Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   Breastfeeding Support (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=14)
-   -   Thrush Support and Questions (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=3895)

Raquelita 05-06-2006 09:29 AM

Thrush Support and Questions

So i've developed thrush and am currently on Diflucan to treat it. But this is day 5 and i've seen no improvement-in fact, the morning nursing has gotten progressively more and more uncomfortable. DS is also being treated (he's 6 weeks old) with Diflucan. He never had patches in his mouth, but does have a yeast diaper rash that did not respond to Lotrimin treatment.

But here's the weird thing--i only have thrush symptoms with the first morning feeding (that's when i feel shooting discomfort inside my breasts--not super painful, but uncomfortable), but the rest of the day i'm fine and just have mild pains here and there.

I have been applying Grapefruit Seed Extract diluted in distilled water to my nipples after each feeding during the day, so i'm wondering if that's why my symptoms go away during the day but return through the night (when i'm too tired to apply after nursing).

I'm going to see DS's dr. early next week to see if there's something else I should be doing to treat this.

Does anyone have any advice or been through thrush before? What treatment worked for you? I'm thinking Gentian violet might be in our future...

keegans_mommy 05-06-2006 09:47 AM

Re: Thrush Support and Questions

In addition to putting it on your skin, take it internally so it works systematically. Thrush runs the course of your body and you may need larger, stronger doses than what you are doing now.

It tastes nasty so put about 10-15 drops of it into an empty gel capsule and take it 2-3 times a day. :)

Raquelita 05-06-2006 10:01 AM

Thanks! I will do that!

I've been putting 35 drops into the fabric softener dispenser in our front loader for all our wash cycles, as well as a downy ball full of vinegar, to try and kill it in our clothing. And i'm washing diapers in hot with the above (like always) as well as 'contaminated' clothing like towels, burp clothes, bras, etc...

I just hope we can beat this and not have it get any worse.

keegans_mommy 05-06-2006 10:26 AM

Oh believe me, I hate thrush too and am just getting over it myself. :)

Good luck with it! :hugs:

ajfowle 05-15-2006 09:31 AM

Ugh! The thrush monster. I had it, too, and ended up on a 31 day regimine of Diflucan. I also did gentian violet once a day for three days and saw some improvement.

For pain relief, I found that the heating pad helped. My pain was horrid during the middle of the night feedings, so I'd just keep the heating pad next to the bed.

tatumsmom 05-15-2006 03:17 PM

In addition to the grape seed extract you can also get some good bacteria in your system with some yogurt or if you dont like the dairy try acidofilous powder. You may also treat your baby with the infant form, I use a BabyLife Bifidobacteria Infantis powder. You must keep refrigerated! I just put a little on my finger and my dd sucks it off. This is great to use if baby is on antibiotics. Another alternative is to treat your nipples. A lactation consultants gave me a recipe for a nipple ointment, which I gave to my OBGYN to fill. The Pharmacy has to mix multiple ingredients, one of which is Nystatin, so make sure your pharmacy has this capability. This ointment is great, it worked for us after trying 2 rounds of Nystatin, Gentian Violet, vinegar, etc.!! Good Luck!

For The Love Of Cloth 05-16-2006 08:55 AM

A couple Q's for you pros on this:

Does the gentian violet taste bad to baby?

I read on the bottle that it can tattoo deep sores and my ds is cutting his molars, would this tattoo his gums?

Is it really safe for baby?

TY!

Tabitha

Ashley 05-16-2006 10:58 AM

I really understand your pain b/c I dealt with it for weeks after giving birth via C-section. It seems to be more common with C-section deliveries.
I agree with a previous poster about the compounded nipple cream. Ask your OB about it (I believe it was called Dr. Newman's Nipple Cream) and you have to get it from a pharmacy that compounds (mixes) their own formulas...not all pharmacies can make it.
The nipple cream looks kind of like Crisco shortening and worked great for me and b/c it contains Nystatin which is used to treat infants with thrush, it is safe for baby and for you.
My baby never had visible signs of thrush but we were both treated twice (me with Diflucan and him with Nystatin) and THEN I used the cream for about 7-10 days I think. I also soakedcotton balls in chilled plain white vinegar and applied to my nipples after Bfeeding. I washed my bras and his clothes in hot water for a week or so. GOOD LUCK TO YOU!

riandkymommy 05-17-2006 07:54 PM

A couple Q's for you pros on this:

Does the gentian violet taste bad to baby?
There is no taste to the baby!

I read on the bottle that it can tattoo deep sores and my ds is cutting his molars, would this tattoo his gums?
I would doubt it, but I don't know for sure

Is it really safe for baby?
Yup! I know quite a few people who have used it, and Dr Newman recommends it and he is awesome!!

Now what actually worked for us was internally taking grapefruit seed extract, but the pills! I had thrush with DS for what seemed like forever!!! We actually had it for about 3 or 4 months and nothing was working, until I met Dr Newman and emailed him and asked him his opinion and he told me about the grapefruit seed extract. It worked in less than a week and I know what you mean about the pain! It is awful! I have all of Dr Newmans articles saved on my computer because I loved his lecture that I went to when he came here. Just amazing!

For my cousin, it was the genetian violet that worked, but the nice thing about the grapefruit seed extract is that you can take it as a detterant after you get rid of thrush and it will stop it from coming back!

Good luck! I hope it goes away soon!:hugs:

Raquelita 05-18-2006 08:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by riandkymommy
Now what actually worked for us was internally taking grapefruit seed extract, but the pills!

I'm doing this now--and i have to second the Dr. Newman articles, they are *very* helpful. Are you taking capsules filled with liquid GSE or the tablets? I'm taking the tablets and i know they say they're just as effective as the liquid but i wondered what others' experiences were.

(And in spite of all that i'm doing, DS's yeast diaper rash has *still* not completely gone away after weeks of treatment, including him on a week of diflucan, vinegar+water spray after each diaper change, twice daily lotrimin cream (for almost a month now!), me taking acidopholus, diflucan, and GSE, and applying diluted GSE in distilled water right on it, washing all his diapers on HOT with GSE in the rinse cycle). It has vastly improved--but a little bit hangs around right on the inside of his bum no matter what :().

i'm wondering whether me putting plain yogurt on it would help it at all, or if i should consider applying woman's yeast infection treatment cream to it as well. I'll be calling his doctor again next week if it's still not gone...stupid 8 doses of antibiotics for Strep B we got during labor :yuck: .