Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   Parenting Talk (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=12)
-   -   Did I overreact? (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=368078)

Momoftwo 03-18-2008 08:27 AM

Did I overreact?

My 2 1/2 year old daughter go to story time at the library every Tuesday. Before we go to the library we go to the thrift store and search for treasures. We always talk about how to behave in the store before we go in. Our conversations go something like:

dd: "Mommy can I walk in the store?"
me: "As long as you listen and don't run away you can walk. If you don't listen, I have to carry you."
dd: "Okay Mommy, I will listen."

That is usually enough a discussion. We do this every week and it is always the same. Lately on Tuesday mornings her bf has been in the store. My dd's bf is a year older and VERY well behaved. Dd's bf was in the store this morning and dd was very rude to her (she didn't want to let her look at toys and was screaming NO at her.) I tried to talk to my dd about it and she ran away from me. She was running circles through the store and hiding. I had to chase her down and catch her. When I caught her I told her she had to hold my hand and she refused. So, I picked her up to carry her. She totally freaked out and started kicking, hitting, and screaming. I told her if she couldn't behave she was not going to story time, we were going home. Needless to say, she did not behave and I took her home.

She cried the whole way home, screaming until she almost puked! I made me cry to hear her being so upset. It all happened so quickly. We were both kind of shocked. She is only 2, so Did I overreact?

TLDmom 03-18-2008 08:30 AM

Re: Did I overreact?

Not at all... This is the age that manipulation comes into play so you did exactly what you should do... never reward bad behavior

Heather8183 03-18-2008 08:31 AM

IMO no...if she usually knows how to act and you think she understands when you have your talk about how to behave. If you had let her get away with it that one time, she'd do it everytime. In fact, if it was my child, next time we went to the store or story time, I would remind her that we didn't get to come last time because of her poor behaviour. :2cents:

Sweetpotatoesmom 03-18-2008 08:33 AM

I don't think you overreacted....but I wonder why she was so out of character...is she feeling okay?

Momoftwo 03-18-2008 08:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sweetpotatoesmom (Post 3069996)
I don't think you overreacted....but I wonder why she was so out of character...is she feeling okay?

I really think, she was trying to impress her friend. She was having fun so she thought it would be fun for everyone.
I wish I never would have told her that we wouldn't go to story time, but I felt like I had to follow through because I said it.

uk2usa 03-18-2008 08:47 AM

Not at all...
More of us parents need to follow through like you did :thumbsup:

You warned her of the consequences, she didn't listen, and you followed through.

:blush: We are guilty of not following thru sometimes. But we do try most of the time.

MandyLee 03-18-2008 08:54 AM

Sounds like what you did was perfect

Javamama 03-18-2008 09:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Momoftwo (Post 3069941)
My 2 1/2 year old daughter go to story time at the library every Tuesday. Before we go to the library we go to the thrift store and search for treasures. We always talk about how to behave in the store before we go in. Our conversations go something like:

dd: "Mommy can I walk in the store?"
me: "As long as you listen and don't run away you can walk. If you don't listen, I have to carry you."
dd: "Okay Mommy, I will listen."

That is usually enough a discussion. We do this every week and it is always the same. Lately on Tuesday mornings her bf has been in the store. My dd's bf is a year older and VERY well behaved. Dd's bf was in the store this morning and dd was very rude to her (she didn't want to let her look at toys and was screaming NO at her.) I tried to talk to my dd about it and she ran away from me. She was running circles through the store and hiding. I had to chase her down and catch her. When I caught her I told her she had to hold my hand and she refused. So, I picked her up to carry her. She totally freaked out and started kicking, hitting, and screaming. I told her if she couldn't behave she was not going to story time, we were going home. Needless to say, she did not behave and I took her home.

She cried the whole way home, screaming until she almost puked! I made me cry to hear her being so upset. It all happened so quickly. We were both kind of shocked. She is only 2, so Did I overreact?

I think you did the right thing! It is so hard!!! Big hugs!

kezoo 03-18-2008 09:54 AM

I agree it is hard sometimes to follow through on the consequences, because you want your children to be happy (and go to story time), but once you have made the consequences clear, you HAVE to follow through or else your kids know they might be able to get away w/ stuff. Did you talk to her when she was calm to find out why she was behaving so differently? And try to get her to understand that you didn't want to punish her, but she did not behave appropriately, so that was why you missed Story Time? 2 y.o.'s are hard sometimes!!! :hugs:

Sweet_Fantasy_Fox 03-18-2008 09:57 AM

I agree with everyone else, you did the right thing mama:hugs: