Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   Diaper Chatter and Q & A (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=10)
-   -   Im in shock (death post-a lil on topic) (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=37803)

mooandme 09-03-2006 11:56 PM

Im in shock (death post-a lil on topic)

I just read on another board that Steve Irwin died. I went "who" so I looked up his name and when the picture came up my mouth dropped open. He was sooo young and has a baby. I remember hearing more than once that he had a bunch of khaki pocket diapers made for the baby. I feel so sad for that family and that man. :crying:

http://www.theage.com.au/articles/20...222051494.html

bikruca 09-04-2006 12:01 AM

Re: Im in shock (death post-a lil on topic)

I can't say I am shocked..

I mean- it is really sad that he left a family behind, but clearly his priorities weren't in line of that was a concern for him... his whole lifestyle was just setting the stage for something like this to happen...

mooandme 09-04-2006 12:04 AM

I mean I knew he did dangerous stuff, but I never expected him to die from it. I guess I thought he'd stop before something happened. That sounds stupid now reading it. What was I thinking...

I dont know what to say about him as a person. I'm not there with him. I mean tv can really make people look different from the way they really are. Not saying either way bad or good, just saying.

Quote:

Originally Posted by bikruca

I mean- it is really sad that he left a family behind, but clearly his priorities weren't in line of that was a concern for him... his whole lifestyle was just setting the stage for something like this to happen...

dirtdartwife 09-04-2006 12:17 AM

I feel sorry for his family. But the entire job he did dealt with animals.. not trained domesticated ones either. When I read "sting ray" I was like Wha??? You typically get slammed in the leg... but wow, he got stung in the heart!!! I'll be certainly keeping his family in my prayers tonight... :cry: My kids LOVED his show and my DD actually cried when she learned of his death. :cry:

ZooCrew10 09-04-2006 01:11 AM

That is sad to hear that he died, just as it would be with anyone else, sad mostly for his surviving spouse and children. That said, he did deal with dangerous animals and it seemed as though it was bound to happen at some point. I personally lost my respect for him when I saw him dance his baby around in a crocodile pen as though she (I think it was a girl) were a piece of meat....haven't watched him since then. But again, so sad for his family to lose a husband and a father.

EDITED TO ADD:

I am adding this rather starting a new reply as I feel folks reading the first few replies are getting completely off-base with what they are reading. Simple opinions about Steve Irwin's lifestyle, which are actually really irrelevant considering the manner of his death by a normally passive animal, have gotten me completely disgusted by how these opinions have been twisted and turned around. Some of the posters are reading what they want to see and misconstruing simple statements turning them into declarations that Steve Irwin "deserved to die." I CHALLENGE any of you to show me a post where it states that anyone pro or against his choice of lifestyle, has stated clearly that he deserved to die. You *won't* find that statement because it isn't there! This is similar to that kid game where one person whispers "glue" in the ear of the person next to him, and 10 people later it comes out "Chinese". I think we can agree to disagree on his choice of lifestyle. I think the major issue isn't whether or not his choice of profession makes him "a bad parent" but that he chose to involve his children in some of his shows to boost his ratings in a dangerous manner. If any of us in normal society were to place our children in similar dangerous situations, we'd have ourselves reported to CPS and our kids yanked out of our homes so fast it'd make your head spin. Why shouldn't an educator/entertainer be held accountable for his actions as well? It isn't about whether or not he was teaching his children about wild animals (although I have to ask, how much is a 1 month old able to learn??) I have horses, I've handled them most of my life. I teach my children how to safely and respectfully handle them, even after they may have been injured by a spooked horse. Does that mean I am going to set my 10 month old in the middle of a horses stall or the turn-out just to prove my handling capabilities and the animal's trust in me? HECK NO. Why? Because that would be irresponsible and animals are unpredictable, even domesticated ones. I don't even allow my dopey golden retriever alone with a hair pulling, tail yanking 10 month old because I can't guarantee what he'll do.

I'm sad he died, truly I am, and have never nor will ever make a claim that he deserved to die. BUT!!! IF anyone were given a poll to ask them how you think he may have been killed, which would you choose? A) killed by an animal, or B) falling off the roof of his house while cleaning out the gutters. If you were honest you'd choose A because he put himself into dangerous situations with wild animals all the time and often was shown antangonizing them. You know what my 9 and 10 year old said this morning while watching the Today show when his story came on? "He must have poked it with a stick and made it mad at him". A CHILD SAID THIS, with no input from myself or anyone else. Okay, I'm done. Go ahead and put words into my mouth, twist this, change it into whatever format makes you feel better.

urchin_grey 09-04-2006 02:35 AM

It was his son that he was holding. Not that I agree with what he did either, but he didn't hold the baby out for the croc or anything... he fed a chicken to the crocodile while holding the baby.

I think most people think of it that way because the media was equating it to Michael Jackson holding his baby over the balcony.

Menfusse 09-04-2006 07:42 AM

Sure his priorities weren't on track at times, but that doesn't mean his family loved him any less. He was a husband and a daddy and that was their way of life. They didn't know any different. It doesn't make it any less devistating for his wife and kids. It is really sad. My dd use to watch a Wiggles video with him and his little girl starring in it. He loved his kids, I'm sure :(.

Jcrsmom 09-04-2006 07:50 AM

If that's all you knew growing up, don't you think you would do it as well? To him, that was his "JOB" There are many jobs that you can get killed doing like being a cop, firefighter, the ppl over in the war, the list goes on and on..I guess all of those ppl don't have their priorities straight either huh?
Quote:

Originally Posted by bikruca

amyers 09-04-2006 07:52 AM

I think it's very sad. He did a lot of valuable work with animals and conserving their environments. . . I am sure he taught his children respect for the earth and all its inhabitants . . .

So he was a little crazy sometimes.

(and I think it's interesting that him feeding a croc while holding his son was this big scandal, but his wife waving the most poisonous snakes in the world around by their tails while quite pregnant with their first didn't even get a passing glance - that scandalized me much more! Heck, the kid is five and I still remember it!!!)

It's still a sad loss, especially for the Australia Zoo. . .

Jcrsmom 09-04-2006 07:56 AM

AMEN! I think at times we all do things that aren't right on track. His lifestyle was different and his wife knew that when she married him and had the kids with him. I think it's just like someone marrying into military..you know what their job is and yet you still marry and have kids. I have allot of military friends and it's just something you put faith in that it won't happen in your family.(meaning getting deployed etc)
Quote:

Originally Posted by Menfusse
Sure his priorities weren't on track at times, but that doesn't mean his family loved him any less. He was a husband and a daddy and that was their way of life. They didn't know any different. It doesn't make it any less devistating for his wife and kids. It is really sad. My dd use to watch a Wiggles video with him and his little girl starring in it. He loved his kids, I'm sure :(.