Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   Breastfeeding Support (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=14)
-   -   Excess spit-up-another question added post 21 (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=377825)

Keropisunshine23 03-28-2008 07:31 PM

Excess spit-up-another question added post 21

I was just wondering if any other mamas had a baby that basically spit-up 1/2 of what he eats after feeding on the breast. I understand the bottle spit-up, but it is so weird to me that he spits up so much after I nurse him. It is usually 20-30 minutes after he eats that this happens and then he wants to eat again. He gets really fussy if we don't feed him, but I feel like he is overeating. I feel like I really need an instruction manual for this lo, I'm getting there, but I have faced many new challenges with this one.:giggle2:
Any ideas?

starsandlollipops 03-28-2008 07:34 PM

Re: Does anyone else have a bf baby with excess spit-up?

WOW~ I JUST went to my pedi. for this on Tues.
With DD, she hardly spit up at all, and my little man spits up ALL the time. The pedi said some babies just spit up more than others, and that it could be reflux.

DS does the same thing after he eats, he spits a lot of it up, and then wants to eat again- but I too feel like he's eating more than his little belly can handle..
I find if I burp him in the middle of feeding, and then when he's done, it helps a little, so maybe it might help for you?

Priscella 03-28-2008 09:12 PM

Burp him before the feeding is done, half way in between the feeding, and then finish up, you might have to do it more then once. I had an oversupply for awhile with my first DS, and he was just getting so much milk, then he would spit it up also. But the burping in between a feeding did help some.

Is it just lots of spit up, or is it more like a forceful spit up. If its more forceful, like vomiting milk, then it could indicate a more serious problem.

emilybrook 03-28-2008 09:19 PM

My son did the same thing...still does actually. At first, the doc said he may be overeating (said that's the most common cause for reflux) so I would cut him off. That would help for a while but it all came back. I started burping him every 3 minutes or so and that helped for a while. Then, when he wouldn't sleep well all of a sudden, I decided to finally take him in and ask about true reflux...it had gotten SUPER projectile by this point. My sister's DD was a spitter so I just figured this was normal for the longest time. Once we finally got on meds, WOW, what a difference. We still have our bad days but it's better. When he gains weight, the meds have to get bumped up because they quit working. I'm rambling now...does any of that help? I'd try limiting how much he gets and burp a lot as a first measure. I didn't want to put him on meds so I tried everything that I could think of first.

Do you have a fast, heavy letdown?? That could be part of the problem. It was part of mine at first. He couldn't handle the flow so he gulped a bunch of air at the beginning of the feeding and that put air at the bottom of the belly...only later to come up with everything on top of it.

I also started sitting him up in my lap instead of laying him down. Gravity helped a lot.

MommyLady 03-28-2008 09:38 PM

My son had excessive spit up, but was a "happy spitter". Miss Rowan is the same way. He was, and she is, EBF. Sometimes it amazes me, the sheer amount of it, but she never acts like it hurts her. I've tried eliminating things from my diet (didn't work), burping halfway through feedings (didn't work), and keeping her as still as possible in a sitting up position after (didn't work). She is gaining though, so the doctor isn't concerned.

emilybrook 03-28-2008 09:42 PM

Oh yeah, forgot to say that he gained weight well so we just dealt with it. It wasn't until it got forceful and interfering with sleep that we felt the need to call the doc. I hope this isn't the case with you and hopefully he'll grow out of it soon.

Keropisunshine23 03-29-2008 03:48 AM

It varies from feeding to feeding. Sometimes it is projectile and sometimes it is all curdled. (EWWW!!!!) But it is always way more than I would consider to be normal spit-up. My first son was the same till we switched to cows milk and a cup at 9 months, but I was hoping to hold off longer on milk with this ds since I know BM is better. I do have a doc appt in a week, so I know I can talk to him then, but in the meantime, I will try your suggestions, thanks, mamas!!:thumbsup:

mommy21princess 03-29-2008 10:30 AM

If it's going across the room (seriously!!) then it's probably more of a reflux issue. Remember too though spit up looks like a lot but if you take a tablespoon of milk/water and spill it it looks like a lot too!!! ( that always helped me to stay calm!!)

Anyway my dd did have reflux but she was crying ALL the time with it. You could tell it was hurting her and she was spitting it across the room. It was aweful,once we got meds. though she was a new baby!!

Def. try burping in the middle of the feedings that'll help either way even if it is reflux. Also the doctor told me that it was fine to keep feeding a bf'd baby. If they have reflux it makes theyre belly feel better and he said to just let her nurse as much as she wanted. I did and most of the time she'd throw up on me. If I took it away she acted like she was starving until I gave it back and then she'd throw up on me! FUN Times those first couple of weeks!! LOL

Good luck. It's really hard to overfeed a bf'd baby so I wouldn't worry about it. www.kellymom.com is a GREAT place to read about reflux. It def. helped me with tips on what to do.

((hugs)) You're doing great, keep it up!!

assistantcoach 03-29-2008 11:06 AM

Here you go...hope this helps. It's from the LLL.

http://www.llli.org//llleaderweb/LV/LVSepOct95p69a.html

kmjmom 03-29-2008 11:09 AM

#3 was a major refluxer to the point of needing surgery at 3 months to 'fix' it. We tried all teh meds first but none of them made a difference for him :( If he is in pain the meds could help...there are a few to try. Some work for some babies and others for others. Good luck. THere ar also some weighted formulas and 'stuff' to try so I am pretty confident you will never find a doctor that will have you put a 4 month old on cows milk