELP!!

So I would like to, you know, have a minute to myself every once in a while so a month or so ago I decided I would buy a pump so that I could save up some milk on the off chance that DD would actually take a bottle.

Unfortunately DD has never gotten the chance to try a bottle. When I try (and I have tried many times) to pump nothing comes out. Not a drop, not a drip, nothing. I know that DD is getting plenty of milk because she's chunky and she's a super soaker. So I KNOW there's something in there, it just will not come out for the pump.

What do I do?!?!

Sabey-baby 08-30-2006 10:03 PM

Re: Urgent Pumping Question! HELP!!

What kind of a pump are you using? I have a Medela PIS, and its a fairly strong pump. Even then, it takes a good full minute at a MINIMUM for my milk to respond--even a drip. I have never been able to hand express my milk, and I doubt a manual pump would work for me for those reasons.

With my PIS, though it takes a few minutes to get going, it eventually does let down and I get a good amount. Another thing, I have to relax and concentrate on the task at hand. I can't just sit down and pump and think about other things. At least not until its come down. I have to close my eyes, relax my body and picture myself nursing my baby. I pump at work, though, so that might be part of the reason that I have to do all that--I've been distracted by non-kid stuff all day.

Good luck. I consider pumping a necessary evil. lol. Love breastfeeding, HATE pumping. bleck (hmmm, my attitude toward the pump might have something to do with it, too....)

presleycaedmon 08-30-2006 10:10 PM

I've got a...um...well crap I don't know what it is and I'm too tired to go look! LOL I know it's an evenflo and it's dual and it's electric. That's about all I can recall right now. With DS I had an Avent manual pump and it worked just fine so I'm way confused as to why this is totally not working for me! :headscratch:

A'smommy 08-30-2006 10:18 PM

could be not waiting long enough?
or not positioned correctly?
maybe you're not relaxed enough? i've read looking at a picture of the baby or having some of their clothing nearby (for their scent) helps. i used to pump sometimes while dd napped nearby in her swing.
--K

JackieLyn 08-30-2006 10:26 PM

It's not working because evenflo pumps are a piece of crap! gerber and evenflo pumps do NOT work! Medela or avent are your better choice :) also...if you are talented enough you can nurse your DD on one side and pump on the other, i didn't do it very often, but i always produced a lot more that :) the baby sucking makes you letdown! best of luck :hugs:

halyled 08-30-2006 10:26 PM

This may sound weird, but I find that sometimes closing my eyes and kinda focusing on breathing in slowly/deeply helps me relax enough to let down for the pump (and sometimes for baby, too).

presleycaedmon 08-30-2006 10:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JackieLyn
It's not working because evenflo pumps are a piece of crap! gerber and evenflo pumps do NOT work! Medela or avent are your better choice :) also...if you are talented enough you can nurse your DD on one side and pump on the other, i didn't do it very often, but i always produced a lot more that :) the baby sucking makes you letdown! best of luck :hugs:

Well that's just great! :banghead:

So...anyone wanna buy a slightly used crappy pump?! LOL

JackieLyn 08-30-2006 10:30 PM

LoL :) i bought an evenflo with my first baby! i understand, i don't even know how they can sell those things!

Julesmom23girls 08-30-2006 10:33 PM

I have had really good success w/ the Avent manual pump. It is great becuase it is relatively inexpensive and since you don't need to use it multiple times a day it may be a good option. Sorry your pump isn't a good one.

presleycaedmon 08-30-2006 10:35 PM

I'm pretty sure I still have my manual Avant pump laying around somewhere. I just don't have any bottles/storage containers left for it.

Bleh. :fit: