Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   Breastfeeding Support (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=14)
-   -   EBF 8 month old? (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=379649)

aliandmimismom 03-30-2008 08:22 PM

EBF 8 month old?

My dd is not taking any solids, I've been trying for 2 months now, before a feed, after a feed, Dr is starting to freak out, but her advice isn't working...anyone else have this problem?

MamaHellcat 03-30-2008 08:28 PM

Re: EBF 8 month old?

Don't freak out, solids aren't necessary at this age. Before a year old, solids are just meant to be for practice anyhow. I know of several babies who just were not the least bit interested in anything but breastmilk until a year or later. I'm not saying this will be the case with your baby, but they are beautiful, healthy kids, both then and now.

hope that eases your mind a little :hugs:

Calideedle 03-30-2008 08:28 PM

Both my kids were EBF until after 1yr-old!

Breastmilk is really all they NEED until after a year. Solids is just for fun until then.

foodie.yarnie.mommie. 03-30-2008 08:33 PM

Completely agree with pp, you have nothing to worry about mama as long as babe is growing and is happy and healthy. My DD wouldn't take solids until she was 13mo and she wasn't eating 3 solid "meals" a day until after she was 15mo.

chameleon607 03-30-2008 08:34 PM

My DS is 8.5 months and has only a little bit of babyfood/fingerfood a day- maybe 2 Tablespoons althoug he's getting interested in more food. I had a friend who's little boy was EBF/no solids until he was 13 months- he's a happy and healthy 7 year old now. I thought I had read somewhere that babies can get all the nutrition they need from breastmilk for the first 12 months. I wouldn't worry as long as you have a happy, healthy daughter who is gaining weight well. Sounds to me like she just isn't interested yet. What have you tried to feed her so far?

BasicallyBliss 03-30-2008 08:42 PM

I would only worry if she was showing other oral aversions as well. For example, if she doesn't mouth on her toys or put things in her mouth.

Nutritionally, EBF is fine. :thumbsup:

NaturalUrbanMama 03-30-2008 09:21 PM

If she's happy, healthy and active, try not to worry! Lots and lots of kids (as you can see from all the previous posts) don't really "eat" until after a year, so don't worry and don't stress!

if you want to check out a book, read "My Child Won't Eat".. I can't remember the author but it made me feel a lot better!

SMKelley 03-30-2008 09:24 PM

Another late "learner" (although eating has nothing to do with intelligence) here!

presleycaedmon 03-30-2008 09:24 PM

Presley was EBF for a little over a year without any problems. She wasn't interested in solids (even though we tried) and breast milk is a complete form of nutrition. No biggie.

imamama3 03-30-2008 10:24 PM

My son took a ...long... time to figure out solids, compared to my other two. His weight percentile was dropping, although he still looked chunky and was getting enough thanks to frequent nursing. He finally got it around the end of his 8th mo. and he's doing fine with it now. Just maybe wait a week and try again. That's the routine I tried and eventually it just clicked and he started opening his mouth like a little bird. :)