Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   Parenting Talk (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=12)
-   -   tell me about your convertible car seat (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=3836)

titania 05-05-2006 08:06 PM

tell me about your convertible car seat

we're going to be shopping for convertible seats pretty soon and don't really know what features to look for. what seat do you have and what do you love/hate about it? thanks ladies!

smapple 05-05-2006 08:28 PM

Re: tell me about your convertible car seat

We used the Evenflo Titan for our first DS, but we were never very happy with it. He always looked uncomfortable, and he outgrew it quickly. When he got too big for it (at 20 months), we bought the Cosco Summit High Back Booster since we did not need a convertible seat any more. We LOVE it, so when it came time for DS to get a convertible car seat, we looked at Cosco. We got the Alpha Omega Elite. It is LATCH equipped for rear-facing 5-35 lbs, forward-facing 20-40 lbs Belt-positioning booster 30-100 lbs

We LOVE it too and we will not have to buy our boys any more car seats! Both of our boys are very comfortable in their car seats and fall asleep in the car without any trouble. (We have relatives 6 and 12 hours away, so we take some long drives!)

Anyway, I would really encourage you to look at Cosco's web site
(http://www.coscojuvenile.com) and look at the options. They are great!

vick 05-05-2006 08:37 PM

We have a Britax Boulevard and LOVE it. It's the one the car seat techs recommend and it has great safety features. DD looks way more comfy in it, and never complains about car travel like she did in her bucket.

Reasons we love it:
Side impact protection
Infinitely adjustable shoulder harness positions
Rear-facing to 33 lbs, forward-facing to 65 lbs
Super cushy seat is comfy and safer

I haven't found a thing I dislike about the seat. If we ever need a second one, we'll definitely get another Boulevard.

Drummer's Wife 05-05-2006 09:17 PM

We have a Britax Marathon and I :loveit: it much more than any of the other 10 carseats I've owned over the years lol

But if I had to buy another one I'd opt for the Boulevard or Decathalon. They just weren't available at the time.

I think it's important to buy one that is easy to use, fits well in your vehicle, is comfy for your child, and has high rear facing as well as forward facing limits. The seats I mentioned allow 33 lbs rear-facing and 65 lbs forward facing.

You can go to your local babies r us and try out different seats with your baby and in your car. Even if you plan to order one online, you can still do this beforehand.

greenkmt 05-05-2006 09:30 PM

I have a Britax too and I LOVE IT. It is a lot of money to spend... I had to put mine on layaway but well worth it. 65 lbs restrained in a car seat is so awesome. They also have very good resale value. :)

1boy1girl1bitty2 05-05-2006 09:58 PM

i had a hand me down no name car seat it was boxy and looked extremely uncomfortable!! thank god we never went on any long trips. (i had almost nothing for income so couldn't afford trips of any kind. also why i wasn't choosy about the car seat i was given) this time around i wanted something that would be comfortable. i just ordered the eddie bauer 3 in 1 car seat from sears. it's got a 5 point harness, 3 point adjustable shoulder straps, arm rests that can fold up or be removed(for the chunkier todlers) it's rear facing for 5-35 lbs, forward facing for 20-65 lbs and booster for up to 85 lbs. it has alot of soft padding in the sides and under and beside babe, it also has three recline positions!! that was the selling feature for us!! it also came in four colour scemes. good luck finding the perfect one for you little one.

mom_of_3g_1b 05-05-2006 10:16 PM

I have the Eddie Bauer 3 in 1 car seat for DS. The straps are so hard to adjust and get twisted so easily. I like the look of it but that's about it. I ordered 3 Britax Marathon's for my DDs. They are the only ones available in Canada at the moment. I like all the features the Britax carseats offer. I also ordered the Britax Booster for DS instead of using the Eddie Bauer one.

Dsunny1 05-08-2006 08:22 PM

The Eddie bauer seats only harness to 40lbs in the united states, then it has to be used in booster mode.. I had to jump in to say that, I'm a car seat tech. The seats mentioned so far are all good seats. The britax seats will definately last you till your baby is ready for a booster seat. The Alpha omega, eddie bauer, and titan all have harness slots that are about 3 inches shorter then the Britax marathon/boulivard/decathalon. So, you will most likely have to buy another seat before your baby is ready for a booster (around 4-5 years old) as they are outgrown by height very quickly. Some people have no problem buying a convertible seat now (non-britax) and when it is outgrown in 2-3 years they buy a combination seat that becomes a booster. In the end, you spend the same amount as Britax, but the money is spread out. All seats pass the same tests to be able to be sold in the united states, Britax just does additional tests and has features that make us tech's feel they offer more protection.
The alpha omega looks like the harness heights are taller, but you can't use the tallest slot in harness mode, it is only for booster mode... So it is actually a very short seat. Racenzanesmom is also a tech on this board.. We are always happy to answer any car seat questions.
Eddited to add, my 28 mo son Jaden is rearfacing in his Britax Marathon. He is 27 lbs and 33 3/4 inches. He is getting very close to outgrowing his other seat and Evenflo Triumph, but is doing ok height wise in his babysitter's seat, a cosco scenara. He rearfaces in all these seats.

hollyhobby30 05-08-2006 11:49 PM

You will find this site very helpful....
http://www.car-seat.org/forumdisplay.php?f=2