Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   Pregnancy (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=13)
-   -   Baby shower ideas (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=39172)

xamybethx 09-07-2006 07:52 PM

Baby shower ideas

My shower is in Oct so I've got awhile to plan still but my question is...my shower is from 11-2...lunchtime so I feel I need to have some food of substance there. Not just chips and dip. I called Subway to check on sandwich trays but they're $25 and serve 8-10 people (I'll have at least 15-20people so $50 JUST on that. Sorry I'm cheap lol). Walmart does trays but their sandwiches are that great (well I've never tried the tray), they also do like "wings", a meat tray and a veggies tray.

Anyone have any suggestions on food that makes a lot for a large group or any suggestions on what I should serve?

nellisfamily02 09-07-2006 08:19 PM

Re: Baby shower ideas

I am doing a shower for my sister in 2 weeks that will be at 11am. I thought about just serving deserts...yummy, but decided that probably wouldn't be the best idea. For a shower at 11 am, I think of light/brunchy foods...Here are a couple of my ideas...
What about a fruit salad, quiche (there are so many variations and pretty easy to make...you could do a quiche buffet), maybe some banana or zucchini breads, butter bit sandwiches (butter bit rolls filled with tuna or egg salad), blueberry pancakes....

That is just some ideas...hope that helped a little...

small_wonders_wipes 09-07-2006 08:31 PM

BBQ meatballs! :) You can usually get them bulk at stores like Sam's Club and GFS Marketplace- if you have those near you.... They are usually quite inexpensive, but tasty.

Little sandwiches are usually a good idea also....I always like the ones with croussants (sp?).

Hope that helps!! :)

sheandaru 09-07-2006 08:36 PM

Do a pickle tray!
Get all different kinds of pickles and then put an olive dish in the middle.
Yum!

Julesmom23girls 09-07-2006 10:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by small_wonders_wipes
BBQ meatballs! :) You can usually get them bulk at stores like Sam's Club and GFS Marketplace- if you have those near you.... They are usually quite inexpensive, but tasty.

Little sandwiches are usually a good idea also....I always like the ones with croussants (sp?).

Hope that helps!! :)

You can put a bunch of the meatballs in a crockpot to keep them hot. We also do Lil smokies in BBQ sauce, they are little cocktail sausages. Then you could do a cheese and cracker tray, a veggie tray, and a fruit tray. I like the pickle tray idea too, kind of goes w/ the whole pregnant/baby shower. LOL All this stuff you could easily DIY instead of paying too much for the premade trays, KWIM. I mean it would be extra work for you but if you had someone help with some of it. You could cut up veggies and cheese the day before and put them in ziplocks. Most of your fruit you will want to do the day of. But you can make dips up for the veggies and fruit the day before.

Oh if you have never made fruit dip here are a couple good ideas, vanilla yogurt is really good by itself, or you can mix 1 jar marshmallow fluff and 8oz cream cheese. Yummy.

annes_cottage 09-07-2006 10:53 PM

You guys are making me hungry!!! :hehe2:

I make a dessert that my kids call pink stuff. fat free by the way!

2 cans of cherry pie filling

1 1/2 tubs of cool whip

1 1/2 bags mini marshmallows

2 cans crushed pineapple (do not drain)

a BIG bowl

mix everything up in a big bowl and chill!! Serves MANY!!

I make half of this recipe for my family and for church dinners or picnics. But for showers I make this double batch!

Hope you have a great shower! :goodvibes:

xamybethx 09-08-2006 06:38 AM

Ooo yum those all sound wonderful!

I think I will do that then, compile a "menu" today and do little sandwiches and like cheese dip or spinach dip etc.

Thanks for the great recipes I'll definitely try them!!!

rpg_mommy 09-08-2006 08:24 AM

For my baby shower, my friend had all the food be baby size themed:

baby carrots
mini gerkins
mini marshmallows on squares of bread spread with peanut butter *drool*
mini cake squares
mini quiches (made it little pot pie pans instead of pie dishes so they were single serve size)
chicken wings (the little ones like you'd get at a wing resturant)
baby spinach salads
etc

Everything was so cute!

HTH!

Julesmom23girls 09-08-2006 09:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rpg_mommy
For my baby shower, my friend had all the food be baby size themed:

Everything was so cute!

HTH!

That is a cute Idea too!!!