Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   Breastfeeding Support (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=14)
-   -   bf'ing and biting (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=373106)

kochmm 03-24-2008 11:36 AM

bf'ing and biting

ok so my almost 7 month old has 2 sharp, bottom teeth.. I have pushed my breast into his face when he bites, I have pulled him off and sternly said "no biting Mommy, and have pinched when he bites but no luck.....
Any ideas Mammas??:headscratch:

tarah1218 03-24-2008 11:54 AM

Re: bf'ing and biting

I just posted this and i got the advice to set them down and walk away. It actually has been working, it took a few times but now he knows if he does it that he won't get milk at that moment. I try putting him in a place where there are no toys, usually on my bed.

kgend912 03-24-2008 12:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tarah1218 (Post 3118270)
I just posted this and i got the advice to set them down and walk away. It actually has been working, it took a few times but now he knows if he does it that he won't get milk at that moment. I try putting him in a place where there are no toys, usually on my bed.

I'm having trouble with biting too (ds is a little over 7 months, 2 bottom teeth). I took this advice and did this and he went on a 5 hour nursing strike. He was p.o'd at me.

kochmm 03-24-2008 12:13 PM

Yikes I hope he doesn't strike! He already tried that with solids so he'd be on a big strike if he strikes on the boobs :giggle:

Griffinsmom 03-24-2008 12:25 PM

keep in mind they aren't doing it to be "bad" and babies aren't moral -that part of their brain isn't even close to being developed yet, so I don't really think scolding makes sense.
I have been bitten twice both times I let out a scream/yelp (no strategy here, it just HURT) and both times it scared him so badly he cried. He didn't do it again for a loooong time.

merandus 03-27-2008 06:20 PM

if they bite then laugh, thats when somethings up., both my kids did this to me. unfortunatly thats when i cut them off. with my 9 month old i only pump. i miss the cuddling and staring into her eyes, but she bites really hard! my 2 yr old did this at 7 months old, and would lift himself up like he had other things more important to do. it sucks. :diaper:

AngelTV83 03-27-2008 09:09 PM

my daughter didn't bit until she was 11 monthish and a friend said to flick her nose once and she wouldn't do it again that didn't work though. So later that same night she was very tired and bit me again and I smacked her back like a burping tap not hard at all and plooped her off and said no biting you hurt mama and let her sit and cry for about 1min then nursed her again and she never bit me again.

lulusmom 03-28-2008 01:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kochmm (Post 3118114)
ok so my almost 7 month old has 2 sharp, bottom teeth.. I have pushed my breast into his face when he bites, I have pulled him off and sternly said "no biting Mommy, and have pinched when he bites but no luck.....
Any ideas Mammas??:headscratch:

Omg I could have posted this post word for word right now exept mine is a dd rather than a ds. Dd is just over 7 months and just cut her two front bottom teeth. :cry:

kochmm 03-28-2008 05:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AngelTV83 (Post 3153784)
my daughter didn't bit until she was 11 monthish and a friend said to flick her nose once and she wouldn't do it again that didn't work though. So later that same night she was very tired and bit me again and I smacked her back like a burping tap not hard at all and plooped her off and said no biting you hurt mama and let her sit and cry for about 1min then nursed her again and she never bit me again.

I'll try that, although my first reaction is always OOCHE!:bite:

HeavenlyHold 03-28-2008 06:49 AM

I screamed the first time she did it and it scared her and she stopped!