Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   Breastfeeding Support (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=14)
-   -   I need help helping someone UPDATE (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=370072)

nothingtosee 03-20-2008 10:12 AM

I need help helping someone UPDATE

My bro goes to school w/ a 16 yo girl who just brought her baby home last week, and he gave her my # in case she needed help w/anything. Well, last week I got a call at 3am from this girl, crying her eyes out. Her baby was in the NICU and was unable to latch on, still has breathing problems so he has trouble, but he is home now. So she's been pumping milk and bottle feeding him, but she's starting to have issues w/ her supply, and she's getting upset which we all know makes things worse. She doesn't have any way of getting to a place that can help her (wic or the hospital) and she can only leave at night anyway due to school(and work, she goes back next week to being a cna). What the heck can I do to help her? So far I've just been helping her with milk color, how many calories to eat, what not to eat, how to store it, etc. She lives on her own, so it's not like she has anyone to ask, and in fact, I'm the only bfing person she knows.
* It might be helpful to add that she doesn't want to teach him to latch on due to his breathing problems, she's afraid he'll quit breathing, and in fact was told by the nurses to keep him on a bottle.

********UPDATE
Last night she asked me to come over and help latch him on! YAY! I gave her my nursing pillow and some nursing pads. He is a great little nurser! He got frustrated a lot, but he actually took the breast after 3 weeks of bottles! I'm so excited I could cry. :yay: She is still feeding him expressed milk until he gets comfortable with the breast, since he'll nurse for about 4 minutes then decide he doesn't want to work for it anymore. She is trying though!

KJ,AJ,&RJ'smommy 03-20-2008 11:30 AM

Re: I need help helping someone

I was a young mom, too and it was hard. The best thing for you to do is just be there if she needs you. Oh yeah... I know that there are suppose to be herbs out there that increase supply. I don't know what they are though so maybe someone else can help with that part. I did want to offer some :hugs: though to both of you! :goodvibes:

moobiegirl 03-20-2008 11:33 AM

She can take Fenugreek (very easy to get at any vitamin store or even walmart) Also oatmeal will help with supply. You are doing a great service to this young mom. Keep it up!

schmerna 03-20-2008 11:43 AM

Wow, you are being a great friend and breastfeeding mentor. I don't know anything about the breathing problems. For her supply problem, drinnking lots of water and eating 2-3 servings of oatmeal per day really helped me work through supply problems.

empress_embellishments 03-20-2008 12:22 PM

Eating oatmeal, definitely helps.....I ate granola, granola bars and oat cereals for breakfast and snacks.

Have you contacted a local La Leche League leader? Maybe getting her in touch with a LLL could help. Or you talking to a LLL leader or lactation consultant and then sharing information with her. Our local hospital has a lactation consultant hotline, available by phone, that helped me tremendously. Maybe that could be another resource for you. We also have LLL meetings here that are held at night, if she could attend a LLL meeting and be around other nursing moms, maybe you could go to a meeting with her.

You are doing a wonderful thing just be being there for her and giving her the comfort of knowing that she has someone she can call who will listen to her, even if it is at 3 in the morning. Keep up the good work!

Sammy'smom 03-20-2008 01:29 PM

This may seem funny, but if she drinks one beer a week she'll get a nice supply of milk, it can be alchool free, the hops in it is great for milk and makes it a super strong milk.
Also like other posters said already oatmeal, but I can't stand it so I go with the beer.
Hope this helps.

Dire Wolf 03-20-2008 01:56 PM

she's really young so her hormones are probably wreaking havoc on her right now. if she has an icu baby she should see about trying to get a few more weeks off. i know it sn't always possible but would be optimal. the type of pump she is using could be an issue as well. if she's concerned about a supply drop can somone else give her some extra while she gets her supply re-establlished?
nak

icanonlyimagine 03-20-2008 02:31 PM

my best advice is the fenugreek. however to me it is very important to get organic. sure the un organic stuff works but the organic is 100% better and works soooooo much more. I think what you are doing is great

moonphishers 03-21-2008 01:37 AM

I second the suggestiong of contacting a LLL leader ... SOMETIMES they'll go to a moms house.

SubliminalDarkness 03-21-2008 08:39 AM

Yes, call LLL. Given the mom's special circumstances, hopefully someone would go out of their way to help her.
Have you gone to visit her? Maybe a visit would help. Bring her some oatmeal and some fenugreek if you can. Does she have internet access? She could look at www.kellymom.com and LLL also has a forum with leaders on it. LLL also has a 1-800 help line.