Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   Parenting Talk (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=12)
-   -   When is the spitting up considered reflux?? (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=365400)

cm.thomas 03-14-2008 11:52 PM

When is the spitting up considered reflux??

DS is 4 wks old and spits up like I've never seen. It just flows out after feedings and at all times in between. On top of that, he's super fussy right before he spits up and it's becoming increasingly worse especially at night. He's been really agitated and uncomfortable and can't relax. All he wants to do is nurse (my guess is because it feels better to be eating).

So I know my son is not comfortable, I've already taken dairy out of my diet and what I'm hearing from our midwife (ds is under her care until 6 wks old ) is he's taking in too much air, he's probably eating too much at a feeding, try keeping him upright after feeding etc. I KNOW these things! DS #1 spit up like crazy too, the only difference is DS #1 wasn't in pain because of it. He was a happy spitter. :giggle:

Sooo...does this sound like reflux?? do I take ds to the pedi and get a second opinion? I just don't want to hear the same things again... I want my baby to feel better...yesterday!! :cry:

tea4two321 03-15-2008 01:52 AM

Re: When is the spitting up considered reflux??

I would take my LO in to see the doctor. From what you are describing, your LO sounds like he is in pain, in my mind that is plenty enough reason to head to the doctor. What your midwife is telling you is valid and will apply to a reflux situation as well (keep him more upright after feedings, offer smaller amounts more often, etc.), BUT he MAY need the help of some medication as well to get him through until his body is more mature and can keep the stomach contents where they belong! Good luck!

starryeyedgyal 03-15-2008 02:09 AM

:hugs: mama! dd#2 is four weeks old and she is a huge spitter too! (She burps like a full grown man too!) In fact she just had her one month checkup today and her pediatrician wasn't too fazed by it since she's gained close to 2 lbs in a 2 weeks.

But I was told that if it seems like she's in pain or has projectile vomiting it might be reflux. Is he arching his back in pain after feedings? I've also read that babies who suffer from reflux tend to overeat b/c breast milk is a natural antacid. Since those two seem to be the case, it wouldn't hurt to get him checked out!

alexysmommy 03-15-2008 04:53 AM

It is considered a problem when baby is uncomfortable, or starts to lose weight. Both of my kiddos had very severe reflux, and my dd ended up on a feeding tube at one point. I WISH i had a seen a dr earlier. She is now 3, on meds , and doing GREAT! MOST kids outgrow reflux by age 1 and most are easily treated w/ meds. Reflux is becoming more and more recongnized, there are many meds that can be taken to make him feel better, and there are a lot of things you can do at home to help w/ the spitting up. (like keeping him elevated, small frequent feeds, etc)

3migirls 03-15-2008 08:13 AM

We had the same problem and our pedi said she had reflux. We ended up on 3 different medicines before it was under control and she was comfortable. We had tried EVERY other thing we knew before this option. She grew out of it when could start staying more upright on her own though. At a little over 1year, she just takes a little medicine at night before bed when reflux is at its worse. I would recommend talking to your doctor about it ASAP so she can be happy again.

mama2logan&evan 03-15-2008 09:09 AM

Sounds like it could be reflux. My youngest had the same issues and was put on Zantac and a different formula than what we had been using and he did great. He outgrew it rather quickly and was only on the meds for about 4 months.

kmjmom 03-15-2008 09:55 AM

both my boys were pretty bad refluxers. we became good friends with mylanta, zantac, prevacid etc... With the first the best for him was spot treating...giving him the mylanta when he was acting like he was in a particular amount of pain. with the next nothing helped, he couldn't keep anything down long enough to grow so ended up with a fundo (surgery on stomach to stop the ability to throw up) and a feeding tube.
The GI once told us that a pretty good indicator if the crying is because of reflux associated pain then giving Mylanta (same dose as infants tylenol) should stop the crying. with ds #1 it was instant. #2 would even respond to that better than the preventative meds. but it wasn't quite the 'cure' that is was for #1

::er!ca:: 03-15-2008 11:25 AM

If you are concerned, I'd definitely contact your child's doctor.

My nephew was diagnosed with Pyloric Stenosis when he was about 5 1/2 weeks old and had surgery to correct the problem at 6 weeks old. He was projectile vomiting, not sleeping, not gaining weight, etc. He is a very healthy 4 year old (today is his birthday!!) but still has reflux problems and takes Reglan 3x per day.

cm.thomas 03-15-2008 03:49 PM

Thanks for the info ladies! DS seems to be gaining weight like he should, but I hate seeing him in pain. I'll call the dr. on Monday to get him in. :thumbsup:

Mommy2JJ 03-15-2008 06:53 PM

You might try cutting dairy and possibly soy out of your diet if you are breastfeeding. Those seem to be the top two offenders and can cause reflux in babies. My first would puke like a fountain and once I cut out dairy and soy he was a different baby.