Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   Pregnancy (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=13)
-   -   Pap Smear testing... (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=387278)

ACSNMama 04-06-2008 08:15 PM

Pap Smear testing...

I have heard so many different things. I do plan on asking my OB at my next visit BUT does the routine pregnancy Pap Smear test for STD's and whatnot?? Or do you have to ask them to? I already had the pap but never asked the Dr. details.

I've also heard that when they draw blood, they test of diseases, (HIV etc..) is that normally routine as well, or do you have to ask??

When pregnant with DS they never asked, they just did the pap the first visit, and a visit or two later they drew blood, never knew what it was for though...

Just wondering if these are all routine. I would like to be checked for STD's to verify being in the clear since I haven't been checked in a long time, I didn't think to ask any of this when pregnant with DS. I have overwhelming fears of diseases/cancer of any sort, I think it's because cancer has been running through the family, I always want to be sure I'm healthy!

altuttle 04-06-2008 08:24 PM

Re: Pap Smear testing...

I know that the paps my dr does tests for std as well as to check for any sort of abnormal cells. As for the blood test this is what I found online about it: She will probably draw your blood at your first visit for a blood panel, which includes typing your blood (to determine RH factor), testing for HIV, and checking your iron levels to ensure you are not anemic. Hope that helps.

mcpforever 04-06-2008 08:49 PM

With all of my pgs, even the 2 I m/c, my OB didn't even worry about a pap because all of mine had been done within 6 months of the first pg visit. If I had been due for an annual, I'm sure it would have been done while pg. A regular pap tests for abnormal cells. I did have to request STD testing after my catching my (now ex) husband snuggling with an ex girlfriend at toysrus.
During the first OB visit for each pg, I had several vials of blood drawn for the routine STD screenings, blood type(as though that could change between my 5 pgs!), RH factor, iron count, etc.

S Starr 04-06-2008 10:49 PM

They never asked me, and I think the STDs were included.

amberlina 04-06-2008 11:21 PM

i had a pap done ( it was almost time for my annual anyway) and blood work for disease (stds, cystic fibrosis, etc) and they explained it is perfectly routine and if you carry your lab with you (paperwork) to the place you get it done (for me outpatient at hospital) it says on the form how they want it processed and it will usually say all the things they are testing for (all major stds) and how they want it returned to them (phone call/fax...) and there is also a box where the Dr will mark "routine" or whatnot.

L2S2C 04-07-2008 01:28 AM

I know they can't test you for aids/hiv unless you sign a waiver, at least here in California.