Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   Parenting Talk (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=12)
-   -   parents of kids with AR...question about moving from formula to milk (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=369841)

ashleykaymay 03-19-2008 09:47 PM

parents of kids with AR...question about moving from formula to milk

ok so evan will be a year this weekend. he has been on enfamil AR since 6 weeks to about 5 months and then for the past like 6 months similiac sensitive AR. they are both the kinds that get thick when they hit the tummy. we tried one bottle of regular formula (good start) at 2 months and he puked so bad that i haven't tried it since. he holds down all sorts of solids great as well.

they say its supposed to get better when they start sitting up but he has been sitting since 4 months and is now running around, practically done with crawling. he had soy milk for the second time today and he threw up a lot of it. so its not a milk allergy. he loves it, so i don't think it hurts his tummy and that is why he threw up. it smelled and looked like when i noticed he had AR. they told us to try soy milk because babies handle it a lot better.

so what do we do if he isn't healed up yet? does he stay on the formula? i mean, i would rather have him on formula for longer then go to milk and meds if he is going to need meds. we are going to keep trying it but if it doesn't work, what do we do?

ETA: i have heard goat's milk and rice milk might work...is that true? it seems like he needs the thickness of the formula more then anything

ashleykaymay 03-19-2008 10:31 PM

Re: parents of kids with AR...question about moving from formula to milk

:anyone:

dragondance 03-20-2008 12:38 AM

Not sure about what to do there since my dd does have milk issues on top of everything, but I know rice milk is super-thin, so if he still needs it thickened I don't think rice milk would help.

LunaBirch 03-20-2008 09:56 AM

You can thicken his milk with rice cereal.. I use about 2 Tbs to 8 oz. My son has oral motor issues (as well as reflux) and has had pneumonia from aspiration several times, so we're supposed to thicken his liquids. However, keeping him on formula may not be a bad idea either.. I kept DS on it till he was 2, and now switched him to Nestle nido which is fortified milk (very similar to next step formula, but WAYYYY cheaper).

benjaminsmom 03-20-2008 10:02 AM

I would try thickening with plain rice cereal like was suggested earlier. If it doesn't work you can always go back to formula!