Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   Parenting Talk (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=12)
-   -   Inform me on FF/RF in carseats please.. (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=377755)

*Alabamamom* 03-28-2008 05:14 PM

Inform me on FF/RF in carseats please..

I know I've seen threads on this, but can't find them now! So Andrew is 2yrs, 31lbs and 35ish inches tall.. We turned him around at 18 months to face forward, shortly after we returned from our vacation in California... he was 28 lbs.. Now after seeing blinkys and things saying RF until 35 lbs, I really am wondering if we have turned him too soon! Should he be RF still at his age and weight? :headscratch:

kannondicarpo 03-28-2008 05:16 PM

Re: Inform me on FF/RF in carseats please..

My children will RF as long as the seat will allow them to. Usually about 33-35lbs.

nak

ThatLinGirl 03-28-2008 05:19 PM

RF is far safer in an accident, yes. One of the things that scared me the most was the fact that FF kids are far more likely to be internally decapitated in an accident than RF ones are. Their pelvises and bone structures still aren't totally fused at this age, which is part of why RF is important even if the child is big/muscular, etc.

Jillybean 03-28-2008 05:19 PM

My youngest is the exact same size as yours(had a well check today) and he is still rearfacing. He will remain rearfacing until he hits 33lbs(the rearfacing limit of his marathon) or this summer when the baby comes which ever comes first.

mom2riley 03-28-2008 05:21 PM

Check out the links in my siggy mama. RFing is the safest and I will also be keeping my DD RFing as long as possible.

*Alabamamom* 03-28-2008 05:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mom2riley (Post 3162382)
Check out the links in my siggy mama. RFing is the safest and I will also be keeping my DD RFing as long as possible.

OH.MY.GOD. I am in tears from watching that youtube video!!!!!! My baby is getting turned back around IMMEDIATELY!!!!!!! :cry:
What do you all think as far as saftest way to install, LATCH or the seat belts?

mom2riley 03-28-2008 05:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by *Alabamamom* (Post 3162521)
OH.MY.GOD. I am in tears from watching that youtube video!!!!!! My baby is getting turned back around IMMEDIATELY!!!!!!! :cry:
What do you all think as far as saftest way to install, LATCH or the seat belts?

:hugs: That is awesome! Both ways are equally safe. I would go with whichever way you can get the best install. This doesn't pertain to you now, but later on make sure to check you vehicle and carseat manuals latch weight limit. I personally always try latch 1st (because I find it a bit more convenient).

brooklynn 03-28-2008 06:21 PM

What seat do you have mama? (OP?) I ask because the RF weight limits vary from seat to seat, so please make sure your seat allows for RF beyond 30 pounds.
ETA: I wanted to add that you should not eat yourself up over not having him RF! We do the best we can with the information we have. You're doing something about it now and that speaks volumes. It's the parents that have this information that don't do anything about it that should lose sleep at night. Pat yourself on the back for taking initiative and making your DS safer.

*Alabamamom* 03-30-2008 10:46 AM

His seat says it can RF until 35 lbs (or turn to ff at 20 lbs! :yikes: ).. so he was officially turned back around yesterday! The only thing that isn't going to be so great, is now he can't see the dvd movies etc.. But, I think this week I am going to get him a portable player to attach to his seat.. He just loves 'happy feet'.. :giggle2:
I don't want to ever turn him around now! That video was so scary.. So when he hits 35lbs and I have to turn him, I fear him still getting very hurt in an impact.. I wish they made the seats where you could RF until 40lbs! My 3rd dc didn't hit 40lbs until she was 7! lol I guess they'd be too squished up at that age though.
I am currently looking into changing his carseat to a Britax though.. the one he has now is a costco scenera and it is one of the recommended brands out there, but I will just feel safer with a Britax at this point.

LunaBirch 03-30-2008 11:09 AM

Mama, Im glad you switched him back, but PLEASE try not to worry to much. FFing is NOT a death sentence. I also practice ERF, but recently turned my 32lb 2 yo FFing because I just couldnt get him in RFing anymore.. it was getting way to hard on me physically (I have fibromyalgia, and when it flares, it makes even caring for my kids very difficult). His seat only RF to 33 lbs, so he was very close anyways (Im sure fully dressed he exceeds 33 lbs anyways).

Back in 2002, I was 18 and driving home on the freeway (65 mph) with my best friends 9 mo daughter FF in an old Century T-shield carseat that Id bought for 2 bucks from the thrift store. Beflore y'all throw flames, I was young, childless and seriously didnt know any better. BUT the seat was installed correctly and securely with just seatbelt (this seat and my car didnt have tethers). Anyways, a deer jumped out, I slammed on the brakes, and my car spun around several times, colliding with the gaurdrail on 3 of 4 corners. I figure the car was going at least 40 at the time of impact, and the car was TOTALED. And guess what? Baby Cass emerged from that accident completely unscathed!! Well she did have a tiny mark on her shoulder from the strap because it was resting on her bare skin,but it didnt even phase her. Of course I realize I did LOTS of things wrong in this situation, but i like to share my story as a testament that FF is SAFE, and that a PROPERLY INSTALLED carseat is truely what matters.. not RF/FF or how expensive your seat is.