Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   Parenting Talk (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=12)
-   -   4 mo old DS won't sleep? Nightmares? Teething? (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=38308)

mom2fussy 09-05-2006 02:48 PM

4 mo old DS won't sleep? Nightmares? Teething?

This is the third day in a row where he hasn't slept much during the day & he's been sleeping badly at night.

Sunday & Monday both, he only slept a total of <2 hrs (2 naps that didn't last an hour) during the 13 - 14 hours that he was awake. Today he's only slept 50 mins. so far. And at night, he's been waking up every 2-3 hours for the last 2 nights. (I'm becoming sleep deprived, waking every 2 hours! :( )

For the past couple of months he's been a GREAT sleeper - 10 hours total at night, usually waking once around 5:30 or 6 AM, and 2 naps during the day (3 when he was younger), usually totalling 3.5-4 hrs.

I know sleep patterns change with time, but these last few days it just doesn't seem like he's getting enough sleep.... I "forced" him to have the second nap yesterday. It took me 45 minutes to get him to fall asleep, even though it was obvious that he was exhausted. :banghead: And he's been SOOO cranky....

At the end of the second nap yesterday, he woke up **SCREAMING** like he was in agony or terrified or something. I've *never* heard anything remotely like it from him. I RUSHED in. He was physically OK but he (understandably) wouldn't go back to sleep after that. This morning's nap had a similar end... I was in the next room and he suddenly started crying very loudly. Not the same horrible screams as yesterday, but not your normal "I just woke up" cries either. Is he having nightmares?????

And to add to the mix: he's teething right now, which I know can disrupt sleep patterns... Both baby tylenol & Hyland's seem to have absolutely NO affect on him, although the tylenol worked great in the past.... :headscratch:

njschultz7 09-05-2006 08:05 PM

Re: 4 mo old DS won't sleep? Nightmares? Teething?

:hugs:

I don't have any advise but wanted to let you know I'm right there with you. Lindsey is 4 1/2 months and was sleeping really well and now for the past week it's horrible.

She doesn't nap but for like 20 min. during the day. Wakes up crying. Fussys all day and is generally unhappy. At night she won't sleep unless latched on. And even then she still wakes through out the night. I'm runnin on empty here.

Hopefully this is just a phase and will pass soon. Just know you aren't alone.:hugs:

sunshinebabies3 09-05-2006 11:13 PM

you might also watch to see if he pulls his ears. an ear infection hurts like crazy. also--try liquid orajel and see if baby will chew on a wet washcloth or frozen paci (if you use them). :goodvibes:

worldwarcaitlin 09-06-2006 10:35 AM

I had the same problem when DS was around that age (he is now 6 months) and I just though I'd let you know there is a light at the end of the tunnel. It went on for him for a few weeks but he made it through it. Honestly? I don't know what it was. I just assumed it was teething. He'd wake up in the middle of the night howling in this horrible, piercing cry and I felt sooo bad. I couldn't figure out what was going on. All I can say is just make sure that you are napping when he is now so you don't get too cranky as well, and if there is anyone who can help you (even for brief spurts) take advantage of it! :hugs: I hope things get better soon.

mom2fussy 09-06-2006 10:37 AM

Thanks, ladies. Last night he slept *12 HOURS*, and only woke up once during that time. I think the sleep deprivation finally hit him! I'm a much-better-rested and happy mama!! Hopefully he'll be a happier baby today too!