Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   Parenting Talk (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=12)
-   -   am I a bad mom? TV question (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=3805)

sesa70 05-05-2006 05:31 PM

am I a bad mom? TV question

Older dd watches tv in the mornings while having breakfast and getting ready for school. Its so hectic in the am, I will let our 5 month old dd sit in her seat next to her sister and watch tv:hide:
Its usually for half hour to 45 minutes, and it mesmerizes her. It gives me the time i need to run around and get older dd ready for school and on the bus.
I feel so guilty! Is this terrible?

Kele 05-05-2006 07:36 PM

Re: am I a bad mom? TV question

I don't think so. My tv is almost always on (for background noise - and I do watch a lot) and I just don't think it's 'bad'. We play and talk and she learns lots here - we don't veg out all day in front of it.
:hugs:

vick 05-05-2006 08:41 PM

Definitely don't ask this over at MDC :)

I use 30 minutes of TV in the a.m. for getting breakfast and waking up. I do make sure she's watching something age-appropriate, but even that is probably more protective than I need to be ... when I was a baby I watched a ton of TV; so much that apparently I walked around saying "Edge! Edge! Edge!" because my mom watched the old soap "The Edge of Night". I didn't have any attention span issues, I wasn't a fat and lazy couch potato, and I went to a gifted school - so I'm not super paranoid about the 30-60 minutes of TV (hey, sometimes mommy needs to shower, too) my DD gets in the average day.

ocfb16 05-05-2006 08:57 PM

I think it's all in the opinion of the parent. Who am I to decide whether it is bad or good for everyone else to let their child watch t.v.? I let my daughter watch 2 shows a day. She enjoys watching t.v. I will not let her become a couch potato, and I make sure it is suitable shows. That is where I think the problem is more often not that they watch a lot of t.v. but the programs they are watching are not well suited for them.

SheilaJoy 05-05-2006 09:11 PM

Yeah, I definitely wouldn't have posted this on an AP board. :laugh:

But I'm with you :afraid: When I need to get things done, I sometimes put my dd in her Bebe Pod seat and let her watch TV. HEY, in my defense, my kids have learned a LOT from Sesame Street!! :razz:

FunnyMonkey 05-06-2006 01:24 AM

I think the "experts" say NO TV AT ALL until they are over 3, anything tv viewing under that age is harmful!?!

I've also heard though, that tv is good for their visual development.

Personally, I think what you are doing is fine. We have tv on as background at least part of everyday. DD watches an episode of a show she likes 1-3 times a week I think, about a half hour.

4boys4me 05-06-2006 07:41 AM

I let my kids watch t.v. I am the one who always sticks up for others when they think they are doing a bad thing. I stay home 24/7 with my children. I need a break. They have learned a lot. As long as you don't let it run thier lives. We do arts and crafts, etc.. Yes, my kids watch t.v.; so what! You could get into big debates over this issue,lol.. I do not think it is such a bad thing. My kids are very smart and have learned a lot watching the appropriate shows for thier age...

keegans_mommy 05-06-2006 07:45 AM

I let my kids sit in front of the "electronic babysitter" sometimes. Especially when mom needs a shower or even a break. I am not super woman nor am I the perfect parent, my kids are all very intelligent, thin and they chose to NOT watch t.v. all day long. So, as long as they chose that, I don't stress it.

You are NOT a bad mom for letting them do that. I feel that stress and contention is the greater evil in this situation and you are doing your part to keep the peace and get things done :hugs:

But ya, I agree with the others here that you shouldn't ask that question on MDC LOL

twinsmomkatie 05-06-2006 12:15 PM

off topic . . . what is MDC?

SheilaJoy 05-06-2006 01:16 PM

mothering.com A lot of people are nazi about their beliefs there.