Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   Parenting Talk (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=12)
-   -   How do I clean Sippy cup valves? (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=39020)

morganandevansmom 09-07-2006 12:49 PM

How do I clean Sippy cup valves?

Yuck I just looked at ds's sippy cup valves and they are disgusting. I have been putting them through the dishwasher but they are black (like mold) and some are kind of enclosed (evenflo ones) so do I get them clean? Can I boil them? Clean them with vinegar or a little bleach?

Thanks

Severine 09-07-2006 12:51 PM

Re: How do I clean Sippy cup valves?

I use the brushes for cleaning Dr. Browns bottles to get into all the little crevices on sippy cups.

Kylie&Logan'sMommy 09-07-2006 12:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Severine
I use the brushes for cleaning Dr. Browns bottles to get into all the little crevices on sippy cups.

:yeahthat:

dirtdartwife 09-07-2006 12:58 PM

I toss them in a cup of bleach and let them sit for a few minutes, scrape out anything remaining after sitting with a very small brush (I've also been known to use the tip of a paring knife because it's small enough to reach right into the really tight spots) then run it through hot water. The bleach kills the mold that permeates the plastic, not just growing on the external surface. HTH's!!

twinsmomkatie 09-07-2006 01:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dirtdartwife
I toss them in a cup of bleach and let them sit for a few minutes, scrape out anything remaining after sitting with a very small brush (I've also been known to use the tip of a paring knife because it's small enough to reach right into the really tight spots) then run it through hot water. The bleach kills the mold that permeates the plastic, not just growing on the external surface. HTH's!!

That's what we do, too!

strollernut 09-07-2006 01:02 PM

I used vinegar last time, but I'll try bleach next time.

annes_cottage 09-07-2006 05:21 PM

I also used bleach on mine! I was also washing mine in the dishwasher and was disgusted! Glad to know I am not the only one that has had that problem!! :goodvibes:

Julesmom23girls 09-07-2006 05:36 PM

I bleach mine as well and I use a toothpick to get into the crevices, never thought of using a knife.

Sweet_Fantasy_Fox 09-07-2006 06:01 PM

i havent tried bleach but i use hot soapy water and a toothpick,which works GREAT! i will try bleack next time to make sure all the yucky stuff is dead

GrowingUpMad 09-08-2006 05:04 AM

I am a bit anal and I rinse the cup immediatly after each sitting unless it is water than she is allowed to take sips here and there. We do juice with breakfast and rinse as soon as breakfast is over, milk with lunch and dinner again rinsing immediatly. Other than that it's water. I can honestly say mine are pretty darn clean. I do soak them in HOT water with a squirt of Dawn and use the nipple brush to clean them.