Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   Parenting Talk (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=12)
-   -   Presents for a first birthday? (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=37886)

jjaelovesenglish 09-04-2006 11:30 AM

Presents for a first birthday?

Okay ladies, I am kind of clueless. What kind of things do children get for a first birthday. I don't have a clue and it will be comming up here before I know it. I want to get something appropriate and not something lavish, but I need help!
Thanks in advance

sewingmama2005 09-04-2006 11:48 AM

Re: Presents for a first birthday?

A big huge chocolate cake with TONS of colors of icing on it LOL
We got dd a simple small toy, she didn't know it was a special day, and didn't really seem to care.

momto2boysinOnt 09-04-2006 06:18 PM

We didn't make a great big deal out of first birthday presents. Kids seem to prefer the box at that age anyway.

We bought DS1 a toy drum from Discovery Toys that he still plays with occasionally now at almost 4. I think DS2's gift was an even bigger hit though - a ball that cost me $1.99 at the grocery store as I was shopping for food for his party. He loves it and was thrilled to open it. Watching him play with it was the biggest thrill of my day.

Some people buy special keepsake gifts, like a piggy bank or a music box, if you'd like to get something like that.

havanadaydreamin 09-04-2006 06:24 PM

Well, Delaney got a few big things. I got her a PBK Everywhere chair with her name embroidered on it. She loves having her own chair in the living room.

She also got a swingset from her papa.

A wagon is always a hit.

Her favorite present was........ a battery operated bubble machine! LOL

Severine 09-04-2006 06:42 PM

For DD, we focused on books and quality wooden puzzles. Things she would enjoy for a while and learn from. Other than that, it was money into her savings account. Our families did buy her clothes and some other odds and ends, but many contributed to her savings as well.

SheilaJoy 09-04-2006 06:51 PM

I'm going to get Hannah a brand new cloth diaper! :razz:

No seriously though, I never get the kids much when they're this young. Something to bang, or something that makes noise...and wrapped in lots of wrapping paper.

ShannaMarie 09-05-2006 03:43 PM

My fave 1st bday gift is the LeapFrog Fridge Farm. They can play with it at 12 months, usually figure it out by 18, and still love it for years--my 3-year-old still loves his!

urchin_grey 09-05-2006 04:56 PM

Quote:

Her favorite present was........ a battery operated bubble machine! LOL
We got one of those for Bram too! And it was a hit at his party because my friends babies were there too. :)

He also LOVES his Little People though... I think that was his favorite. :thumbsup: I think I'm in the minority though or something because we went "all out" for his birthday. :blush: But hey, it was my first (and only so far) baby's first birthday. :mrgreen:

jls~Kain~Drake 09-05-2006 05:14 PM

My first.....I went nuts :blush: I couldn't (and wouldn't :blush: ) go into all the *CRAP* I got for ds1. It was *ridiculous*:banghead: :lostit: . With my second, I learned :thumbsup: :goodvibes: The most important thing was his own little cake. As far as presents, I got him an animal book and some cars (like a 4/5 pack of hot wheels - he loves those) and mil and fil got him an Elmo "radio" thing (which was played with that one day...and hasn't been looked at since...but the book was a hit!). He also got some clothes for winter. Not a lot though, because I have tons of hand-me-downs from ds1. Just enough for him to have something that was purchased new for him :) And that was from my mom.

weddell 09-05-2006 05:48 PM

We got dd the fisher price little people farm. It was a little more than $30 and we figure she will play with it for a while. She really likes it so far.