Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   Parenting Talk (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=12)
-   -   I am officially the worst tooth fairy ever! (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=368065)

CJKJ 03-18-2008 08:09 AM

I am officially the worst tooth fairy ever!

This is the 5th (yes, 5th) tooth that my daughter has lost and with each one, I forget to give her the money. :banghead:

She doesn't fall asleep right away so by the time I go to bed, I forget about it.

Last night, I took the money with me and slid it into her bed before she got in, but she saw it and said it didn't count because I didn't take the tooth.

She told me this morning that I took all the fun out of it - and I know she's right. I know she just wants that little bit of magic, and I feel terrible for destroying that.

I've got 3 more kids that I've got to go through this with. HELP!

Do you guys know of any other tradition or special thing I could do with her/them during the day so they can have something "special" for losing teeth?

Manna00 03-18-2008 08:11 AM

Re: I am officially the worst tooth fairy ever!

:popcorn: As a triplet with parents who had NO extra money.. we never did the tooth fairy thing (seeing as how we all lost our teeth practically on the same day)... I'd be interested to know ideas too.

p1p3r 03-18-2008 08:11 AM

Don't know what to recommend - I just have to say that I suck at being the Tooth fairy too. You're not alone!

saongiri 03-18-2008 08:12 AM

Haha--we just went through this but ds is 11 so I think he knows -anyhow our tooth fairy takes days off sometimes especially if the weather is bad or its the weekend or the baby's been crying all night--
so I'm lame but we try

ScorpioGrrl75 03-18-2008 08:13 AM

Could you have her leave the tooth somewhere obvious (instead of under her pillow)? Or bake tooth fairy treats - brownies or cookies for the tooth fairy - and leave the tooth next to those?

:hugs:

Indianamom*2 03-18-2008 08:16 AM

What if you had them put the tooth in a special tooth box out on the living room table or in a special pillow and hang it on the door and then that way you can slip the tooth out and the money in and they never see you ??

When we lost a tooth we always had to go to bed early that night or else the "Tooth Fairy" wouldnt come because we werent in bed when she "flew by".
So it was easy for my parents to make the switch.

bfoster2000 03-18-2008 08:27 AM

I agree...you can find little pillows or bears embroidered with "tooth fairy pillow" or something like that. Or make it a craft project that you can do together. Create a little pillow or pouch to put the tooth in and leave it by their toothbrush.

Not to hijack but I have to share my tooth fairy story from my childhood. At our house, the tooth fairy always paid a dollar. When I pulled one tooth, I don't remember how it happened but the tooth went flying across the room and I couldn't find it. I was devastated because I was afraid the tooth fairy wouldn't come. My mom helped me write her a note to put under my pillow explaining that it was an accident and I was so sorry I didn't have the tooth to leave for her. Well, the next morning, there was a note from the tooth fairy saying it was ok but to always make sure to wait till the tooth was ready to come out instead of forcing it or something like and taped to the note were four quarters. For the longest time I was sure the tooth fairy had shorted me because I she didn't get that tooth. I'm 31 years old and still remember that's the only time the tooth fairy ever left me change instead of a crisp new dollar. :rofl:

isabelsmom 03-18-2008 08:32 AM

I agree with the tooth fairy pillow/box idea. My kids are getting older (10,12) and still believe in the tooth fairy. There have been days though that I've forgotten & fell asleep but I've suggested to my kids that maybe the tooth fairy couldn't get through because their rooms are too messy? (great way to get them to clean up) and then the tooth fairy leaves a note the next night (if it's clean) thanking them for cleaning so she could get through. :)

Also, if you can't get to the tooth, because it will wake up dc, sometimes I have left a note saying that this was a very SPECIAL tooth so they get to keep it AND the money. :)

Boheme 03-18-2008 09:45 AM

Playing tooth fairy is something I love! I write a poem/letter from the tooth fairy, personalized to current stuff going on with DS, praising him for being such a good boy that even the fairies and gnomes from far away have heard about it, reminding him to be a good big brother, etc... I'm not a poet, but they're cheesy and cute, just right for a kid! :mrgreen: Then I find a jewel/stone/coin that the fairy can leave (reminding him somewhere in the poem that she took his tooth to gifted gnomes who turn teeth into treasure with their special hammers and what-not), wrap it all up in some silk or wool, and stick it (with the rolled up letter) in the cumin jar he leaves his tooth in. I also sprinkle it with fairy dust (glitter) and leave a trail of glitter from his bed to the windowsill.

It's so exciting with he comes bouncing into my bed in the morning with glitter in his hair, reading me his letter, telling me all about his magical stone (I usually mention the "magic" properties of whatever stone it is in the letter I leave). He keeps all of his gifts in a silky bag hanging on his bedroom wall. My 4yo can't wait to start losing teeth. :giggle2:

S Starr 03-18-2008 12:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CJKJ (Post 3069776)
Last night, I took the money with me and slid it into her bed before she got in, but she saw it and said it didn't count because I didn't take the tooth.

She told me this morning that I took all the fun out of it - and I know she's right. I know she just wants that little bit of magic, and I feel terrible for destroying that.

I've got 3 more kids that I've got to go through this with. HELP!

Do you guys know of any other tradition or special thing I could do with her/them during the day so they can have something "special" for losing teeth?

One thing you might consider is telling your oldest daughter that you have a really hard time remembering, and asking her if she'd like to help you with the younger ones. That might be every bit as much fun for her! (and maybe the tooth fairy assistant would earn a special treat or sticker too?)