Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   Breastfeeding Support (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=14)
-   -   More support please... (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=393410)

Irishmommy 04-12-2008 03:16 PM

More support please...

I know I have posted just about every week the last few. It just ISN'T getting better for us with nursing. Every time I think that it is getting better, ds forgets how to do it again, and I'm back to blisters on my blisters. I am in so much pain, I just don't know how much more I can take. To get caught up (tongue tied, clipped the tongue, ds can't get his tongue out and mouth open at the same time, forgets how to nurse at least one night a week and can't latch on). I was at a get together on Thursday night and one mamma said she thought his arch in his mouth was really high, and I'm thinking, "GREAT, now how do I fix that?!!!" I'm just wondering how bad it would really be to exclusively pump. I know I wouldn't do that for as long as I nursed my other two (18 months, and 26 months), but I just don't know how I can handle the pain much longer. PLEASE tell me that this is going to get better and that I can just nurse through the pain until then!!!:banghead: :banghead: :banghead: :banghead: :banghead:

jjaelovesenglish 04-12-2008 03:18 PM

Re: More support please...

I would go see a LC and they can help both of you how to get him to latch right and teach you how to relatch him as soon as the latch is wrong. I know all about the blisters and they hurt.

krickison 04-12-2008 03:53 PM

oh mama, my nipples hurt just thinking about this. I dont really know what to tell you. My DD didnt nurse very well the first few months, I found that switching possitions sometimes helped to relive some of the pain. What hold are you using? I started with the football hold and my midwife got me to change to the cradle and it helped a lot. You could try sitting him up to eat, it would put the pressure on a differant part of your nipple, or laying down. Have you tried to train his tounge? If I remember correctly with DD I had to put my finger in her mouth with the nail bed on her tounge, and when she started to suck I had to turn my finger upside down and push down on her tounge lightly. I also found that her latch got much better after I gave her a soother. I gave her one that looked like a finger, its a gerber something. I really hope this helps, I havent read your other posts so maybe you have tried all of these things. Good Luck mama, and pumping wouldnt be bad at all, just a lot more work. You could always try to re-introduce the breast after he is used to sucking and you have healed a bit...oh ya, one last thing, my nipples got better when i Quit using Lansinoh, so if your using lanoline try giving it up for a day and see. It didnt take long for me, maybe 2 feedings and I felt better.

lotemp 04-12-2008 03:54 PM

I'm so sorry mama. LLL might be able to help you too. There are some very knowledgeable mamas there and you don't have to be a member to get help.

heathersmoker 04-12-2008 04:10 PM

Have you tried a nipple shield? This really helped me out with number 4. I did exclusively pump for my second for about 6 months. Make sure you have a good pump if you do that. I did'nt. Now I do! So much better! I hope it works out for you!

Irishmommy 04-12-2008 04:21 PM

The LC has been out 4-5 times and we've talked by phone 3-4 and quite frankly, she's baffled by him too. She's given me exercises to do with him (like the one described above), that haven't helped really at all. I called the LLL leader and she sent me some helpful info, but none of it really helped either. I just feel like I keep getting some really good info, but it just isn't getting better.:cry: I bought more bottles today just in case I have to go to all bottle feeding. I feel so defeated. I can't believe that on my last baby I'm having such problems. The other two weren't easy peasy, but NOTHING like this. I just wish I could see the light at the end of the tunnel you know. I feel like if I KNEW it was going to get better, then I could make it, just right now, I'm not seeing it getting better and that makes me want to quit.

KatieJD334 04-12-2008 04:53 PM

I think this is a situation that will improve over time as he learns to nurse effectively. He really is still a new baby. I wouldn't take away the breast entirely if you are going to try bottles. I would suggest the Haberman: http://www.medelabreastfeedingus.com...lneeds-feeders
Its not exactly like a bottle, but you can definitely teach a baby to improve their latch with it. I know a few moms who have been successful with it. Can you get in contact with another LC?

JackieLyn 04-12-2008 05:06 PM

:hugs: :hugs: :hugs: I wish i had words of wisdom, but it sounds like you've exhausted a lot of them already! Good luck :hugs:

lydiamom 04-12-2008 05:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by heathersmoker (Post 3301358)
Have you tried a nipple shield? This really helped me out with number 4. I did exclusively pump for my second for about 6 months. Make sure you have a good pump if you do that. I did'nt. Now I do! So much better! I hope it works out for you!

I was going to suggest a nipple shield too. I know they aren't ideal, but I would definitely do it as a last resort, and it would be a lot easier than pumping exclusively. I've had a lot of nipple pain with my new baby and one day I just couldn't take it anymore so I bought a nipple shield. I only used it a few times but it was enough of a break to let my nipples heal a bit and made the next time nursing without it a little more bearable.

The other thing I was going to say, which you may not want to hear, is that sometimes babies just need to grow out of it. They are learning too and get better with time. My good friend had horrible pain until her dd finally figured it all out around 4 months. She was on the verge of quitting the whole time but made it through and now they are still going strong at 15 months. She also used a nipple shield as a last resort, and only for short periods of time before returning to regular nursing.

Hang in there mama, :hugs: !!

remrath 04-12-2008 05:15 PM

:hugs: don't feel defeated. You are a very dedicated mommy and you should be proud of that :hugs: