Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   Diaper Chatter and Q & A (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=10)
-   -   How many loads??? (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=37835)

lizanneh 09-04-2006 08:12 AM

How many loads???

I read somewhere that washing MF inserts with fleece can make it pilly. Then I read the same about washing PFs with fleece. So, what can be washed with what?

I have MF inserts/doublers, hemp inserts, suedecloth pockets, fleece pockets, fitteds, CPFs, AIOs. How many loads do I need to do and how do I seperate them out?

For those of you who wash seperately, do you use mutiple wetbags?

Raquelita 09-04-2006 08:41 AM

Re: How many loads???

i don't wash separetly and have not had much of a problem - if things get a bit pilly i don't care b/c i'd rather have that than doing umpteen loads of laundry.

lizanneh 09-04-2006 08:49 AM

lol yeah I know a lot of people don't worry about it, but I'm obsessive compulsive, and wants my dipes looking new. I don't mind the extra loads, I just want to keep everything pristine.

mercy589 09-04-2006 08:53 AM

I dont seperate anything, and I haven't seen a problem either.

Timetodance 09-04-2006 09:17 AM

You should seperate new cotton things from microfiber things for the first few washes. Then don't worry about it. Wash prefolds at least four times before you mix it in with your other things.

~stacy~ 09-04-2006 09:28 AM

Well, I always wash in separate loads so things stay as nice as possible.

You can always wash your pockets together, regardless of the inner being fleece or suedecloth. I wash any fitteds, prefolds, hemp and microfiber all in the same load together. If the AIOs have a fleece or suedecloth inner, I'd go ahead and wash them with the pockets. If they have a cotton or hemp inner, I'd wash them with the inserts and fitteds.

I am also anal enough (can I say that here? :blush: ) that I was all of my sons fleece sleepers in a separate load too. But I don't mind the extra load. What... so it takes like 5 more minutes of my time to put things in and then switch them to the drier? It's not like I have to go to a luandromat and watch it while it washes or something. And I notice a BIG difference in how nice they stay. That's enough for me to justify the extra load. Especially after paying $15 or more per pocket dipe. I want it as soft as possible for as long as possible. But that's just my :2cents:

:mrgreen:

FitMommyOf2 09-04-2006 09:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Timetodance
You should seperate new cotton things from microfiber things for the first few washes. Then don't worry about it. Wash prefolds at least four times before you mix it in with your other things.

:yeahthat:
The only thing I sometimes do is washing all my MF and hemp inserts seperately and give them a lil bleach wash (every few months) to get them white(r) again.

SarahJane 09-04-2006 01:31 PM

This is in the category of not at all necessary but probably more of preference. Except in the case of new hemp or prefolds which always should be washed separately for 4 or so loads until the oil is out.

I separate my inserts from my pockets as we use them. Small hanging tote for the diapers and a large regular pail for the inserts. Really cuts down on smell too.

I wash all the inserts and wipes together in one load and sometime throw in the pail liner if I don't have a load of towels or something that's going to need a hot wash. (I have micro fiber, prefolds, hemp jersey, hemp fleece and combos that include burley cotton knit.) The ones that lint the most are definately the looser weave cottons. I just don't like a bunch of white pills on my dark fleece diapers, so I started doing this from the beginning. It's on Ruth's web site and I was clueless when I started so I thought if it works for a Mother of ten it should work for me. :giggle:

Then I wash my pockets and AIO's in a separte load with the small hanging pail. Then hang to dry. Toss the AIO's in for the second dry cycle of JB's since they don't pill.

I wash my fleece jammies with out pockets sometimes or by themselves. If they are dark they work great with jeans (tight weave).

Good luck!

CMamma 09-04-2006 01:34 PM

I don't separate anything. Well occasionally I'll toss my pockets to the side & not put them in the pail - I don't like storing PUL in the pail... so covers & pockets usually sit in the deep sink. I'll toss them in the wash w/my sheets or something. But everything else together.