Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   Parenting Talk (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=12)
-   -   Measles/Emergency Info needed!! *UPDATE* (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=370151)

sarahpotter 03-20-2008 10:35 AM

Measles/Emergency Info needed!! *UPDATE*

Here is my UPDATE:

My OB called back, and the baby and I are fine. Nothing to worry about.

And after doing some research and talking to our nurses, my son will not be going in to get the Measles or MMR vaccine at this time.

Thank you for the :hugs: .

I don't know what kind of information I need to know.
I just want someone to talk to me.

Okay so here is whats going on:

My husband has been exposed to Measles.
The guy he works with has them.
My 18mo son had not had a MMR vaccination.
We were not going to get it.
Now what?

I am also 34wks pregnant.
Do I need to call my doctor?
I don't know what to do.

My husband wants me to go get just the vaccination for Measles for our son, today.
I don't know what to do.

kimsansf 03-20-2008 10:56 AM

Re: Measles/Emergency Info needed!!

Id call your doctor immediately. If DH has been exposed, there is a high likelihood that he will contract it. A person is contagious several days before a rash appears. It can be really dangerous for a pregnant woman and infants.... Id call your doctor. I think though, if it's already been contracted there isnt really any specific treatment.... Im not a doctor though, so Im not really sure.

:hugs:

kimsansf 03-20-2008 10:57 AM

wait, has your husband been vaccinated? If he is vaccinated, then i think you might be fine... I think the vaccine is fairly effective.

sarahpotter 03-20-2008 11:23 AM

My husband and I have both been vaccinated when we were young.

I am still waiting for my OB to call me back.

I'm taking my son to his Dr. to just get the Measles vaccine.

palmettosweetheart 03-20-2008 11:31 AM

Vaccines aren't "effective" for several days/weeks after the injection.

I personally would not be too concerned if my DS got the measles. DH got the measles and mumps growing up. He now has lifetime immunity that I will never have as I was "vaccinated".

Typically for pregnant women, Rubella is the only childhood disease to worry about and that is only during the first trimester of pregnancy as it could potentially cause birth defects.

But, I would contact your OBGYN as well as your pediatrician to inform them, ask their advice, and do your own research before you do anything.

Good Luck!

saongiri 03-20-2008 11:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by palmettosweetheart (Post 3090374)

I personally would not be too concerned if my DS got the measles. DH got the measles and mumps growing up. He now has lifetime immunity that I will never have as I was "vaccinated".

Typically for pregnant women, Rubella is the only childhood disease to worry about and that is only during the first trimester of pregnancy as it could potentially cause birth defects.

But, I would contact your OBGYN as well as your pediatrician to inform them, ask their advice, and do your own research before you do anything.

Good Luck!

:yeahthat: for everything above! and if your dh was vax'd and its still effective you should be fine but check with your health care providers :hugs: to you though-I'm sure you're stressed about this!

ceilismom 03-20-2008 12:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sarahpotter (Post 3089668)
I don't know what kind of information I need to know.
I just want someone to talk to me.

Okay so here is whats going on:

My husband has been exposed to Measles.
The guy he works with has them.
My 18mo son had not had a MMR vaccination.
We were not going to get it.
Now what?

I am also 34wks pregnant.
Do I need to call my doctor?
I don't know what to do.

My husband wants me to go get just the vaccination for Measles for our son, today.
I don't know what to do.

Here's my take. Has your son been exposed to the co-worker? If not, you have a little time to think. My understanding is that MMR requires several doses to be effective. So getting him the shot now might not do any good anyhow. If you and your DH are vaccinated, then there is little chance your son would contract measles from either of you just being exposed to it. Research this for yourself to be sure, but the only risk to your unborn baby would be if you were exposed to Rubella and not vaccinated, and that risk is at it's greatest in the first trimester. AFA just getting the measles vax today, it is often not readily available separate from the other 2, so that may not even be an option.

iris0110 03-20-2008 06:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by palmettosweetheart (Post 3090374)

Good Luck!

Actually fifths disease and chickenpox can also be dangerous to a developing fetus, but not that late in development.

The MMR vaccine is not highly effective, and even if it were a vax as a child would not still be effective for you or dh. Which is probably how his co-worker got it anyway. But I am glad to see that you have decided against vaxing. It is a dangerous vax, and measels is more of a nuisance than a threat. I would probably expose my child to the co-worker in hopes of him getting it, but at your stage of pregnancy you probably don't want to be caring for a sick child either. I am personally hoping my boys get all of those childhood diseases and get over them so they don't have to have these kinds of worries as adults. They will know that they are immune.