Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   Diaper Chatter and Q & A (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=10)
-   -   how to wash wool (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=392)

widdlelou 04-19-2006 01:14 PM

how to wash wool

I would like to wash the two wool soakers taht I bought. If you all could give me a heads up as to what that would entail that would be great.:confused:

Dawn 04-23-2006 12:05 PM

Re: how to wash wool

me too me too! I just got 2 wool soakers (stacinators) from Ebay, but don't know how to wash them LOL I just knew they were good covers. THX

chunkymonkey'smomma 04-23-2006 12:11 PM

I use a wool wash bar....Copied this from Sudz n Dudz website

Organic Wool Wash Bar:

To wash your wool, run tepid water over the bar into your sink, washing machine, or wash-bucket. If you like bubbles (not necessary, but FUN!), rub the bar between your hands to create a lather. The water will appear milky and will have a film on the topÖthatís the lanolin. Soak, swirl, or swish your wool cover or soaker in the water and let it rest as long as you like. You may rub the bar GENTLY on any stains before washing. You may rinse the cover but it is not necessary. Rinsing in cooler water (but not cold) is best so you do not wash away the lanolin.

Store in a cool, dry place. (NOT in a Ziploc on top of your dryer!) I recommend using some sort of dish or rack that will allow air to circulate around the bar. When you use a bar of soap that is allowed to completely dry between uses, you prolong the life of the soap and eliminate waste. Do not leave the bar in the wash water to soak with the wool or allow it to be agitated in the washer.

FitMommyOf2 04-23-2006 01:31 PM

I think you can also just fill your sink w/luke warm water and add some baby shampoo. For lanolizing you can simply use a pea size of Lanolin (like Lanisoh) dissolve it in 1/2 c of hot boiling water (you can mix it in an empty baby jar), add it to the water, swish a little around and add your soaker(s).

HTH!

hollyhobby30 04-23-2006 10:36 PM

I just wanted to add....I love washing wool. So fun to use all those great smelling yummies!

kissum 04-23-2006 11:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by FitMommyOf2
I think you can also just fill your sink w/luke warm water and add some baby shampoo. For lanolizing you can simply use a pea size of Lanolin (like Lanisoh) dissolve it in 1/2 c of hot boiling water (you can mix it in an empty baby jar), add it to the water, swish a little around and add your soaker(s).

HTH!

A pea size huh? Uh-oh, I think I way over lanolized my 2 pull on covers :eek:

MamaJo 04-24-2006 12:02 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kissum
A pea size huh? Uh-oh, I think I way over lanolized my 2 pull on covers :eek:

lol at first I read that you over lanolized 2 PUL covers....I was going to say, uhhh, yeah :p

But I am guilty of using more than a pea size too - I get downright lanolin happy myself :D

bfoster2000 04-24-2006 07:33 AM

If it's colored wool, check out these instructions from the Stacinator website:

**Note** Dark colored wool will bleed.
*tip* For bleeding wool, mix 3 cups white vinegar with 3tbsp salt, wet wool in lukewarm water, add to vinegar/salt mixture. Microwave for two, 3minute sessions. Allow to COMPLETELY cool, rinse in lukewarm water, wash, re-lanolize. (if you rinse before allowing to completely cool, you may unintentionally felt your garment)

I only have a couple of pieces of wool but I've gotten in a habit of washing them in order from lightest to darkest because the color still bleeds just a little on the darkest one.

Also, a word to the wise, if you're going to use something like Lansinoh to lanolize your wool, make sure it is COMPLETELY dissolved. Add a drop of baby wash or baby shampoo to help it mix completely with the water. If you see any little globs or spots of lanolin floating around in the water, you're likely to wind up with said spots and globs on your covers. It won't hurt them, just not overly attractive! I've got some yellow spots on my beige cover and I keep washing with baby shampoo hoping they'll eventually wash out. They're getting lighter but still not completely gone. I'm just glad I was smart enough not to wash that one with the blue cover I have...that would have been bad news!

FitMommyOf2 04-24-2006 07:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MamaJo
lol at first I read that you over lanolized 2 PUL covers....I was going to say, uhhh, yeah :p

But I am guilty of using more than a pea size too - I get downright lanolin happy myself :D

LOL, well, I was just repeating what the most wool infos say. I probably also use a wee bit more myself. *giggle*