Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   Breastfeeding Support (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=14)
-   -   NYTimes article on breastfeeding READ IT and comment! (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=36964)

bundeleh 09-01-2006 10:48 AM

NYTimes article on breastfeeding READ IT and comment!

Today's New York Times has a major story about breastfeeding, followed by a place to leave comments. Please read the story, which is very interesting, and then leave your comments.

http://www.nytimes.com/2006/09/01/he...rtner=homepage

On the Job, Nursing Mothers Are Finding a 2-Class System
Pumping breast milk at work is close to impossible for many lower-income working mothers, causing many women to decline to breastfeed at all and others to quit early despite pressure to breastfeed from doctors. Public health authorities, alarmed at the gap between the breastfeeding haves and have-nots, are now trying to convince businesses that supporting the practice is a sound investment.

Share your thoughts: What are the best and worst stories you’ve heard about breast-feeding at work?

MommyMommyMommy 09-01-2006 04:07 PM

Re: NYTimes article on breastfeeding READ IT and comment!

Interesting article. Sad that it seems to work that way. My first two kids would never latch on so I pumped exclusively and they took breast milk from a bottle. With my second child, I went back to teaching as a substitute when she was about 4 months. I only worked one day a week and only pumped one time (when the students were at lunch). The classrooms had one door that didn't lock (they were in circular buildings and the middle of the building was a teacher workroom and the doors into that room didn't lock) so I ended up pumping in the bathroom of the computer lab standing up 'cause the outlet was too far away from the toilet for me to sit down.

I've been lucky enough to stay at home with my youngest and the only time I've ever pumped with him is when he was just a few days old and had jaundice so bad that he wouldn't wake up to nurse, so I pumped and we just stuck a bottle in his mouth. Only that one time and I bawled the whole way through! I can't bring myself to pump since this baby finally actually breastfed! Much to hubby's dismay, me and my man Cal are never apart for very long :giggle:

tillers72 09-02-2006 07:50 AM

I know how discouraging it was when I had to work after ds1 was born. It would be nice to see a change for the better in this area.

automatik2 09-02-2006 05:04 PM

That is so sad. The United States is seriously lacking in this area.

I can not believe a woman's boss dressed up as a breast pump for halloween to mock her, and there was nothing she could do about it b/c he wasn't in the wrong. Insane!

togg_mama 09-02-2006 05:35 PM

as my DH says "all it takes is money and power."

I'm glad I can be a SAHM! I EP'd for our late-dd due to medical problems. It was hard enough to pump at her hospital bedside. I can't imagine having to do it at work!

More power to you Working Mamas!:thumbsup:

Irishmommy 09-02-2006 07:12 PM

I think that breastfeeding your baby should be the most important priority. I think that some of the women mentioned in the article could have really gone to the higher ups in the company, or to the media about how they were being treated and really gotten some results. How many mothers do you think would want to take their children, much less go themselves, to a dentist who behaved in such a manor? I think I would have gone to the media immediately over that one. Also, I think that what this article touches on has just become a way of life in our country, speaking of the haves/have nots. We do need legislation that protects our rights as women and mothers. Look at maternity leave in other countries as opposed to ours. My sil in Japan has THREE YEARS maternity leave, and still gets some of her pay and some of her benefits. Can you imagine????

It seems we are too busy fighting wars and giving the big businesses breaks these days to worry about feeding babies and other such nonsense (note the sarcasm).

Irishmommy 09-02-2006 07:18 PM

Oh, and some of it just has to be a determined effort on the part of the mamma.
I went back to work when my ds was 4 months old and pumped in a bathroom, while sitting on the floor. Granted it was a private, faculty bathroom, but not the ideal experience. I even bought my own refrigerator to keep the milk in, but a cooler would have worked fine too. I pumped the whole school year that way.

Sometimes I feel that going back to work becomes an excuse for some moms that wanted to quit anyway.

Also, my ds' pedi kept telling me to suppliment with formula, imo simply because I was going back to work. I didn't do it, but that was just another way to sabotage the nursing relationship. So, I think that all of these issues are just a reflection of the whole philosophy that our society has about breastfeeding.

Irishmommy 09-02-2006 07:20 PM

Oh, and wouldn't wearing a sign that said "insert breast here" be considered sexual harrassment?

bundeleh 09-02-2006 08:53 PM

Did anyone read any of the comments from the article (people who left their comments there on the New York Times page). OMG ... some of those comments made me want to cry.

calapitters 09-02-2006 09:49 PM

If there's a will, there's a way. I went back to work when ds was 2 months old and he has not had a sip of formula. I'm one of those low income mothers and knew iIwould need to go back to work asap, but I didn't want to do the formula thing. I clean houses, so a pumping room isn't an option, so I pump in my car. I pumped in my car in the 15 degree weather of February, and I've pumped in the 90+ degree weather of August (that did a job on my let down). I hate, hate, hate that pump, but I will use it as long as ds is getting most of his nutrition from breastmilk.

We should all move to Japan! lol