Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   Parenting Talk (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=12)
-   -   Which cereal? (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=38460)

genny 09-05-2006 11:41 PM

Which cereal?

What kind of baby rice cereal do you use, and why? Is organic better? DH just sees that organic doesn't have as many vitamins. If you have any links to the pros/cons of organic/natural vs., say, Gerber--those would be great too! Thanks for your help!

pinkflamingos77 09-05-2006 11:45 PM

Re: Which cereal?

Quote:

Originally Posted by genny
What kind of baby rice cereal do you use, and why? Is organic better? DH just sees that organic doesn't have as many vitamins. If you have any links to the pros/cons of organic/natural vs., say, Gerber--those would be great too! Thanks for your help!

I buy walmart brand cereal. seems to work fine with my baby girl. I am not sure if there is a big difference between organic or regular. gerber has organic products now too. i think EVERYONE is coming out with organic versions of their products. We tried eating organic but could not afford it and i noticed no differences in our health or my kids. went back to regular food and eat healthy. I think it all comes down to personal preference. i know if you google you can come up with tons of articles on this. :2cents:

Lucky Child 09-06-2006 01:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pinkflamingos77
I buy walmart brand cereal. seems to work fine with my baby girl. I am not sure if there is a big difference between organic or regular. gerber has organic products now too. i think EVERYONE is coming out with organic versions of their products. We tried eating organic but could not afford it and i noticed no differences in our health or my kids. went back to regular food and eat healthy. I think it all comes down to personal preference. i know if you google you can come up with tons of articles on this. :2cents:

organic eating benefits you in the long run, I doubt in the short run you'd be able to tell the differences... although I agree with you, the jury is still out on organics in some instances and it may or may not be as great as we think it is...
That being said, I choose to eat organically... and I don't know specifically about the cereals :)

Severine 09-06-2006 07:22 AM

We didn't use rice cereal. It's just empty calories with very little, if any, nutritional value. We went straight to fruits and veggies, and at about 8 months of age we introduced *real* oatmeal that we jazz up with fresh blueberries or applesauce.

Zan 09-06-2006 07:36 AM

:popcorn:

I'm also starting to learn about baby cereals and was wondering the same thing.

Also which baby cereal - rice, barely, oats, etc did you start with and did you stay with that one or switch to a different one?

HMM, mushy cereal ....

tatumsmom 09-06-2006 07:55 AM

:popcorn: DD is 7 months..our ped. recomends cereal. :headscratch:

pinkflamingos77 09-06-2006 08:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rrandle
organic eating benefits you in the long run, I doubt in the short run you'd be able to tell the differences... although I agree with you, the jury is still out on organics in some instances and it may or may not be as great as we think it is...
That being said, I choose to eat organically... and I don't know specifically about the cereals :)

I totally understand what you are saying. we have been eating organic for a while now. a few yrs. Wether it benefits us now or later. We stopped because it is exspensive. I think as long as we eat healthy. that is the key to good health but then there are people who eat sausages and waffles every morning and junk food the res tof the time and live to be 112 and had no health problems at all. I do not think because a product is organic it is better. I think it all comes down to what you eat, how much you eat and most of all it comes down to your genes and your family medical history. there is so much more that plays into your health then what you eat. That's just my opinion. :thumbsup:

rpg_mommy 09-06-2006 08:40 AM

We started with rice, because our ped said to and I listened. :banghead: Next baby we won't do cereal at all because it really has very little nutritional value. Avacado will probably be our first baby food next time - incredibly nutritious, soft and mushy. :thumbsup:

worldwarcaitlin 09-06-2006 08:44 AM

I started Viktor out on avocado, then tried a couple other things (bananas&peaches) before ever using cereal. I bought a box of Earth's Best Oatmeal cereal only so that I could get a thicker consistency in his solids. I had read that it's just empty calories, etc. and decided against starting him on it.

The only reason I bought oatmeal was because at the store I bought it from, all the rice cereal boxes were damaged :headscratch:

I couldn't tell you about Gerber cereals because I don't buy anything Gerber for personal reasons.

rpg_mommy 09-06-2006 08:47 AM

If you really feel the need to do cereal, the cheeper, more nutritional way to go would be to just toss some rolled oats in the food processor, then add some BM.