Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   Pregnancy (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=13)
-   -   Question about D&C (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=36660)

CMamma 08-31-2006 02:50 PM

Question about D&C

I had one on Tues & I'm curious to hear from others how long you bled after, how you felt, etc. Mine was due to unexplained PP bleeding (DS is almost 8 mos & I was still bleeding). Well, I had the procedure on Tues at 10 am. When I left, I was bleeding very lightly & same thing on Wed. I barely needed a panty liner. In the middle of the night I got up to feed DS & woosh I started bleeding heavier & today I'm bleeding like a period. I just thought it was weird to go from light to heavier... but I don't know anything about this procedure & I was still druggy feeling in recovery when they gave me my "going home instructions." I just have a piece of paper that basically says nothing in the vagina for 2 days & return if soaking more than a pad an hour & follow up w/doc in 2 weeks.

So I guess I could have left all that out huh? LOL So what was your recovery like?

dirtdartwife 08-31-2006 03:00 PM

Re: Question about D&C

I had to have a D&C due to a miscarriage at 14 weeks and my body wasn't aborting.

I recall having that bleeding for about two to three days. It was similar to PP bleeding but I needed to remember to not lift or do any heavy activity for awhile. We had a sudden death in the unit that weekend (I had my D&C on a Thursday) so I went from my own "issue" to trying to support families in the unit (my DH was the commander) so I don't really recall too much more of my own recovery.

Keep an eye on it (how can you not, eh?) and if this is what made you get the D&C in the first place, I'd go back in to ask questions as to why it's still so heavy. In the mean time, grab yourself a drink (it's too early in the day, so I'm thinking tea or water or something), the remote or a good book and lay your tush on the couch with your feet up slightly above hip level. :mrgreen: (I know, kinda hard with little ones around... but it needs to be done)

I hope you feel better soon and it stops! :hugs:

jrk 08-31-2006 03:05 PM

I had to have 2 d&c's when my ds was 1 week old. After the first I wouldn't stop bleeding still, so they did another, and thought I may have to have a hysterectomy(sp?). I nearly bled to death:cry: I don't know for sure, but I think they told me I'd go back to bleeding that's 'normal' after giving birth. I'd call your ob's office. It never hurts to ask!:hugs:

CMamma 08-31-2006 03:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jrk
I had to have 2 d&c's when my ds was 1 week old. After the first I wouldn't stop bleeding still, so they did another, and thought I may have to have a hysterectomy(sp?). I nearly bled to death:cry: I don't know for sure, but I think they told me I'd go back to bleeding that's 'normal' after giving birth. I'd call your ob's office. It never hurts to ask!:hugs:

Wow... poor you.

I half wish they'd just take it all out so I didn't have to deal with it. I've had numrerous surgeries for female issues.

I called my OB office. It's just MA I think that answer the phone & they know my voice b/c I called sooooooooo much about my PP bleeding. Anyway, they're just like "take Motrin & some people bleed longer than others" so :headscratch: I don't tend to take over the phone advice for crap anymore since I had to lie about why I needed an appt (told them for BC) since my PP bleeding issue was apparently no biggy. Then when I got in w/the doc she's like "HOLY!"

rowynne 08-31-2006 03:15 PM

I've had 2 d&cs also for miscarriages (11 & 10wks). With the first one, I had light to regular af like bleeding for about 5 days, on the last day I had horrible cramping & passed a huge clot. Then the bleeding tapered down & went away over the weekend. With the 2nd d&c I had light bleeding, only needed pads for the first day or 2, then pantyliners for some spotting but it was gone within a few days.

Blackbirdlane 08-31-2006 03:25 PM

I had two D&C's and from what I remember the bleeding lasted for between 1-2 weeks. I do remember it being heavy/light/weird. I would say if you start bleeding really heavy ( I mean really heavy) or it lasts longer than a few weeks to call your doctor.

do they have you going in for a checkup after the procedure?

CMamma 08-31-2006 03:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Blackbirdlane

do they have you going in for a checkup after the procedure?

I go in 2 weeks.

Mom2Taylor 08-31-2006 03:47 PM

I had a D&C when dd#2 was 11 days old (now 9 wks old). I thought the one good thing that would come from this was that I probably wouldn't have to go through the whole 6 wk post partum bleeding thing. WRONG. I bled (very lightly) for 5-6 wks after the D&C. Very annoying!

So, I know I can't complain because I definitely didn't bleed for 8 months...but I got to have the scary experience of having a sudden and uncontrollable gush of bleeding that didnt' stop until I had the D&C the following day and then I got to bleed for an additional 5-6 wks. Fun stuff! :)

Kylie&Logan'sMommy 08-31-2006 03:56 PM

I had one after a miscarriage at 12 weeks and I had a similar experience. No bleeding at all then a huge gush and tons of bleeding starting about 2 days after. Had something similar to a heavy period for a few days and that was it. Motrin did help the bad cramping I had.

CMamma 09-01-2006 10:28 AM

Anyone else have FB for me?

TIA.