Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   Breastfeeding Support (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=14)
-   -   I'm going bald!! (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=36500)

Tootsiemomma 08-31-2006 08:03 AM

I'm going bald!!

If I keep loosing hair this way anyway. I started loosing hair when Dakotah was about 7 months old, and it hasn't stopped, it just falls out in my hands when I'm washing it or brushing it, I can feel it noticeably thinner and I'm worried that I will go bald. She's almost 1 now, when does it stop??? I plan to keep breastfeeding until she wants to wean or about 2 years whichever comes first. (please don't bash me for that, I've heard enough from my family, who thinks I should have weaned her along time ago) I just need to be reassured that it all won't fall out or that it's normal?:headscratch:

Twnmom1203 08-31-2006 08:12 AM

Re: I'm going bald!!

I started losing my hair at 4 months PP and my derm put me on Propecia and it's helped a lot but I KNOW you can't take it while BFing. :( Hopefully it gets better, I'm now 9 months PP and it's a lot thicker and not falling out anymore but I think that was mostly due to the meds in part with the hormones leveling off. GL!! :hugs:

Tootsiemomma 08-31-2006 08:23 AM

What meds? I was thinking it might have something to do with my thyroid levels, I have hypothyroid disease and take 125mcgs of Synthroid everyday, but I was under the understanding that that would only happen if my TSH levels were really high and I didn't take my meds?

Twnmom1203 08-31-2006 08:28 AM

My thyroid/sugar levels were fine (which are two main culprits) so they put me on the propecia which is a men's hair regrowth tablet. In your case, it may just as well be thyroiod. Get that checked first.

Termie 08-31-2006 08:50 AM

It's normal for your hair to fall out around 4m post partum and then stop/slow/reverse around 6-8m pp. Could you be going through it late? Has it slowed down at all from when it started?

I'm going through the same thing. When my hair was LONG (similar to your avvy) it scared the SNOT out of me!!! But I got it cut to just at my shoulders and it seems a lot less scary b/c even with the same amt of loss it's still 1/2 the hair... kwim?

I'd put in a call to your dr. just to see if it's anything you ought to worry about.

Mine is just starting to slow down about 4m after it started falling out. Hopefully yours does the same soon! Some sources say it can go up until 12m pp.

Tootsiemomma 08-31-2006 09:27 AM

I don't have a doctor, I have no insurance and the doc that took care of my pregnancy and delivery is under investigation by the Texas Medical Board due to negligence of my care. Anyway, I didn't lose any until I chopped 14" off my hair (in that pic it was at my rear) It's still fairly long about halfway down my back (I have a long torso) but that's when I started losing it, I run my fingers through my hair and I have a handful of it that falls out, My trashcan in the bathroom is full of hair that falls out when I wash it and from my brush that I have to clean out after every brushing

betty_joanne 08-31-2006 10:28 AM

Where did you get your hair cut? Find out what products they used one you. I doubt it is that but if that is when you started loosing it then i would double check.
I lost a lot of hair after dd was born. I kept shedding until dd was around 6 months. Her first trip to the er was my hairs fault:banghead: (got wrapped around her index finger). It has to do with hair going from the growth stage(during pregnancy) back to the resting stage(after birth).
To be sure you will probably need a thyroid check to see if maybe the medication you are on is too much, too little, not working, etc.
http://parents.berkeley.edu/advice/p.../hairloss.html

Tootsiemomma 08-31-2006 10:37 AM

I think dd was about 7 months when I cut my hair, all they did was wash it, cut it and blow dry.

A'smommy 08-31-2006 10:40 AM

Maybe you could find a referral to a nutritionist through WIC or something? Maybe you're deficient in some nutrient or vitamin? Are you still taking multivitamins? My OTC multis turned out to be better than the prenatals I had an Rx for (doh!) I lost a lot of hair after DD was born...I don't remember exactly when it started or stopped though. Did they cut your hair with thinning shears, by chance? If they did you will probably shed for a while. The thyroid angle sounds kinda like it might be the cause too. If it doesn't stop in about 3 months you definitely need to investigate further; hair growth cycles usually go in about 3 month intervals and pregnancy causes a lot of them to go "in-sync" (high fever can do that too).
HTH!
--K

luvkadcl 08-31-2006 10:44 AM

Hi,

I have had 5 children and you will not go bald!! It all comes back and then you have another baby and you loose it again. LOL! Really it is alittle scarey. Are you still taking your prenatals? Rainbow Light is the best. You still need them as long as you are nursing. My fourth stopped nursing(on his own, as all my did) when he was 5. Ignore family, you are doing the very best nursing as long as he/she wants. They get so much protection and nurishment from your milk. As well as love and comfort. Nothing beats a good nursey (as mine all called it) when you fall and bump your head, or are tired, cranky etc....

Peace,
Cindy