Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   Parenting Talk (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=12)
-   -   Need suggestions . . . (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=38819)

twinsmomkatie 09-06-2006 09:11 PM

Need suggestions . . .

(Gentle) Disclaimer: I'm not really asking for opinions on WHAT I should do, but more on HOW to do what I want to do. :)

DS goes to sleep in his crib the same time the girls go down (between 8 and 9 pm), but he is up again around 2 or 3 am wanting to nurse and get in bed with me. I have always let him do this, but it is starting to become a problem.

He is a big boy (23 lbs. at 10 months), and I do not think he needs to nurse for nutritional reasons - more just out of habit, and he likes being snuggled up to me.

I need to get him to sleep all night in his crib - is there an option to letting him cry it out? I can't handle that, especially at 2-3 in the morning.

TIA!

mom2zephyr 09-06-2006 09:16 PM

Re: Need suggestions . . .

Maybe have DH give him a bottle. If it's to be close to you maybe he'll decide it's no fun getting up just to get a bottle from dad.
I never had this issue so it really may be a far off suggestion! :goodvibes:

urchin_grey 09-06-2006 09:58 PM

Sorry, I've never really had this problem either! .... but maybe gradually cut down the time that you let him nurse?

That's the only thing I can think of other than CIO, and I know that's no fun. :yuck:

camdensmommy 09-06-2006 10:38 PM

You can try using Jay Gordon's method for night weaning. It worked for us. I need to add my disclaimer and say it is not recommended for children under 12 months. :) I did this w my daughter at 16 months and within two weeks she was sleeping through.

Basically they cry but you are with them the whole time. At first you hold them, rock them, sing to them - whatever it takes until they fall asleep and gradually you lower down the activity until you are patting their back or just reassuring them with your voice and then finally they stop waking up. It was still hard to listen to her cry out of anger but I had the peace of mind of knowing that I was with her, that she wasn't abandoned and that she wasn't hurt in any way - just really p*ssed off.

You can read about the method here:

http://www.drjaygordon.com/development/ap/sleep.asp

Let me know if you have any questions.

trishmom2five 09-07-2006 08:10 AM

Have you tried offering a little water? And then laying him back down. If it's not for nutrition maybe he's just thirsty. My 18 mth sometimes needs a drink in the night, especially if it's dry in the house.
GL

escapethevillage 09-07-2006 08:42 AM

My daughter took a pacifier, and that worked perfectly for us. (til I had to pay for braces)

If she was sick, I would bring her to bed with me. But, if she was just awake, so she saw no reason I shouldn't be awake with her, I would just pat her bum. I turned n a soft music tape, and patted her bum (kinda rough at first, then slower until I thought she was asleep).

But, she didn't wake up very often, so I am not sure what I would do if this was her routine. I couldn't do the cry it out thing either.

Perhaps you could get him up (if butt patting didn't work) but not offer to nurse him and rock him instead. Then put him back in his own bed.

I would avoid bringing him to your bed anymore, just to break that cycle.

Jillybean 09-07-2006 08:47 AM

When I night weaned my older kids I gave them a sippy of water instead and they transitioned gradually without any trouble or crying, within a couple of weeks they were going down with the cup sitting by them in the crib and no longer waking since there wasn't the option to nurse anymore. This worked well with all 3 of my older kids, but I didn't even start until after their first b-day. hth