Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   Breastfeeding Support (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=14)
-   -   Questions about thrush (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=393405)

RobertsMomma3 04-12-2008 03:11 PM

Questions about thrush

I believe I have thrush in one of my breasts. When feeding, I get a burning sensation through my breast and nipple. My nipple is swollen and the breast itself is very tender to the touch. I don't believe my son has it, the white stuff in his mouth is easily wiped off.

I have been reading a few websites and they haven't clarified my questions, some say one thing, others say another.

1.) Can you still breastfeed while you have thrush or do you have to supplement (I don't have any breast milk pumped)?

2.) My other breast seems to be fine, is it safe to feed him on that side? And if I can only feed him on the one side, will this affect my supply somehow?

3.) If you are still able to breastfeed while you have thrush, what helps with the pain? I've tried putting warm/hot wash cloth (and taking a warm/hot shower) and this did not help with the pain.

christinelynne 04-12-2008 04:02 PM

Re: Questions about thrush

You can still breastfeed, on both sides. The thing that will help the most is killing the excess yeast. You can talk to your doctor about what to try first - some will recommend an antifungal cream for you, and topical Nystatin for the baby. The key is, you must treat yourself and him, even if he doesn't show symptoms. Two weeks is the normal course for that kind of treatment, IIRC.

If you want to try something of shorter duration, but much messier, you can use gentian violet. Compounding pharmacies usually carry it.

I can't post links yet, but google "dr. jack newman gentian" to get to Dr. Jack Newman's GV instructions. His site also has great information on other treatments.

Also make sure you're washing your bras/pads in HOT water, preferably sunning them too (and your nipples, if you have a spot you can do it without being arrested!), and you need to boil pacis, bottle nipples, pump parts, and so on to kill the yeast regularly so you don't reinfect yourselves. Also avoid reusing towels after bathing.

I liked the GV option because it's faster. For the pain, IIRC, I took Tylenol and used cold compresses.

Thrush stinks, hang in there!

KatieJD334 04-12-2008 04:57 PM

Everything she said.

Here's the link for the Dr. Jack Newman Protocol, I've used it with success:

http://www.kellymom.com/newman/c-candida_protocol.html

lydiamom 04-12-2008 05:04 PM

I am the queen of thrush--had it for 6 months with dd1 and have it now with dd2. It really sucks! You can definitely still breastfeed--no need to supplement! I agree with pp that you need to both be treated even if your LO is not showing symptoms. I seem to be quite resistent to a lot of the treatments so I end up needing a scrip for oral diflucan, but they usually recommend other treatments first, like Nystatin or Gentian Violet (watch out--VERY messy!).

Some other things you can try: Grapefruit seed extract on your nipples; or rinsing your nipples in a solution of vinegar and water after feeding. I wear nursing pads all day and change them at every feeding so that my bras can last a little longer. Let your breasts air out as much as possible. Also after each feeding express some breastmilk and rub it all around your nipple and let it air dry--this is pretty soothing and also helps heal them. And definitely start taking probiotics--acidophilus is the most commonly available. Or you can eat a lot of yogurt. HTH

JackieLyn 04-12-2008 05:11 PM

Hum...maybe you have a clogged duct? I mean it could be thrush, my nipples were red and let down would burn when we had thrush, I noticed in the baby's mouth first though. We used gentian violet and never had any issues since, like pp said it's VERY messy!
I