Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   Breastfeeding Support (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=14)
-   -   which pump is better? (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=393252)

krickison 04-12-2008 11:37 AM

which pump is better?

I am looking to buy a BP so when I go back to work I can continue to BF. I am looking at medela pumps and was going to buy a single electric, but after looking on the website it looks like the manual might be a better choice. I really would like the swing but it is to costly and they say you cant properly staralize it to buy a used one. So that leaves me deciding between the single electric or manual. I have thought about talking to DH and seeing how he feels about buying a PIS advanced on FSOT but I dont know if he is willing to put out that kind of money since I havent had much luck with pumping. I currently have a Ameda from the pharmacy that I am renting, and I am not geting much. I dont want to waste my money on somthing that isnt going to work. So if any of you have used any of these pumps or more than one of them, please let me know what you thought of them. Feel free to spam me. Thanks.

edemeritt 04-12-2008 12:07 PM

Re: which pump is better?

I work part time and have a fancy dual electric and a manual...I never use the electric one! I may be the only one out there, but I love my Medela manual pump!!

mommyofnoah 04-12-2008 01:19 PM

Is the one you are using now a double electric pump? I've heard that you get better results if you pump both at the same time. Mine is a double electric pump that is about 7 years old by medela that my sister got free from wic. wish I could afford one of the new medela double pumps too, but it works okay and I'm not going back to work or anything, so I just need it for after nursing sessions really.

proudmommaof4 04-12-2008 02:41 PM

I have a medela double select. I bought mine on Ebay and then sterilized it, bought new cups and tubeing and was good to go. I love it. However, I am hooked on my medela harmony manuel for bed cause with my youngest I would pump at night because he would only nurse on one side so to get that stock up in the freezer I would pump the other side.

KatieJD334 04-12-2008 06:16 PM

I definitely recommend a Medela PIS advanced, even used. It cuts down on pumping time (especially at work since you might not be able to take longer breaks). It is a little pricey but it isn't far off from other electric dual pumps. A manual may not be able to keep up with the demands of pumping at work and maintaining your supply so I definitely recommend an electric.

APmommy712 04-12-2008 07:18 PM

I pumped for six months while working and used the PIS. I can't say enough about how well it worked for me. I credit it for helping me work full time (while dd was 3-9 months) and still ebfing my daughter.

They can be expensive...have you looked into renting one from a pharmacy? We have a local pharmacy that rents them out by the month. Also, do you qualify for WIC? My WIC office gave me my brand new PIS for FREE!! Definitely check with them too if you can.

pbjmama 04-12-2008 07:21 PM

FYI, all non-hospital grade/rent-able pumps are meant to be single user pumps, including PIS, PISA, etc. Alot of moms have good luck with the manuals, especially if you are coordinated enough to use it when your LO is nursing on the other side. If you are not working especially long days and will be able to pump at the same times every day I think it is worth a try.

fuzzycakes 04-12-2008 07:32 PM

I have a PISA, and I love it. Start to finish 10-15 min (depends on how slow I am to wash my parts after I'm done). I've tried the manual pump that came with it, and dread to ever need to use it. I love the letdown feature of the electric. you just sit back for a little break and let the pump do all the work!

Sometimes insurance will cover all or most the cost of an electric pump if you need it due to "medical necessity". Some nice OB's will write you a script for it, reasoning, you bf your dc, and you have to go back to work, therefore, having a good electric pump is a medical necessity...

If stomaching the $200-300 pricetag is too much, you could try to calculate out how much formula you would be using while you were at work, to see if it would be worth it for one child. That's always an eye opener.

bgb699 04-12-2008 07:57 PM

I have a Medela double electric and an Avent Isis. The manual Avent is my favorite of the two. I actually get more milk in a shorter amount of time with the manual than with the electric.

krickison 04-12-2008 10:42 PM

Thanks everyone, I never thought to figure out the cost of formula while I am working. I am not sure it would be that much? I guess it would depend on if I could suplement. Does anyone know how much a 10 month old would go through? How many oz in a can..that sort of thing...I guess we are all BFers so it wouldnt surpise me if no one knew that...:giggle2: