Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   Parenting Talk (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=12)
-   -   Ear ache (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=368348)

upstategirl 03-18-2008 01:33 PM

Ear ache

My son has a ear ache and I was wondering what is a natural way I can make it feel better besides a warm compress? I think I will call the doctor and make an apt but, I wanted to see if there was any natural way to at least make it feel better.

jennyb 03-18-2008 01:38 PM

Re: Ear ache

i'm curious about this also. for myself, i do ear candles, but i'm hesitant to use them with my son b/c he won't stay still long enough.

my neighbor recommended the following, but i haven't tried it yet because i'm not sure how safe it is - maybe another mama has better knowledge...

my neighbor's solution for earaches:
using a "dropper top" medicine syringe, she drop a little peroxide into her childn's earn, let's it bubble for a few minutes and then has him lie down with that ear on a towel to let anything drain out

like i said, i haven't tried it because i'm hesitant to put a liquid into the ear canal (makes me think of swimmer's ear?), but she swear by it, said that's what her mother always did ...

MamaEli 03-18-2008 01:52 PM

Take a clove of garlic and mash it up. Then slowly heat on Low some Olive Oil with the garlic in it. Just enough to let it flavor up. Let is cool to body temp or thereabout, and put some drops in your LO ear.

I tried this last week and it really did help.

Also, I've heard you can take half an onion and roast it (tin foil in the oven.) When cool enought to handle, hold that half on the ear. I haven't tried this one--the garlic was faster and I'm all about immediate gratification.
Hope your LO feels better!

momo5 03-18-2008 01:55 PM

Just room temp olive works too. the garlic and olive oil is great because garlic is and immune booster. but olive oil has anti-microbials that are great, and the oil is soothing. can use while making the other.

Make sure to use room temp oil, don't want to burn the ear drum.

Weezy6703 03-18-2008 02:44 PM

no suggestions, but keep an eye on it.

kezoo 03-18-2008 03:15 PM

Breastmilk! That has worked wonderfully at our house (I even tried it on myself when I had an ear ache in the middle of the night - by morning I was fine!). Also, make sure to keep the ear covered if your LO goes outside (cold air blowing in the ear will make it feel worse).

courtney_adkins05 03-18-2008 03:22 PM

i 2nd the breastmilk!!! works for pink eye too...also hylands makes some great homeopathic ear ache ...tabs or drops...not sure havent used them yet...but have the hylands flu as well as the vitamin c / cold tabs and they kick booty!

ambersrose 03-18-2008 04:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MamaEli (Post 3072588)
Take a clove of garlic and mash it up. Then slowly heat on Low some Olive Oil with the garlic in it. Just enough to let it flavor up. Let is cool to body temp or thereabout, and put some drops in your LO ear.

I tried this last week and it really did help.

Also, I've heard you can take half an onion and roast it (tin foil in the oven.) When cool enought to handle, hold that half on the ear. I haven't tried this one--the garlic was faster and I'm all about immediate gratification.
Hope your LO feels better!

These are both highly effective natural home remedies and I second them! :thumbsup: