Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   Parenting Talk (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=12)
-   -   Toddler/Booster seat? (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=38525)

upstategirl 09-06-2006 09:04 AM

Toddler/Booster seat?

We have a graco comfortsport carseat now but, Bruce is getting too big for it. His head is almost over the seat and the belt is getting very snug. I can't losen the belt anymore either. In winter it will be really tight. So, I need a new carseat. He's only going on two in Oct so I can't get a booster but, can get him a toddler/booster seat. Does anyone know of a good one but, cheap one.

momto2boysinOnt 09-06-2006 09:10 AM

Re: Toddler/Booster seat?

If you can afford it, I'd go for one of the Britax line. I have a Marathon because that's the only one approved for use in Canada, but I know there are lots of others available in the US. A Britax seat will keep your child harnessed much longer than other toddler carseats, and I love how easy to use mine is.

A much less expensive option is the Cosco Scenara. Both my DS's ride in Scenara's in my parents' vehicle. DS1 is 35 lbs and over 40 inches tall and he still has a bit of growth room in the harness of the Scenara. I believe they're available in the $50 range in the US. I've found that it fits well in several vehicles, including my father's Subaru, which has had trouble with other carseats.

HTH

MamaMegan 09-06-2006 09:12 AM

On the lower end price wise I'd go with the Graco Cargo-- harness to 40 lbs, harness heights are 17 inches (the top harness slot on the Comfort Sport is 14.5 I think?) so you'd have room to grow. The Marathon would also fit him but it's double the price.

kimb96 09-06-2006 10:02 AM

I think Britax are well worth the money. You will not have to buy another seat. I believe they are the only ones that keep a child harnessed until 65 lbs.

Mom2Taylor 09-06-2006 12:54 PM

I'm not familiar with the size of the comfort sport, but the first convertable car seat we had was the Evenflo Triumph 5. It's safety ratings are right up there with the Britax seats and it's super easy to use. I think it goes up to 40 lbs. I'd take him to BRU and "try it on". This seat is around $120ish...at least when we got it for DD #1, it was. Much cheaper than the Britax.

With that said, we got a Britax when dd #2 was born. Right now the baby is still in a infant car seat, but we will likely be putting her in the Evenflo in a week or two (she's a big fatty :) ) and our toddler is in the Britax. It was more expensive, but it will hold her up to 65 lbs, so we probably won't have to buy another seat for her. We'll see. With that said, the ONLY reason we got a Britax instead of another Evenflo is because we had a store credit at a place that only carried Britax car seats----free Britax of pay for an Evenflo...it wasn't a hard choice. :)

Menfusse 09-06-2006 03:52 PM

The Evenflo Chase and Graco comfort sport would be the best if you are limited in funds. They have the tallest top slots available on a 40lbs harness limit seats, then they make a decent booster. Britax are great, but they are pricey. All seats in the US have to pass the same saftey standards, so don't feel like you are not keeping him safe if you can't get a britax. The best seat is the seat that fits your budget, fits your child, and fits your car and the one you can and will use correctly every time. I would reccomend going to a babie r us or somewhere that will let you take the seats out to your car to put them in. Good luck finding the right seat for you!

orangemnms 09-06-2006 05:18 PM

If you cant afford a Britax, I would definately check into one of these: Fisher Price Safe Voyage. They are new on the market by Fisher Price, but are either made by or have the same shell as (or something very similar) to the Britax Marathon. The upper weight limit is 55 lbs, and its really so important to keep these bigger kids harnessed longer! The Safe Voyage retails for 79.99 and are in stock now at BRU. I think thats really reasonable for the extra weight you get from the harness. For reference, my oldest is 5.5 and weighs 41.5 lbs LOL! All three of my kids are in Wizards and we LOVE the way they fit! :thumbsup:

HTH!

ETA: According to the link I gave, duh, "Manufactured under license to Britax Childcare Limited."

Drummer's Wife 09-06-2006 05:54 PM

I'd either get a Britax Regent that will keep him harnessed until 80 lbs or the Apex 65 which will keep him harnessed until 65 lbs. I have the Apex for my 5 1/2 yr old (45 lbs and 44 inches I believe) and she still has plenty of room to grow. The apex is about half the price of the Britax. There really isn't too many options out there for bigger kiddos. I think the radian is another one and of course the other Britax seats, marathon, boulevard and decathalon would all work well.

Dsunny1 09-06-2006 07:40 PM

I agree with the evenflo chase or Graco Cargo (as you already have the comfortsport). This site shows you the top harness heights on each of the harnessed boosters, (and for most U.S. seats actually).
http://www.carseatdata.org/csnumbers.html

The comfortsport has really low harness slots (I helieve the lowest of them all) and unfortunately I don't know of many children that are able to stay in it until the are anywhere near ready for a booster.
The cosco apex is another one you could consider as it goes to a highter weight and height and isn't as much as the Britax. It requires you have headrests behind the head of the restraint though, so It won't work if you lack headrests.

upstategirl 09-07-2006 09:57 AM

Thanks everyone! :) I think I'm going to go with the graco cargo