Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   Parenting Talk (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=12)
-   -   What do you feed your baby besides formula or breastmilk? (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=38811)

pinkflamingos77 09-06-2006 09:02 PM

What do you feed your baby besides formula or breastmilk?

My daughter is 6 months. she puts all kinds of things in her mouth. she is constantly chewing on everything. she eats cereal and baby food. I did the same with my boys. I did not do regular table/finger foods until 8-9 months but i am kinda thinking my baby girl might be ready for something more then baby food and cereal. any suggestions?

Thanks! :mrgreen:

tatumsmom 09-06-2006 09:10 PM

Re: What doy uo feed your baby besides formula or breastmilk?

We bought these little sacks from target...DD eats apples, avocado, & whatever other veggies or fruit we eat. They are great. DC can feed themselves. Sometimes I let her chomp on a big carrot. She loves it if they are super cold!

mommyish 09-06-2006 09:25 PM

Re: What do you feed your baby besides formula or breastmilk?

I didn't feed mine regular food until they could pick up little pieces on their own. And at that point just about whatever we ate. But they usually loved little pieces of bannana, baked sweet potato, avacado, watermelon, cooked carrot, cooked apple.
Those mesh feeders are great too! Awesome with a nice chunk of frozen fruit!

JustAugust 09-06-2006 11:48 PM

Rice cereal is it here. DS is 5 months old. We just started rice cereal 3 weeks ago. I wanted to wait longer, but he was SOOOO ready. And the doctors had been telling me to give it to him since he was 3 weeks old. So I held off for 4 months. (He has reflux) He does so much better with it, actually helps him stay full for a while. With the bottles, he just pukes everything up, poor kid.

Julesmom23girls 09-07-2006 08:21 AM

Try grinding up some of the softer foods that you eat at dinner. Mac n cheese or other pasta (watch the tomato sauce though), pototoes, cooked veggies, soft fruits like banana or peaches (or canned fruit, except citrus). Basically anything you can mash with a fork pretty easy. At 6 mo I would say your child isn't ready for a raw carrot to chew on, but cooked carrots are good. If you don't have a grinder or food chopper you can get a little one for about 10 bucks, they hold about a cup of food and will be plenty big for you little one, or you can just mash and chop the food with a fork. I also used to make dry toast sticks to give her. Just toast the bread, slice into sticks (about4 per slice) and let it sit a little to get really dry. Then let her chew on that

My Dd lost interest in pureed baby food very early too, they all have their own way. Have fun.

negrapy 09-07-2006 08:36 AM

pretty much anything he wants that isn't highly allergenic.

google Dr. Jack Newman and solid foods .... We followed his plan and so far so good. However our son can't stand applesauce. He used a dish towel to wipe his mouth out with

halyled 09-08-2006 04:22 PM

DS just turned 7 months. So far we've tried mashed up ripe fruit (peaches, bananas) or mashed up cooked vegetables (green beans, sweet potato, carrots). I've also attempted home-made baby cereal by pureeing cooked brown rice with some breastmilk, and grinding up some oatmeal very fine in the blender and then cooking it with water and adding some breastmilk. DS has also tried several kinds of crackers (they keep him busy at restaurants), including club, saltine and graham. He hasn't been interested in anything that was pureed to the point that it was textureless, so I haven't bothered with commercial babyfood.

I've also offered him slices of ripe peach. Trouble is, he can bite through it with his gums and sometimes gets a larger piece than he can chew. I offered some small bits of banana, but he couldn't quite pick them up yet. You might try the old standby...Cheerios. The crackers work pretty well. They pretty much melt away, though I will give him a few sips of water, too, to help wash them down.

Kelolsen-and-Padawan 09-09-2006 04:27 PM

I have the Super Baby Food book and we love that! Ethan is 8 months and I make him the "Super Porridge" for breakfast every day. Its a porridge I make myself from either brown rice or rolled oats. I then add a Vitamin C source and a Vitamin A source. Usually its sweet potato and kiwi. I also add some tofu. Sounds gross, tastes good. He eats yobaby yogurt, cottage cheese w/ fruit. He loves it when I bake a potato and mix it w/ brocoli. I have a Magic Bullet blender and its so easy to use and clean. Sometimes I put chicken w/ the baked potato and broccoli. He loves orange slices in the mesh feeder, as well as banans. I do alot of fruits that I cut into little pieces and feed him. He gets an egg yolk a few times per week (as per Super Baby Food instructions). he's a good eater so far and he really likes fresh food so much more than the jarred stuff I used to use. I use jars when we go out, but he definitely prefers the fresh. I started solids at six months.