Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   Parenting Talk (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=12)
-   -   How accurate are bathroom scales to weigh toddlers?? (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=380175)

*Alabamamom* 03-31-2008 11:16 AM

How accurate are bathroom scales to weigh toddlers??

I just weighed Andrew on my digital bathroom scale and it shows he is 26.8 lbs! Are bathroom scales accurate for toddlers????? :headscratch: When I took him in Jan for an ear infection, they said he was 28lbs8oz ..He had actually lost about a lb due to being sick...then he seemed to have bulked up after that and was outgrowing things and I was thinking he was maybe about 30lbs.. he looks taller now though and looks like he's thinned out a little bit.. but I wouldn't think he would have lost weight.. Surely he hasn't lost 2 pounds?! He doesn't seem sickly or anything, eats fairly decent.. :headscratch:

Jenifer 03-31-2008 11:19 AM

Re: How accurate are bathroom scales to weigh toddlers??

to my knowledge scales that are weighting exact (properly set) should weight any item no matter how big or small properly. do you have a new 5lb bag of flower, or a dumbell you could weight on it to see if its calibrated?

laj 03-31-2008 12:15 PM

My guys will sometimes stand on the scale and it's *fairly* accurate, but I wouldn't completely trust it. I find if they move at all it affects the reading - like they could stand on it and get a reading of 30lbs and then stand on it again 1 minute later and get a reading of 31.5lbs.

tallanvor 03-31-2008 04:56 PM

Not all scaled are necessarily calibrated the same, either. And some are knocked "off" more easily than others, also. Our pediatrician's office makes sure that children are weighed on the same scale for at least the 1st 6 months because that way they know the scale has the same setting, I guess.

*Alabamamom* 03-31-2008 05:10 PM

You know what I just realized.. at the doctors, they always weigh him fully clothed.. I weighed him right before his bath so he was naked. Do you think his clothing could weigh 2 lbs? Wow, I'm just shocked that he's not as big as I thought.. I've been going around thinking he's 30-31lbs when he's actually not even a full 27 yet! :yikes: I am in the midst of changing pediatricians, I will see if they will weigh him with his clothing and shoes off, just in his diaper and see what he weighs.

Jillybean 03-31-2008 05:16 PM

I wouldn't think his clothes could weigh more than a pound unless he was wearing a lot of heavy clothes or shoes. I would guess that your scale isn't calibrated the same as the DR's. I usually test mine by weighing myself or child immediately after coming home from a Dr's visit where I know nothing has really changed, input/output wise, to see if they are the same. If not then I know how far off it is so I can adjust in the future.

picklesmama 03-31-2008 05:43 PM

It shouldn't matter how accurate the scale itself is if you weigh him in your arms, then weigh yourself without him and subtract it. The difference will be his weight no matter whether or not the scale was correct about your weight.

Jillybean 03-31-2008 05:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by picklesmama (Post 3188844)
It shouldn't matter how accurate the scale itself is if you weigh him in your arms, then weigh yourself without him and subtract it. The difference will be his weight no matter whether or not the scale was correct about your weight.

I forgot about that, thats how I figured out how much a ham I had weighed, lol. This will always work.

*Alabamamom* 04-01-2008 09:21 AM

Ohh.. thanks I will do that now!

*Alabamamom* 04-01-2008 09:37 AM

Okay... doing it that way.. it come out that he is 26.8 exactly!! When I put him on himself this time it said 27 even... Wow, I have a little 2 yo boy! I can't believe I have been going around thinking it was 30lbs+.. that 3 lbs makes a big difference in such a small child.. If I remember correctly, he had on his shoes and all last they weighed him at the dr.. I think his clothes and shoes (being COLD so thicker clothing) must have accounted for 2-3 lbs! Plus, I know he had his breakfast before that appt.. It makes sense if he was really say 26 lbs then, instead of the 28.8 they said he was in Jan! SO, that makes me feel better that it looks like he's gained at least .8 since then.. Make sense? :headscratch: LOL!