Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   Breastfeeding Support (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=14)
-   -   Pacifying! Can someone help me?? (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=38200)

Leininger27 09-05-2006 11:37 AM

Pacifying! Can someone help me??

My ds is 3 1/2 months old and constantly wants ME! I can tell when he is pacifying and when he is eating. My boobs can't handle the constant sucking anymore. I have tried a pacifier, but I can't seem to get him to keep it in his mouth. I have tried different brands and still he won't keep it in.
Are there any tricks to keep the paci in his mouth? What do I do?
HELP!!! TIA!!

tessa1002 09-05-2006 11:38 AM

Re: Pacifying! Can someone help me??

is he spitting it out or is he trying to keep it in, but its falling out?

Leininger27 09-05-2006 11:40 AM

He spits it back out. He sucks on it for like 30 seconds and them spits it out. I think???

urchin_grey 09-05-2006 12:08 PM

Some babies just don't like paci's. My mom BFed all FIVE of us girls and not a one of us would take a pacifier (much to her dismay). On the other hand, my DS loves his. But some just never will take one. If you really want him to though, I don't see why you should stop trying!

Hope everything works out! :hugs:

Leininger27 09-05-2006 12:21 PM

I know some kids just won't take a paci, but ds#3 wants to suck on me constantly so why won't he take a paci! :banghead: DD and Ds#2 neither of them took a paci, but they didn't use me as a pacifier either.

At what age your DC take a paci if they did?

orteggleston 09-05-2006 12:37 PM

Both of my boys have been "suckers" :giggle: And of course neither of them took a paci. They would gag and spit them out no matter which brand/size I tried.

The only time they take a paci is when my mom gives it to them. She is a neonatal nurse and just has the touch I suppose...of course there are those times that she has resorted to sweeties (a sweet liquid they use in the hospital to help the preemies suck on binkies, bottles...) and powder sugar :rolleyes:

It is rough, especially on the boobies, but it won't last forever mama!

Good luck! :goodvibes:

negrapy 09-05-2006 12:38 PM

my son liked his paci but couldn't at that age really keep it in his mouth. We'd have to hold it for him. Does he cry when he spits it out? Ours did .... I really think it was that tongue thrust reflex that got him. After awhile he got cordinated enough with his hands to suck on them instead ... well probably about that age really and that was so much nicer. I got to the place too where he couldn't just suck like that on me all the time. i would give him one time a day around lunch for that. I put in a movie and let him suck and sleep there ... but i only have one so I had the time and energy for once a day like that.
:hugs: Try your finger too if you have the time to be able to sit like that with him. My mom made little elastic bands that she put over his ears to try to help hond his paci in for him .... it didn't work that great but it was worth the try at that point.
The good news in now at 8 months he doesn't suck on his fingers or a paci or me :yay: I guess he outgrew it. Good luck

Leininger27 09-05-2006 01:23 PM

How do I get me some of those sweeties???? lol :giggle:

He is starting to find his hands, but he gets frustrated when he can't quite get it in his mouth how he wants. Maybe he will become a thumb sucker! Who know, but my boobs can't handle anymore and I hate to hear him cry!!! :(

halyled 09-05-2006 01:45 PM

Have you tried a different pacifier? I wouldn't spend a fortune or anything, but maybe he would like a different type than whatever you are using.

Something else I've found helpful...babies will automatically start sucking if something touches the roof of their mouth, which a pacifier won't necessarily do. Try taking your pinky and touch the roof of his mouth, then when he starts to clamp down to suck, switch it with the pacifier instead (sometimes I even try this when DS is too upset to latch on to the breast, and it usually works).

And you may not want to hear this, but...sometimes just a change of mindset is helpful. Babies were designed to want to suckle at the breast. When DS was newborn, I just kind of gave in and went with the flow a lot of the time when he wanted to suckle after he was done actively nursing. He would usually unlatch after 15 minutes or so, when the need was satisfied. Now that he's older (7 months, and for some time before this) it's all I can do to KEEP him latched on long enough to eat sometimes, because he's so interested in everything else going on around him!

cicily 09-05-2006 01:59 PM

Have you tried the 6+ month size pacifiers? My son, even from the beginning would only take the 6+ month sized nipples and he's been using the silicone MAM pacifiers. Hope you find something that works :goodvibes: