Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   Breastfeeding Support (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=14)
-   -   Past Sippy Stage? (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=39360)

EmnJJsMom 09-08-2006 11:11 AM

Past Sippy Stage?

DD is 8 months old and has never had a sippy, I didn't really bother trying cause we didn't need it. Now I'm wishing I could give her breastmilk in the sippy once in a while and she totally rejects it. Did I wait too long? Is she out of the "open to try new things" stage? Any tips? I won't do nubies, they are too bottle like and she refuses a bottle anyways.

tillers72 09-08-2006 11:18 AM

Re: Past Sippy Stage?

In my experience, if you introduce it TOO EARLY they reject it. I would give my ds's sippy cups starting at about 8 mos, and once a week until they tried to actually use it. DS1 took a little longer to get a grasp on the idea, but DS2 is only 10 mos, and uses it exclusively now! (we quit bfing when he was 6 mos). It will depend, but I really like the soft-mouth ones...like from Gerber. Those are the ones he likes best...and they can knaw on them a bit too! And he loves the handles. At first, of course it comes out too fast for them, so you have to do it with something with some body to it...ie. milk...and they get used to it. GL

EmnJJsMom 09-08-2006 11:22 AM

DD#1 took one easily at 6 months...so I guess that is just what I thought was the right time, but I didn't feel like it at 6 months so I waited. I have the gerber soft topped ones and a hard topped one. The "my first sippy"
Thanks, I'll just try again in a few weeks.

Kimmomy2dom 09-08-2006 11:33 AM

I tried them that early, I think, but my son didn't take to it. He was bottlefed at that point, though. So he wanted to have me "feed" it to him, KWIM? Have you tried that? Holding her cloe to your chest (or having someone else do it) and see if she'd do it? Maybe someone else, LOL, don't want her to be confused. My son didn't take one until later, though - she just might not be ready for it yet.
Did you try different ones? I guess just keep offering it until she wants it. She might just want to try an open cup when she's a little older, too.

wbkt8 09-08-2006 01:13 PM

We offered her a soft spouted Avent (blech) cup at about six months. She loved to chew on it but would never actually suck on it. She never used a sippy with any regularity until she was 12to15 months or so when she learned in like a day when we took the valve out. She never had bottles. However at about 6 months she could use a straw (she could do it independently, but we had better results w/ using our finger over one end). We did that when we were out to eat and she wanted some water, etc.

I never really tried giving her BM in a sippy though. I do know that some kids a very particular about the delivery method for things. I know one little boy (who's a year) who nurses but also did some bottles. Anyway, he refuses to drink regular milk from anything but a bottle.

You child may also be more inclined to take a sippy of BM if you're not around.

Julesmom23girls 09-08-2006 01:22 PM

Have you tried a cup w/ a straw. There are several out now that don't allow much leaking. We have some from munchkin that hardly leak at all. Might be something else to try. Good luck

EmnJJsMom 09-09-2006 08:08 PM

Yeah, I thought about just completely skipping the sippy cup altogether and moving her to a regular cup in a few months.

wbkt8 09-09-2006 08:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by EmnJJsMom
Yeah, I thought about just completely skipping the sippy cup altogether and moving her to a regular cup in a few months.

I considered that option. But I have to say that there are times when it's nice not to have to worry about spills (e.g., in the carseat). My DD will drink from a cup or a sippy either one.